Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 400092 times)

Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #1600 on: 07 February, 2017, 01:57:08 pm »
The hill just after the golf course always catches me ...
Me too!

« Reply #1601 on: 09 February, 2017, 12:05:18 pm »
48km in the last 7 days and legs feel great, tomorrow is rest (apart from cycle ride home) but have parkrun on Saturday morning and then I'm off for half term (including 4 days skiing).

Feeling a lot more confident about upcoming marathon (8 weeks!) than I was a few weeks ago, surprising how quickly I've slotted straight back into the training.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #1602 on: 16 February, 2017, 08:15:32 am »
Can I run every day in Feb without getting injured? 

So far, yes.  Will report back in a week!

(only about 30-40 minutes most days, quite slowly, with walking breaks.  Just trying to build some kind of base)

still going.. have taken 1 day off each week, when I've been commuting too early and out too late to get a run in, but it's going quite well! No injuries yet.

« Reply #1603 on: 25 February, 2017, 04:45:49 pm »
First parkrun since, good grief, November.
The time was 'not bad considering' and part of the considering was that I'd walked/jogged there and back which doubles the distance and adds 150m of climb before the start of the parkrun itself.
It was good to be back but I am suffering a bit now!
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #1604 on: 02 March, 2017, 09:29:18 am »
Can I run every day in Feb without getting injured? 

So far, yes.  Will report back in a week!

(only about 30-40 minutes most days, quite slowly, with walking breaks.  Just trying to build some kind of base)

still going.. have taken 1 day off each week, when I've been commuting too early and out too late to get a run in, but it's going quite well! No injuries yet.

done.  No injuries, distance up to 7 - 10k per run, pace is improving too.  Stuck with walk / run, in a 5/1 ratio and it seems to work.

plan now is to cut it down to 3 runs / week and try and gradually get quicker and longer (and add in some weights and rowing)

« Reply #1605 on: 02 March, 2017, 10:51:52 am »
Good work!

For getting faster I'd recommend one session of intervals a week (to replace one of your normal runs).

I picked a relatively flat loop near me (1km away so I could jog there/back as warm up and cool down). The loop itself was about 1km long and didn't involve crossing roads so I never had to stop/wait. And I used my Garmin (Forerunner 920xt) to tell me what to do since I can program it with exact workouts (e.g. warm up until lap button pressed, then do 1km at 5:45/km, 90s recovery, repeat last two steps 8 times, cool down until lap button pressed) - once I press the lap button to finish the warm up it shouts at me what to do and tells me if my pace is too slow/fast, no more button presses are required until I finish the cool down by arriving back home.

Here's an example: https://www.strava.com/activities/505300803
[EDIT] Slightly better on Garmin Connect: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1068148304

I used 3 different interval lengths, just rotate through them and increase the number of intervals by one each time (see order below):-

800m: 6 x 800m building up to 10 x 800m. 90s recovery (walk) in between each. Pace is current 5k pace (which I got from doing Parkrun).
1000m: 5 x 1km building up to 8 x 1km. 100s recovery (walk) in between each. Pace is 10k pace or slightly quicker than threshold (*).
1600m: 4 x mile building up to 6 x mile. 120s recovery (walk) in between each. Pace is 10k pace or slightly quicker than threshold (*).

* I used the McMillan pace calculator (https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/) to get the exact paces based on my 5k times. With a 26:16 parkrun I was using 5:15/km for the 800m intervals and 5:34/km for the 1km/1mile intervals. When my 5k went down to 24:16 these intervals really started to hurt!

As your speed improves you need to adjust these paces appropriately. Either do a regular timed run (e.g. parkrun) or keep an eye on the HR during the intervals, if your HRmax for a certain set of intervals begins to drop then it may be time to up the pace. (e.g. Greg LeMond's  "It doesn't get any easier, you just get faster.")

