Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3903420 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #18525 on: 23 March, 2015, 07:23:43 pm »
8.7 miles to Windsor and back with Mrs cycleman who had a hospital appointment there . :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #18526 on: 24 March, 2015, 04:48:46 pm »
'Twas Saturday not today. Seems I arrived too late for the last boat across.
They laughed when I said I was going to be a stand-up comedian. They're not laughing now.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #18527 on: 24 March, 2015, 05:38:02 pm »
79k dander with club prez, punctuated by a stop at an Italian ice-cream/coffee shop in Germany for a spot of stracciatella and a couple of eyebathfuls of reasonable coffee.  Once I dropped the prez off I had some fun chasing a young feller on a carbon butterfly on the last 10k home. Good thing my HRM wasn't working, I'd have felt guilty. Good time had by all.

Took the rack off the bike the other day and put the Koala on instead. It's all zing now. Fun!
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #18528 on: 24 March, 2015, 05:56:33 pm »
Made the most of a hailstorm by doing some off roading in Richmond Park
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

« Reply #18529 on: 24 March, 2015, 07:31:01 pm »
30.30 miles with Jonathan notp to moss end garden village and back. Average 7 mph  :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #18530 on: 25 March, 2015, 09:43:22 pm »
Took the lanes into Peterborough to pick up a tarp because I cannot fit everything into the new garage.
It is now a 50 mile round trip from the new house.
It made a very nice change from moving boxes.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #18531 on: 25 March, 2015, 10:08:51 pm »
A pleasant 35 miles around the lanes with a pub lunch* en route ... all part of my recovery process (q.v.) taking it fairly slowly (11.9mph average) building up the distances before trying to go a bit faster.  On the Van Nicholas Yukon which I hadn't ridden since mid-April 2014.  Glorious.

... weather permitting another 35/40 mile tomorrow ....

Rob

* 3 course Old Codger lunch for £7.95  :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #18532 on: 25 March, 2015, 10:24:30 pm »
I was in Disley, with a bike and no plans for a couple of hours this afternoon.  It wasn't raining so it would have been rude not to go for a pootle.

25km of Bastard Hills and Comedy Off-Roading (on a Mildly Inappropriate Bike), featuring rather a lot of this:

More of this than I anticipated (the effect is truly horrid on small wheels):

And far too much of this:

Bike was suspiciously clean at the end of it, unlike my boots.

« Reply #18533 on: 25 March, 2015, 10:31:22 pm »
^
*Ride envy*
Stuck in windowless office.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #18534 on: 26 March, 2015, 03:53:06 pm »
I've just got back from a purposeful little jaunt up to Whitminster. Straight up the A38 for about 25 miles, then meandering back along the lanes through Cam, Charfield and Tytherington.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #18535 on: 28 March, 2015, 03:34:37 pm »
I had never been up on Calbeck Common in the dry, so with the weather forecast saying it was going to be sunny, I took myself up to Cockermouth and did a loop round the northern Edge of the Lakes. Up through Uldale and Up Uldale Common onto Caldbeck Common

Then on to Calbeck village to visit the Cafe. After that I climbed over to Mungrisdale to pick up the C2C route and headed back through Keswick and over Whinlatter Pass to finish. There was a ford (where nothing happened because I used the bridge instead), a gated road, and a gravelly off road rail path into Keswick. 70km, 1050m climbing and though not hot, and a bit hazy, very nice weather :)

hi mcshroom
             that looks a great route ...one for when I get fitness back to were it was   :thumbsup:

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #18536 on: 28 March, 2015, 04:05:38 pm »
Cycled out to Ashton Keynes this morning to help out with the marshalling at Swindon RC's "come-and-try-it" 10mi TT.

31 riders, I think, in partly dry but somewhat grotty conditions. Thankfully no-one came to any grief on the incredibly helpful(!) patch of diesel right on the apex of the turn-around roundabout, although one of a group of guys just passing while out for a ride took a little tumble on it. Nice mix of seasoned TT'ers and novices too.

The drizzle continued to get worse towards the end, and by the time I headed back up to the clubhouse it'd turned into proper rain so I had a quick cuppa and eventually headed back into the soggy headwind for the slog home.

« Reply #18537 on: 28 March, 2015, 10:33:33 pm »
This pm went for a good 85km ride through Wheatley and around Otmoor, then a loop around via Cumnor.    Had some rain, but nothing too bad; windy but OK.  Also sampled my homemade flapjack for the first time on a ride, in Charlton-on-Otmoor for a brief stop, very nice even if I say so myself...   Saw a couple of Roe Deer close up too.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #18538 on: 29 March, 2015, 12:21:25 am »
No ride for me, Andy but I am reading "The Blanket Of The Dark", a John Buchan novel, which is set round there!

« Reply #18539 on: 29 March, 2015, 10:55:57 am »
No ride for me, Andy but I am reading "The Blanket Of The Dark", a John Buchan novel, which is set round there!

