Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 429511 times)

Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #2375 on: 02 November, 2020, 01:40:48 pm »
Forgot to post that I did a 54km run the other week in celebration of my mate being 55 the week after - he's done loads of ultras, whereas this is the first time I've gone over 40km. Rolled my ankle at 27km, and given we were coming off Bleaklow, no choice but to tough it out. It's still hugely swollen and black and blue. I regret nothing! Found an ace bothy too - opens on to a waterfall. Plan to do another 50km run out into the Peaks towards the end of the month.

« Reply #2376 on: 02 November, 2020, 01:49:58 pm »
Very nice! What was the solution for crossing that river? It looks too far for a jump to the bank, and jumping to the slippery looking rocks seems a bit unwise.

« Reply #2377 on: 02 November, 2020, 01:59:46 pm »
Falling in further up :thumbsup:

I took the hit and walked through. At that stage, we didn't realise we'd be knee deep in peat soup later on. I went in up to my thighs in one bog. lucky not to lose my shoes - gaiters definitely helped.

« Reply #2378 on: 02 November, 2020, 04:09:50 pm »
Did I read somewhere about sewing the gaiters on?

« Reply #2379 on: 02 November, 2020, 08:11:47 pm »
Mine are just the one that go with my Altras. I hear the alpkit ones are good too.

« Reply #2380 on: 02 November, 2020, 10:24:18 pm »
Forgot to post that I did a 54km run the other week in celebration of my mate being 55 the week after - he's done loads of ultras, whereas this is the first time I've gone over 40km. Rolled my ankle at 27km, and given we were coming off Bleaklow, no choice but to tough it out. It's still hugely swollen and black and blue. I regret nothing! Found an ace bothy too - opens on to a waterfall. Plan to do another 50km run out into the Peaks towards the end of the month.

:thumbsup: applause! Looks beautiful.

I'm toying with the idea of a 50km next year. My enthusiasm for big bike trips is limited with the uncertainty about making travel plans.

Right now, I'm wondering why I get an ache under my right knee. I don't feel it particularly when running, and it might be from falling over a couple of months back, spending too long sat at my desk, or too few in the week runs as easily as running style / distance.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2381 on: 02 November, 2020, 11:10:10 pm »
a (shortened) vaulting pole would come in handy for jumping over those streams. great scenery!

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #2382 on: 03 November, 2020, 05:39:43 am »
Looks brilliant.  Hopefully the ankle heals quickly.  I've found that I spend the first part of a run on a wet day trying to keep feet dry and, when they inevitably get soaked, spending the rest of it not caring how wet I get if the best foot placements are under water...  Then I wonder why I tried to keep my feet dry for so long?
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #2383 on: 03 November, 2020, 12:47:52 pm »
That looks amazing. hope your ankle recovers quickly.

I would really like to be able to do runs like that (even if a lot slower).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2384 on: 03 November, 2020, 05:16:00 pm »
I have dug out my running hat and gloves for tomorrow. 'Feels like' 2ºC forecast for the time I will be going out.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #2385 on: 03 November, 2020, 07:14:03 pm »
The local jogging club have a 5k route not far from my house. I have ran this 3 times now and my times are improving but I definitely miss other people to run with/against.

« Reply #2386 on: 04 November, 2020, 02:37:50 pm »
If anyone fancies a run in the Peak District, I'm usually up for bunking off work on a Friday. I live near Langsett Reservoir, which puts the Cut Gate path in easy reach, which then puts a straight run to Derwent, a left turn out to Margery / High Stones / Back Tor, or a right turn to Bleaklow (and on to Kinder) all in reach. 

« Reply #2387 on: 04 November, 2020, 02:55:50 pm »
I live near Langsett Reservoir, which puts the Cut Gate path in easy reach, which then puts a straight run to Derwent, a left turn out to Margery / High Stones / Back Tor, or a right turn to Bleaklow (and on to Kinder) all in reach.

Sounds rubbish. Why don't you move to the middle of a cramped dirty city where you have to drive 5 miles in no less than 30 minutes to get to a patch of grass that is bigger than a football field?
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #2388 on: 04 November, 2020, 06:04:43 pm »
If anyone fancies a run in the Peak District, I'm usually up for bunking off work on a Friday. I live near Langsett Reservoir, which puts the Cut Gate path in easy reach, which then puts a straight run to Derwent, a left turn out to Margery / High Stones / Back Tor, or a right turn to Bleaklow (and on to Kinder) all in reach.

Likely taker in the spring - it’s been a while since I ran over kinder or bleaklow. Continued work will, I hope, see me able to do some longer runs again. Not sure I’m up for 55km yet mind.

« Reply #2389 on: 05 November, 2020, 09:09:10 am »
Still got "Classic DOMS" from my first 5k in 2 months on Monday followed by 5-a-side on Tuesday night, but it's waning.

Not sure if I can face going out for a run today (the correct answer is that I'll feel better for having done so).