The distances start off lowish (~5km, plus some walking, plus 1km of jogging at each of the start/end) but soon build up to each being 10-11km. The rough order I built up over the 12 weeks was:-

6 x 800m = 4.8km
5 x 1km = 5km
7 x 800m = 5.6km
6 x 1km = 6km
8 x 800m = 6.4km
4 x 1600m = 6.4km
7 x 1km = 7km
9 x 800m = 7.2km
8 x 1km = 8km
5 x 1600m = 8km
10 x 800m = 8km
6 x 1600m = 9.6km

As with intervals on the bike, the first few may seem easy, but by the last one you'll be in a world of fun. I kind of enjoyed the 10x800m but 6x1600m was not fun. No need to thank me!

I need to get back into them, although it's only ~5 weeks until the marathon so they're not really going to do much. Oops.

Blazer

• One too many mornings and a thousand miles behind
« Reply #1606 on: 03 March, 2017, 04:05:24 pm »
January continued well for me and February delivered 110 miles and I'm pretty much on plan.

This morning's run was a bu@@er!  Feeling a bit under the weather but had a 13 mile run to do to end the week.  Got round but have tweaked the tendon on the top of my foot.  I think I can afford a few days until the next run, or rather I think I'm going to have to take a few days to let it calm down.

In other news, I've entered the National 400.  I really enjoyed the BC a few years ago so am looking forward to a jaunt across Wales and back.

Cheers

Blazer

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #1607 on: 05 March, 2017, 04:56:14 pm »
I did the Milton Keynes Festival of Running 20 mile race this morning.  When I entered in late 2016 the plan was to see if I could dip under 2 hours. However, I have only really managed two decent weeks of training in 2017 having lost January & first few weeks of February to a (viral?) infection. Nevermind, after the glorious spring like weather at ParkRun on Saturday I was looking forward to the race and hoping for sub 2:10.

The weather at 9.30am in Milton Keynes was not spring like. Cold, windy and raining. Everyone was muttering about what to wear. I felt silly for not having my arm warmers, but at least I had some gloves, which stayed on for the first quarter of the race.

We were told before we set off some of the underpasses may be damp. After 1½ miles we discovered that was an euphemism for totally flooded and had to run through thigh deep water. Oh well, only another 18½ miles to go with trainers full of water. On the bright side there was now no point avoiding any of the puddles.

The first 15 miles I ran with another guy who was also targeting sub 2:10, which we were on course to do.  He pushed on and I couldn't keep up, a lack of miles in my legs was starting to tell. However I went through 18 miles still 30 seconds up and then lost a load of time fighting into a headwind on the final climbs. I wasn't the only person to suffer and there were people walking because of the wind. In the end I finished just outside the 2:10 target.

Now time to recover, get some more mile in this week and then it's the Dartford half next Sunday. That'll seem short after the 20 miles today.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #1608 on: 06 March, 2017, 09:28:22 am »
I did the Milton Keynes Festival of Runnung 20 mile race this morning....

Now time to recover, get some more mile in this week and then it's the Dartford half next Sunday. That'll seem short after the 20 miles today.

Good work, Adam!

« Reply #1609 on: 06 March, 2017, 07:48:27 pm »
Moved my long run to today as I was busy yesterday and off work today. A half-marathon from Putney down to and through Richmond Park (Roehampton Gate to Richmond Gate), down Richmond Hill to the Thames Path and then next to the river all the way back to Putney. 2h17 although HR was higher than I'd wanted.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1606511513

Did not enjoy running it, but I enjoy having run it.

4 and a bit weeks to Brighton. Have a 24 km long run this weekend and then the 3 laps of Richmond Park (35km) nightmare the weekend after that. Then the taper has two long runs of 19km and 16km.

Going to be 4kg heavier than last year, with less training. Hoping to beat last years' time though, if only by 7 and a bit minutes.

« Reply #1610 on: 07 March, 2017, 11:47:44 am »
From the Novice Running thread (https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=87293.50) as I don't want derail that thread.

1. I think my duration increase went something along the lines of: 20, 22, 24, 26, 28, 30, 33, 36, 39, 42, 46, 50, 55, 60.

Are those weekly miles totals or KMs?

Durations (minutes). They're how I interpreted a maximum weekly 10% increase.

What were your 5k times like at 83 and 92kgs?   I'm at 96 kgs currently (down from 120). Be interesting to know how much quicker a further 10kgs would equate to.

Don't have a 5k time for 83kg but I did do a comfortable HM in 2h06 at 83kg. From my logs of 5k times:-

92kg: 28m45
86kg: 24m24

But I was less fit at that 92kg as it was at the start of my running. I'm close to 92kg now and I can probably do a 27m 5k, my corresponding 86kg time would probably be faster too.

If you fill in your run time, distance and weight here: http://fellrnr.com/wiki/Running_Calculator

then one of the sections (6.2 Weight Adjusted Race Times) estimates your performance at different weights.

For my 86kg 24m24 5k it gives me 23m13 at 81kg.

It only does 5kg less to 5kg more at a time, but you can put the time/weight from the 5kg less result back in and get a time for 10kg less, repeat etc all the way to your desired weight.

Putting 81kg 23m13 5k it gives me 22m00 at 76kg, so a sub 22 5k is my next major target given that's my maximum ideal weight (76kg is BMI=25 for me, last seen in 2009 just before fatherhood).

The more overweight you are the less accurate the predictions are for the longer runs as the extra bulk you're carrying around takes its toll. I'd track reasonably well on the progress of 5k and 10k improvements but I could never get close to the HM times suggested based on my weight and 5k time. Marathon even less so (although only a single data point).

I liked the fellrnr calculator results though as it gave me hope that by losing the weight I'd get considerably faster and this was backed up by my decreasing run times as I lost weight. Shame I put all of the weight back on.

« Reply #1611 on: 07 March, 2017, 11:53:08 am »
From the Novice Running thread (https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=87293.50) as I don't want derail that thread.

1. I think my duration increase went something along the lines of: 20, 22, 24, 26, 28, 30, 33, 36, 39, 42, 46, 50, 55, 60.

Are those weekly miles totals or KMs?

Durations (minutes). They're how I interpreted a maximum weekly 10% increase.

What were your 5k times like at 83 and 92kgs?   I'm at 96 kgs currently (down from 120). Be interesting to know how much quicker a further 10kgs would equate to.

Don't have a 5k time for 83kg but I did do a comfortable HM in 2h06 at 83kg. From my logs of 5k times:-

92kg: 28m45
86kg: 24m24

But I was less fit at that 92kg as it was at the start of my running. I'm close to 92kg now and I can probably do a 27m 5k, my corresponding 86kg time would probably be faster too.

If you fill in your run time, distance and weight here: http://fellrnr.com/wiki/Running_Calculator

then one of the sections (6.2 Weight Adjusted Race Times) estimates your performance at different weights.

For my 86kg 24m24 5k it gives me 23m13 at 81kg.

It only does 5kg less to 5kg more at a time, but you can put the time/weight from the 5kg less result back in and get a time for 10kg less, repeat etc all the way to your desired weight.

Putting 81kg 23m13 5k it gives me 22m00 at 76kg, so a sub 22 5k is my next major target given that's my maximum ideal weight (76kg is BMI=25 for me, last seen in 2009 just before fatherhood).

The more overweight you are the less accurate the predictions are for the longer runs as the extra bulk you're carrying around takes its toll. I'd track reasonably well on the progress of 5k and 10k improvements but I could never get close to the HM times suggested based on my weight and 5k time. Marathon even less so (although only a single data point).

I liked the fellrnr calculator results though as it gave me hope that by losing the weight I'd get considerably faster and this was backed up by my decreasing run times as I lost weight.

This is great, thanks.

I have entered Abingdon marathon which is very local to me and pancake flat.   Gives me a solid 7 months to train.   Its a marathon that seems to be favored by club runners for PBs (not many costumes about!) so there is a good chance I will be right at the back.  While this is fine, there is also a 5 hour limit in place.   

The pacing guide you linked to seems to have me running a 4.27 marathon currently which is encouraging.   I would hope to be at around 80-85kgs when I start so that gives me much more wiggle room..... just need to lose another 10-15kgs to get there now.

I haven't really ever fully gone at a 5k yet so I am not really sure what I am capable of.   I am now able to run 3 x 8 min intervals at 12.5mph on the treadmill ...once I am more confident running at pace, on road, without breaking I think I will go and have a go at our local park run for some timed efforts

I could do with a garmin watch too for on road intervals but at the moment im happy doing those on the more forgiving surface of the treadmill

« Reply #1612 on: 07 March, 2017, 12:51:13 pm »
Just be careful with the marathon estimates, it's all too easy to be convinced that you'll be fine based on what a spreadsheet says.

On every long training run up to 30km I was fine. Some of those runs hurt, not many were enjoyable, but I ran every bit of every one of them (up to and including the 29km run).

I went through 30k of my one and only marathon in 3h22 (hoping for sub-4h45) but it all went bang shortly after that. I ended up taking 1h45 for the last 12k as my legs just felt empty.

Funnily enough I had exactly the same problem on last long run 3 weeks out (35km) where my legs went bang at 31km. I resorted to doing 100m walk and 900m jog all the way to the finish.

I'd hoped that the remaining training (and the fact that the marathon was much flatter than many of my training runs) would mean I could push it out to the full 42.2km with a bit of grim determination. Obviously not.

I've got that same 35km run in just under 2 weeks' time. It's going to be make or break for this years' marathon.

There's a reason they say that 20 miles is the halfway point of a marathon.

« Reply #1613 on: 07 March, 2017, 01:01:47 pm »
Just be careful with the marathon estimates, it's all too easy to be convinced that you'll be fine based on what a spreadsheet says.

On every long training run up to 30km I was fine. Some of those runs hurt, not many were enjoyable, but I ran every bit of every one of them (up to and including the 29km run).

I went through 30k of my one and only marathon in 3h22 (hoping for sub-4h45) but it all went bang shortly after that. I ended up taking 1h45 for the last 12k as my legs just felt empty.

Funnily enough I had exactly the same problem on last long run 3 weeks out (35km) where my legs went bang at 31km. I resorted to doing 100m walk and 900m jog all the way to the finish.

I'd hoped that the remaining training (and the fact that the marathon was much flatter than many of my training runs) would mean I could push it out to the full 42.2km with a bit of grim determination. Obviously not.

I've got that same 35km run in just under 2 weeks' time. It's going to be make or break for this years' marathon.

There's a reason they say that 20 miles is the halfway point of a marathon.

Thanks - yes this makes sense.  I think my brain gets ahead of itself with running, I am used to 8 hour plus efforts on a bike .... its easy to assume you can just keep going on foot too.  I know that is not true as on my weekly long run I am only too aware when I start to get close to adding on the 10% from the week before.   

As I have a good amount of time to train Im wondering if it might be prudent to actually aim at some 20+ mile runs in training enough time out from October to allow me to recover, rebuild and taper.   Most marathon plans only have you going up to 20 miles once or twice but none seem to suggest going over it.    I guess I need to read more on that (I think it would largely be a mental benefit)- my feeling is as its my first time its probably best to build up to one marathon rather than having to recover from one in training then go again for the real thing?

« Reply #1614 on: 07 March, 2017, 03:31:04 pm »
I'd look for a training plan that fits most closely with your time limits (7 months) rather than trying to adapt a shorter one to do more of what you think may be necessary. Plenty of the intermediate plans start on the assumption that you can already do several 10km runs a week so they don't spend the first 6 weeks or so building up to that point. The periodisation and various base/build/peak/taper phases that most plans are built upon are easily disrupted if the plans are meddled with.

Running a marathon during training before you've ever run a marathon just seems the wrong way to go about it. Sure if you had 12 months then it would be possible to build to a first marathon as a training run and then recover and rebuild for the real one, but for a first marathon in under 8 months you'd be best focusing on that as the first time you ever attempt full distance. Unless you're mentally strong then a solo marathon attempt could just kill off all enthusiasm for long distance running.