That's interesting thanks, I've just had a look at The Blanket of the Dark; it seems these are the "Seven towns of Otmoor".  Apparently Edward the Confessor was born in Islip, not one of the 'seven towns', around 1003...   :)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #18540 on: 29 March, 2015, 01:34:24 pm »
Thanks, Andy.  I have a re-issue, which doesn't contain the map from your link.  It's a Buchan map, so I'll print it out and keep it with the book.  Buchan writes so well about the countryside (wherever) and that's a huge reason for my love of his writing.

Peter

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #18541 on: 29 March, 2015, 04:33:36 pm »
If what we had today was a sample of what Steve had yesterday then good luck Steve.  Bloody hell.

Our club hosted the annual concentration of all the clubs based in the Vosges du Nord park - around a dozen I think. Pissing down, wind ~25 kph with 50 kph gusts. Only 15 volunteered for the 50: our prez says at the last minute "I'll look after the 25k, you take the 50". Gee thanks prez.

Anyway, it was fun: blown all over the shop, hammered with rain. Hefty proportion of Audaxers, good craic.  Around 700m climbing including a couple of 12%ers that weren't on the 25k run.  ~2h20 riding followed by 3h30 at table, whereof around 30 min spent eating and the rest waiting and yakking.

Car stinks of wet, sweaty kit. Bike's pigging.

Nuther cuppa needed now.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #18542 on: 29 March, 2015, 04:56:03 pm »
Thanks, Andy.  I have a re-issue, which doesn't contain the map from your link.  It's a Buchan map, so I'll print it out and keep it with the book.  Buchan writes so well about the countryside (wherever) and that's a huge reason for my love of his writing.

Peter
Goodness. Haven't read any Buchan since I was about 11. Might have to do so again.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #18543 on: 30 March, 2015, 12:06:56 am »
A couple of wee recovery rides today, after yesterday's group perm, which was the main event of the weekend.

Newcastle-Newcastleton-Newcastle was an enticing prospect anyway, but I fancied riding up, since the forecast was for a stonking southerly in the morning (plus rain, but that seemed to be the order of the day however many forecasts you looked at).

I hedged my bets and booked a day return to Newcastle, but 4 o'clock 4.15 4.30 saw me rise from my bed, munch some porridge and hit the road. The rain wasn't that bad, the tailwind was fabulous.

I met Aidan and Dave (NOTP) at Newcastle Station, where we colonised Gregg's for breakfast. We weren't the most-peculiarly-dressed people there. The vague idea for us all to ride fixed had been somewhat short-circuited by Aidan fetching his trike, and I had to keep reminding myself that he had an extra wheel when riding beside him - to be honest, I never rid myself of that nervousness all day, so rarely rode beside him.

The wind remained mostly favourable up to Bellingham, but the drag across to Falstone and past Kielder Reservoir was hard going, becoming bloody murder after the turn SW towards Saughtree, Riccarton and Steele Road (Steele Road is named after the Kielder Railway, of which we passed the remnants - apparently it and Riccarton were only accessible via dirt tracks before the railways were built), as this was the highest point of the route, and the point where the rain was at its thickest and heaviest. We'd already had a good soaking through Wark, and I was just starting to feel, hardly dry, but approaching the point of being not completely wet. Typical.

I dropped off the back about 8 miles before Newcastleton, to take 5 and have a piss and a fag and some flapjack, but a bit of time off the bike was the main thing. Dave commented that the stretch was probably good survival training.

The cafe in Newcastleton was a welcome treat, not just for watching the sun appear and the wind swing around to a homeward-bound WSW, but for the massive feast of food which was laid before us. We did wonder whether we'd manage it all, but we did, and that was probably the greatest achivement of the day. Aidan had a haggis panini with chips and extra chips - we were definitely in Scotland.

What a difference on the way back - the clouds had cleared from the fells, the sun was out, and it was a different landscape entirely. The wind was still causing some fairly alarming creaks amongst the trees in the forest, but with the tailwind, we barely stopped on the way back, except in Kielder for the lads to get an extra receipt, and in Wark for another receipt and to text ahead that we were on our way to the pub. Nowt seemed to be open in Wark, so I took my only photos of the day for their proof of passage.

(yes, the wind did knock over my bike inbetween the two photos)

Actually, the sharp descent into Wark may have been my favourite moment of the day - Aidan was leaning waay out to make the corner on the chevronned descent on his trike, while Dave and I were spinning away like loons behind him. I commented that we must have looked like a circus troupe, and there was a driver in a VW who clearly did not know what to make of it, and stayed behind us for what felt like ages.

We made it back to the Keelman's in Newburn for a quick pint, and Dave and I rode back to Central Station for a not-terribly-late train. I had a really daft clipless moment on Scotswood Road, which can only have added to the circus troupe atmosphere. Dave's comment was "well-controlled".