« Reply #2390 on: 05 November, 2020, 11:32:03 am »
I live near Langsett Reservoir, which puts the Cut Gate path in easy reach, which then puts a straight run to Derwent, a left turn out to Margery / High Stones / Back Tor, or a right turn to Bleaklow (and on to Kinder) all in reach.

Sounds rubbish. Why don't you move to the middle of a cramped dirty city where you have to drive 5 miles in no less than 30 minutes to get to a patch of grass that is bigger than a football field?

I would, but unless you can get stone cottages with walls 50cm thick for £90k, it's out of my price range.

« Reply #2391 on: 05 November, 2020, 11:41:05 am »

Likely taker in the spring - it’s been a while since I ran over kinder or bleaklow. Continued work will, I hope, see me able to do some longer runs again. Not sure I’m up for 55km yet mind.

That would be great. I didn't do a 5km until April, and a 10km until May. I've just done about half an hour a day of yoga to try to ward off injuries using the down dog app. Until I rolled my ankle, I've had no problems so far.

« Reply #2392 on: 05 November, 2020, 08:36:30 pm »
Not sure if I can face going out for a run today (the correct answer is that I'll feel better for having done so).

And indeed I do feel better for having gone for a run.

« Reply #2393 on: 06 November, 2020, 04:18:00 pm »
I've had a few injuries of late. The finger dislocation back in August still isn't fully healed. That's apparently entirely normal. Then in early September I had a niggle in my ankle that turned into some sort of achilles injury. I think this may have been caused by using both my road shoes and trail shoes too long so they weren't giving the required support and allowing by toes to splay out. I eased of a bit, doing shorter runs (but twice a day), some specific exercises and ball massage for both the leg and foot. 

Although I've been able to do up to 2x 10km for a couple of weeks now, I've only managed to get back up to 15km for a single run in the last week or so. I tried it about 3 weeks ago and it wasn't very nice. Basically, eventually the 'niggle' turns into discomfort which turns into pain. In the last couple of weeks there's no noticeable niggle over a standard 10km. Today I decided to try a long run, undefined distance over 20km. No achilles pain, but big chunks of it felt hard. The pace to 23km was fairly solid (2 hours), but the last 8km to get to 31km was over sand dunes and dune slack, so the pace went to shit a bit. Longest run to date. Cardio-vascular is fine; legs are reasonably ok; feet generally hurt. Hopefully will get 35km in a single run soon. Dogs likely to sleep for the rest of the afternoon.

« Reply #2394 on: 30 November, 2020, 09:22:42 am »
Back in August I signed up for a virtual challenge to run the distance of LEJoG (1420km). The time period allowed was 1 year, which works out at just 4 km per day, and walking could be included (if logged, which I don't). I finished mine last week, which works out as 11.5 km every day since 1st August. I can go back to doing some speed work now!

« Reply #2395 on: 16 January, 2021, 05:37:59 pm »
I was 48 this week, so planned a run with a mate. Lockdown put paid to that, so I rejigged the route to avoid Derbyshire, and ran out and back to Dovestone Tor on my own. A bit over 51km all in.

Strava - https://www.strava.com/activities/4625161253

« Reply #2396 on: 16 January, 2021, 05:43:51 pm »
Wow,  Soulfood.

« Reply #2397 on: 16 January, 2021, 05:49:25 pm »
Yes, got lucky with the weather. Don't think I saw more than 10 people all day, and about half were skiers.

« Reply #2398 on: 16 January, 2021, 05:56:39 pm »
A bit jealous

I've started running again this year, after a nasty glute strain in may. I've realised I don't like pavements, or flat straight tracks at all so I bought a grippier pair of trail shoes that are amazing in mud.  I have no fitness issues with distance other than not wanting to overdo it so I'm working up slowly. It takes me a good 15 minutes before things start to flow nicely, which is a bit annoying as my actual runs are limited to abou 20-30 minutes at the moment. Got a 50 minute run tomorrow, which will enable me to head into a long, steep sided hidden valley, thickly forested with a myriad of empty trails, a folly, an unfinished gothic mansion and boating lakes.  The aim is to try and get up to about 13 mile runs in April.

« Reply #2399 on: 16 January, 2021, 06:46:00 pm »
I started in January last year after a year+ off with a horrible hip flexor injury. I've definitely found that a training peaks PMC / Strava fitness and freshness approach pays dividends in terms of avoiding injury, and paying no attention at all at going fast anywhere other than uphill. Definitely needs more management than cycling for me. Feel the same about pavement or flat stuff.

I wish there was an audax equivalent for running. I've joined a FRA club (Dark Peak), but I'm not sure I'll ever have the dexterity to do what they do. I only got to go once before they stopped club nights, but I hit 186 BPM hanging off the back of the medium group - terrifying lot. Nicky Spinks runs training sessions just up[ the hill from me. I might go along when they restart if I am feeling brave.

Love a folly - you can just make out Boot's Folly in the bottom right - https://peakedinterest.co.uk/2016/05/21/boots-folly/