Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 421106 times)

Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #2400 on: 16 January, 2021, 11:14:48 pm »
That’s lovely. Also, happy birthday!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2401 on: 17 January, 2021, 01:19:33 pm »
Doc Mekon:
LDWA is the closest to Audax-on-foot. They have flat and hilly events. Some walk them, some run em.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #2402 on: 17 January, 2021, 01:57:18 pm »
Definitely needs more management than cycling for me.

Half the problem is understanding what needs management and how to manage it.  I'd rather not learn through mistakes because the impact is so long lasting. I do a few glute exercises, bit of stretching etc.

Interesting that you talk about only going fast uphill, as I only had this realisation yesterday. I suspect it is the biomechanical action of running fast (longer strides etc) that causes issues so if you want to improve CV fitness and avoid these speed related issues, it means running uphill.   Hence the old steep sided valley  :thumbsup:

Ran round it this morning. It was lovely.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2403 on: 10 February, 2021, 06:32:32 pm »
did a 6k run after 14 week slump/break, fitness is down as expected, heart rate hovered around 180bpm for 4:47 pace (used to run 3:4x last autumn at that heart rate). i would need some serious training again to reach the sub-20 5k, maybe by summer if there's a will.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #2404 on: 12 February, 2021, 05:36:07 pm »
did a 6k run after 14 week slump/break, fitness is down as expected, heart rate hovered around 180bpm for 4:47 pace (used to run 3:4x last autumn at that heart rate). i would need some serious training again to reach the sub-20 5k, maybe by summer if there's a will.

In my experience it takes a while for cyclists to 'remember how to run'.  Those people I cycle with generally have the power to weight ratio, VO2 max, and general endurance to post a pretty impressive marathon time - but their running technique isn't so efficient.  Certainly my muscles aren't used to working efficiently in a running motion (e.g tight hamstrings and not fully stretching my stride impacts my speed = stride length x cadence (strides per minute).  It usually takes quite a bit of work on my running before I get up to speed - without any change in my overall fitness. 

I've had 2 years without much running due to arthritic damage to my toes.  Equipped with new orthotics I've taken it up again - but at the moment I'm 30 seconds / km slower than I was then, although my general aerobic fitness, as measured by performances on the Concept II ergo is probably slightly up.  I reckon if I can run regularly (at least once a week) by Easter I'll be going significantly quicker purely because I will have remembered how to run.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #2405 on: 12 March, 2021, 08:59:07 am »
Still not going much quicker, but have managed my first half-marathon distance in over two years.  So I'm going to stick it down here on the web to try to make me do it this time.  The goal is to run the Basingstoke Canal, from its start not far from Byfleet and New Haw station all the way back to Festival Place Basingstoke - following towpaths as far as Greywell, where the canal disappears into a collapsed tunnel and then following its course using footpaths, about 60km, hopefully in just under 6 hours.  I've had this as a goal a few times and never done it (other goals or injuries have put paid to it), so wish me luck this year
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #2406 on: 12 March, 2021, 09:04:39 am »
Wishing you luck, and pleasure, and likely success!

« Reply #2407 on: 12 March, 2021, 11:13:00 am »
Good luck.  Do you have a plan to increase your distances and prepare?

« Reply #2408 on: 12 March, 2021, 11:42:50 am »
This is bad.  Sitting on a Teams meeting but not really taking part so just googled the staffordshire millenium way from Burton to newport, 60km and less than 300ft of ascent.   I am less than 10km from the start.  I am wondering about walk/running it as a fast hike both ways over 2 days unsupported.  It would make a wonderful adventure and even walking is probably doable.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2409 on: 12 March, 2021, 12:47:21 pm »
ran 11km yesterday, after a long break, got a big blister. skin is not used to friction, just like we get sore bums starting riding audaxes after winter's hibernation.

Davef

« Reply #2410 on: 12 March, 2021, 12:59:42 pm »
Still not going much quicker, but have managed my first half-marathon distance in over two years.  So I'm going to stick it down here on the web to try to make me do it this time.  The goal is to run the Basingstoke Canal, from its start not far from Byfleet and New Haw station all the way back to Festival Place Basingstoke - following towpaths as far as Greywell, where the canal disappears into a collapsed tunnel and then following its course using footpaths, about 60km, hopefully in just under 6 hours.  I've had this as a goal a few times and never done it (other goals or injuries have put paid to it), so wish me luck this year
I would forget about the time aspect when you get to that sort of distance especially on a relatively slow surface. You are looking at the running equivalent of audax.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #2411 on: 12 March, 2021, 10:09:09 pm »
Good luck.  Do you have a plan to increase your distances and prepare?

Yes - will be the same approach as I've used before to build up distance - my longest run in my current sequence is 13.5 miles, so I will aim to do 15, 18, 21 in consecutive weeks, ease off for a week or two, and then do 21 and a marathon, mostly on trails from home, then take a two week break and go for it. 

My legs will tell me if its working.  Usually with the plan above, they feel OK up to the previous longest distance and then tighten up.  It's a formula that got me round the Dorset Coast Ultra (70km), Manhood Peninsula (50km around the coast of Selsey cutting across the top using the Chichester Canal) and Dartmoor Winter Crossing (South Brent - Okehampton - 50km in January). 

The main unknown is how my dodgy toes will hold up.  The special inserts in my shoes seem to work well so far.  I plod more, rather than rolling on my toes, but that seems to keep my pace more consistent, although about 20 seconds per kilometre slower than pre-injury. 

Time estimates are less of a goal and more of a planning aid - how much liquid to carry in a Camelbak and the amount of calories to carry in my bumbag. 

« Reply #2412 on: 12 March, 2021, 10:48:36 pm »
Thank you. I was very loosely doing something similar although not got past 25km as yet.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #2413 on: 02 April, 2021, 10:31:36 am »
Last week it was 14.3 miles, but felt strong at the end, so tackled by favourite 17 mile route today, but with a new start to reconnoitre a footpath around Blacklands Farm ahead of an attempt at a Round-Basingstoke Trail Run, which made it 18.1 miles.  Did it first thing on a cup of tea (rather than nothing).  Don't know whether it was the tea, the fact that the trails are dry at last, or that this route just has really good fast trails, but was pretty much as fast as I've ever been on this route (despite being at least 15secs/km off the pace all winter).  Result was the fastest average pace on any run I've done since a 5k last June, and my longest run since August 2018. 

So now starting to eye up the 22 mile route south of Basingstoke next Friday.

« Reply #2414 on: 08 April, 2021, 04:19:31 pm »
Good to hear the recovery and return to fitness continues CET.
I ran 10k on the Amazingstoke Canal path last night and also fancy a crack at the full distance.  Need to work on my base miles though as I'm returning from a bust toe and knee problems so I've had three months out.   Currently comfortably running 10k in 53 mins which is reasonable for me, and should be up to stead 13.1 distance at the end of the month.
You're not entering the Hampshire Hoppit in June are you?

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #2415 on: 09 April, 2021, 09:37:15 am »
Didn't have time to do the 22 mile this morning, so settled for a 17.5 mile exploration run linking Wildmoor, Sherfield-on-Loddon, Little London, Morgaston Wood and along the top of Taylors' Farm Park to Moulshay to stay on trails as much as possible and recce possible bits of the northern section of a round Basingstoke run.  Was really useful as one section wasn't obvious and I had to check the map.  Quite a bit slower than last Friday but the trails were rougher and there were a lot of stiles and gates which become more of a test.  Checked my log and it was the 75th time I've run a half-marathon distance, which really surprised me as I treat running as a bit of fun compared with cycling!

Have just checked out the Hampshire Hoppit - looks like a really good route so I might well give it a go.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #2416 on: 09 April, 2021, 05:53:45 pm »
Have entered the Hampshire Hoppit.  I broke a pint glass washing up yesterday so could do with a replacement (the finishing memento is an engraved pint glass).  And it looks like a fun event.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2417 on: 12 April, 2021, 09:41:05 pm »
after a winter slump, then lots of walking in february, i started running again in march - it's only now, after six weeks i started to feel better and 5min/k pace doesn't feel like hard work anymore. will be adding one interval session a week to gradually improve the pace/fitness.

« Reply #2418 on: 16 April, 2021, 01:21:37 pm »
Had an injury, and got back into Zwift. Fortunately, as the weather has improved, I've recovered. Bunking off this PM to run out into the peaks.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #2419 on: 16 April, 2021, 02:00:19 pm »
Woke up early this morning, so was able to get the 22-mile test piece in.  Had forgotten how tough this is (originally I set this up when training for the Dorset Coast Ultramarathon so wanted as many hills as possible - OK - North Hampshire has its limits, but it was still hilly).  Only started to tie up in the last 2km, which means it was the perfect distance.  The next step will be the around-Basingstoke trail run, probably in two weeks time.  There is no actual event, its just linking up footpaths and bridlepaths around the town which makes a surprisingly good route.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2420 on: 21 April, 2021, 11:44:56 am »
enjoyed still conditions and sunrise through the fog this morning, a welcome change from clear blue skies in the recent weeks.

P.P.

• Slowly, slowly, catchy monkey!
    • Paul's blog
« Reply #2421 on: 27 April, 2021, 06:34:07 pm »

The Basingstoke Canal makes a good long run. I did it my self from the start back to home in Basingstoke at the end of October last year (blog post here if your interested - https://pperratt.weebly.com/blog/october-31st-2020).

It took me 6:13 for 39 miles in biblical rain. There's an outside tap at the Canal centre at Mytchett, a shop just off the tow path at Fleet and a petrol station with shop at Odiham, all of which are well positioned for topping up your water and limiting what you have to carry.

Most importantly its a great route, easy to follow and a brilliant days running!

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2422 on: 28 April, 2021, 02:41:59 pm »
it's good to see how consistent running brings the desired results. when i restarted running, ten weeks ago, my flat-out sustainable pace was 4:47 @ 174bpm av.
nowadays such pace feels like jolly trot, 4:45 @ 152bpm av.

« Reply #2423 on: 05 May, 2021, 09:52:06 am »
Completed the "Big Way Round" 19 mile trail event round Winchester on Monday.  A decent step up on the longest distance I've ever run before.  Completed in 3 hours 15 minutes - average just over 10 minute miles.  Dead happy with that.  Have been eating ever since but the legs seem ok.  Generally rather tired though.  I was hanging on for the last three miles but ran the lot.  It's clear I need to to a few more > half marathon distance runs before I attempt a half respectable marathon.  Or, just walk a lot  ::-)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2424 on: 05 May, 2021, 01:35:20 pm »
19mi is a looong way, well done, i wouldn't dare such a distance just yet.

i've had my first fast effort this season, managed a 19:27 5k, pretty pleased. no aches or niggles so far, so hopefully can train properly now for my secret sub-18 aspiration.