I'm hoping to build up to more frequent long distance runs (extend one of my run commutes to a half marathon every month - I did this for a while and enjoyed it) and keep this going throughout the year but any ideas of doing training marathons is out of the question until I can at least complete one according to plan, ideally in a good time (3:45 or faster for me) and a negative split (i.e. second half faster than the first half).

« Reply #1615 on: 07 March, 2017, 04:06:50 pm »
Running a marathon during training before you've ever run a marathon just seems the wrong way to go about it. Sure if you had 12 months then it would be possible to build to a first marathon as a training run and then recover and rebuild for the real one, but for a first marathon in under 8 months you'd be best focusing on that as the first time you ever attempt full distance. Unless you're mentally strong then a solo marathon attempt could just kill off all enthusiasm for long distance running.
Agreed.  For many, one of the big motivating factors in racing a marathon is the fact that it's a 'longest distance run'.  I've only done one marathon, but although my training went up to 24 miles, and I did half a dozen 20+ mile runs, (so I was pretty sure I'd be able to cope with the time on my feet), I didn't do 26.2 until the day itself.

« Reply #1616 on: 08 March, 2017, 06:02:43 pm »
Did a training session for my daughter this afternoon. She's 7 and doing the mini-mile as part of the Brighton Marathon weekend. She's done a few parkruns with me (at her request, I'd never push her to do it, ~44min PB and, unsurprisingly, terrible pacing) but she/we have no idea what pace to use for a mile.

Bimbled over to Wimbledon Common after school and used my Garmin to pace us for a 12 minute mile out-and-back down Windmill Road. I ran the pace according to the Garmin and told her to focus on keeping it steady and to tell me if it was too fast, she had a blast and we were able to pick up the pace slightly in the last half of the return leg and she was confident enough to put in a sprint finish coming in bang on 11:30 for the mile. Not bad for a first attempt especially given the boggy conditions.

I'll set the pace for a 11min mile next week and keep chipping away as long as she is having fun (although there are glimmers of my belligerence in her). I reckon she will be able to dip under 10 minutes.

(We're definitely not going to trouble the front of the race, the fastest 7/8 year old girl last year ran a 6:36 mile!)

(7:07/km is a gentle recovery run pace for me, certainly needed it after the HM two days ago but I think this will quickly escalate to beyond a recovery run.)

« Reply #1617 on: 11 March, 2017, 06:24:24 pm »
Had a fun morning with my 5 year old daughter this morning .... we did 10 miles together which is her longest bike ride and my longest run.   Pace was well down due to escorting her across roads and picking her up off the floor a few times but I felt pretty good finishing.   Think I could have comfortable done a half marathon at that pace so I guess that is the next level for my long run to hit.  Great to see the elation she got from struggling but getting around...hopefully she catches the bug now!

αdαmsκι

« Reply #1618 on: 11 March, 2017, 09:51:23 pm »
I did the Milton Keynes Festival of Running 20 mile race this morning ...

We were told before we set off some of the underpasses may be damp. After 1½ miles we discovered that was an euphemism for totally flooded and had to run through thigh deep water. Oh well, only another 18½ miles to go with trainers full of water.

I found this image on Twitter of said flood:

After a beautiful Saturday guess what the forecast is for tomorrow when I'm doing the Dartford half?

What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

« Reply #1619 on: 12 March, 2017, 03:40:09 pm »
28km today, tried to keep HR under 155 and pace at 6:40/km. The first 21km were fine and then legs started to complain.

Maybe shouldn't have started on an empty stomach having had no breakfast (I did have 3 gels with me though).
Maybe shouldn't have done that having already done 40km of running in the 6 days before.
Maybe shouldn't have had 6 pints yesterday watching the rugby and the football.

Anyway, it's done. Tomorrow will just be a swim (with a pull buoy between my legs to give them a rest). A week with a few runs to keep my legs ticking over and then a 35km long run next Sunday. Then it's the start of glorious taper time.

Ugh.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1620 on: 12 March, 2017, 07:16:08 pm »
I did the Milton Keynes Festival of Running 20 mile race this morning ...

We were told before we set off some of the underpasses may be damp. After 1½ miles we discovered that was an euphemism for totally flooded and had to run through thigh deep water. Oh well, only another 18½ miles to go with trainers full of water.

I found this image on Twitter of said flood:

;D
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

αdαmsκι

« Reply #1621 on: 16 March, 2017, 08:57:33 pm »
Anyway, it's done. Tomorrow will just be a swim (with a pull buoy between my legs to give them a rest). A week with a few runs to keep my legs ticking over and then a 35km long run next Sunday. Then it's the start of glorious taper time.

Feeling ready for your 35 km run on Sunday?

I've managed 100 km over the past seven days, but I really need to do some longer runs. So far I've only done two runs that are over half marathon distance (one was 24.5 km and second was 32 km).

« Reply #1622 on: 17 March, 2017, 12:30:46 am »

Feeling ready for your 35 km run on Sunday?

I've managed 100 km over the past seven days, but I really need to do some longer runs. So far I've only done two runs that are over half marathon distance (one was 24.5 km and second was 32 km).

Nice total, I'm hoping to build up to that kind of weekly distance, but at my weight (BMI of 30) it's probably better I sort out that problem before building up the miles stupidly.

As for the 35km run. Ha. No, but yes, of course I'm looking forward to it. Can't be worse than last year; I aimed for 3 laps of Richmond Park in 4h nice and even, in reality it was 1h12, 1h18, 1h30. On Sunday I'll aim for a more sensible option of 1h20, 1h20, 1h20 without any walking. 30km is where my legs gave in during the marathon last year, I'm hoping to get past that point this year.

I did 7h 12m running in 7 days last week (not including an hour of 5-a-side); only 68km at my sloth like pace (I'm embracing easy runs at close to 7m/km, and some of that was 5-a-side where you generally only go at 4km over an hour).

1h3m so far this week (plus 1h40m of 5-a-side), but I'll do a 50m easy run tomorrow and a gentle parkrun (~30m) on Saturday to bring it up to 2h20m. The 35km run will be ~4h so that will bring me up to close to 6h20m for the week.

It must be something to do with the long distance swimming and long distance cycling background that I think it quite normal to go out and do a half marathon or more as a training run, on an empty stomach, and still have parenting and other such stuff to do the rest of the day.

I can run half marathons more than once a week with ease but haven't worked out how not to fall apart post 30km... (Getting back down to 76kg instead of being 92kg may make a big difference to this...)

Blazer

• One too many mornings and a thousand miles behind
« Reply #1623 on: 17 March, 2017, 07:28:49 pm »
A mixed couple of weeks​ for me.

I rested the toe after the tweak a couple of weeks ago.  Reduced mileage (10km and a bike ride) and then an 18 mile run last Friday.  Very enjoyable at the time but painful to walk over the weekend.

Physio on Monday and most likely injury is to the big toe joint.  Ideally needs 2 weeks rest so into a revised running pattern of no running until today but cross train on the bike.

Completed 19 miles over an extended lunch today and toe feels ok.  Will see how it settles and if needed will opt for cross training on the bike and skip the next long run on physio's advice.  Pleased with today's effort as I've been away within work and driven over 500 miles in last 48 hours.

Resolved to enjoy the day on the VLM and soak up the atmosphere rather than get too concerned on following a specific pace.

Cheers

Blazer

« Reply #1624 on: 18 March, 2017, 10:48:27 am »
Running park run as an easy run is hard. So much temptation to pick up the pace and overtake people. Avoiding knocking on the door of the vomitorium at the end (no sprint finish for me) was nice though.

Make or break tomorrow...

[EDIT] Hungover from impromtu post-football drinks with the other parents. Luckily I don't work on Mondays so I can do the run tomorrow. Will be a good test of anti-chafe strategy with the forecast rain...