A good day out. I was tempted to ride back, but my frugal side wanted to use the train ticket I'd paid for, and the A167 is hardly the most inspiring route, so it was an easy decision. 270 km on the clock.

https://www.strava.com/activities/275570007

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #18544 on: 30 March, 2015, 10:29:16 am »
Went out yesterday afternoon. I made a minor adjustment to my front brake and thought I'd go to my "Friday afternoon" bridge for a test-drive. That wind was a bit unnecessary! Twice gusts reduced my forward velocity to <5mph. I did the 2.5 miles to the bridge in 13 mins 27 secs. The 2.5 miles home again took 5 mins 11 secs! And that was on my big, heavy, undergeared hybrid-commuter thing. Dog knows what speed I'd have attained on the road bike.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

simonp

« Reply #18545 on: 31 March, 2015, 08:11:53 pm »
Went out for an evening ride. Fastest ascent of Cheddar Gorge since July 2013.

My Edelux is properly dead. I was very lucky on the Dean as both my front lights have died.

« Reply #18546 on: 01 April, 2015, 09:54:15 am »
this weekend was wet and windy, and yet i still spent most of it on my bike...
saturday was a 40miler, flattish, and seemingly straight into the headwind for most of it! 5 of us went out, one who hadn't been on her bike since september! She'd made a conscious decision to not ride October-December for personal reasons, and then broke her collarbone at Christmas... anyway, steady ride out and we all got round comfortably.

Sunday however... was the first group training ride for the Bruno200 that we've been able to get to. MrH and I were up at Ampleforth College for 9am (bearing in mind it's a good 40mins drive and the clocks had changed!!) and set off in two groups of 20, the 2nd one slightly slower than the first. The route would have been spectacular in good weather, as it was it was cold, wet, windy and a little bit miserable...

We went from Ampleforth, back to Kilburn, and up White Horse Bank (just don't do it!), along to Sutton Bank Visitor Centre where we gathered the troops and had a brief mars bar break. Then onwards to Boltby Bank Top, and turned right down into Hawnby (cracking descent, hit 40mph!), then up over the moor road to Osmotherley. Lunch break in Osmotherley before heading along the main road to Northallerton, round the back of the town, through Romanby before picking up Sandy Banks Lane to Borrowby (another good bit of road, I caught up the 'faster' group here, maintaining 25mph for the 3 or 4 miles).

We then ducked under the A19 and headed up through Cowesby, Kirby Knowle and then Felixkirk. Another food break here to gather the troops as we'd all got quite strung out on the last section. I got quite cold here while we were waiting about, and ended up sitting in the support van on a plastic bag so I didn't get the seats wet. I could have quite happily stopped in the fabulous pub here, but MrH was determined that I finished the ride first. :/

Once we got going again I warmed up and the sugar rush from the reluctantly consumed mars bar and banana started to kick in. The last bit of the route in some ways felt the worst, and in some ways the best. I knew how far we had let to go, but I also knew how steep and relentless the hills were. From Felixkirk we went along to Sutton Under Whitestonecliffe, then across to Osgoodby Bank, back to Kilburn. Then turned right handed and up and over to Coxswold. As we flew down the descent in Coxswold village, the organisers of the Bruno Challenge, and Bruno Bursary were out cheering us on (sidelined with injury). I managed to keep the momentum up so that I didn't have to pedal up the other side, and could coast down to Newburgh Priory and get my breath back before the slog up to the Oultson/Yearlsey junction. The route then took us up Yearlsey Bank, down in to Gilling East and then a final climb up through the college grounds back to the college sports centre where we'd started.

We were met by the support vehicles (who had not gone through the grounds so they could get back before us), and hot tea, biscuits and the last few remaining bananas! Oh how I wished I'd taken wash kit as well as dry clothes.... but we'd done 64 miles in about 5h45m, with 4500ft ascent on the route.

Now I just need to more than double the distance I've done this weekend, and multiply the ascent by 5.... and I've got 8 weeks?!

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #18547 on: 01 April, 2015, 10:16:39 am »
I know these roads Jen, none of them are flat, congratulations on an epic training ride! It's lovely round there isn't it  :)
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #18548 on: 01 April, 2015, 10:30:20 am »
I've just planned a route from Northallerton for my brother which takes in many of those places.  It looks great.  Your sportive looks great, too.  You'll be fine as it's split over 2 days, with support.  Buttertubs and Grinton Moor are tough but you should be fine (many will be walking!).  On day one, I think the toughest bit will be Strines road.  The "three descents" mentioned each end in hairpins with STEEP climbs out.  The TdeF did it from the north but only did one hairpin (too dangerous for the caravan).  It looks like a lovely ride.

« Reply #18549 on: 01 April, 2015, 03:36:27 pm »
30 mile loop in the sunshine with  a few friends. Hugely enjoyable but the wind on the homeward leg was a bit interesting. The local boat club recorded an 88 mph gust yesterday and its offspring were playing with us today.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain