Author Topic: Sachin Tendulkar  (Read 1577 times)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Sachin Tendulkar
« on: 10 October, 2013, 10:49:48 pm »
Big, big respect.  But why do the Beeb keep referring to him as "The Little Master"?

Surely The Little Master was Sunil Gavaskar?
Or is I just old?  (And a Warwickshire Supporter)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Sachin Tendulkar
« Reply #1 on: 10 October, 2013, 11:03:02 pm »
Gavaskar was indeed the "Little Master". I'll never forget that fantastic double century he scored at the Oval which almost won a match when Brearly declared leaving India almost 500* to win. From memory, at the start of the last over all 4 results were still possible.

Amazingly, I've just found it! http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/14215236 That includes some rare footage of Gooch bowling. I love Phil Edmonds' pith helmet.

I can't say I have ever seen a lot of Tendulkar's batting as I sort of lost interest in cricket after the County Championship became two divisions and test players hardly ever played for their counties. and you couldn't watch cricket on the telly without paying Murdoch for the privilege. I really like the quote from ST though: "My boyhood dream was to play cricket for India. I have been living that dream for the last 24 years."

* actually, 438
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2 on: 11 October, 2013, 06:18:14 am »
Big, big respect.  But why do the Beeb keep referring to him as "The Little Master"?

Surely The Little Master was Sunil Gavaskar?
Or is I just old?  (And a Warwickshire Supporter)

Your just getting old. The Indians call Tendulkar "the little master" or "master blaster".
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #3 on: 11 October, 2013, 04:30:56 pm »
It will be strange when he's retired. I was a child when he first played test cricket (as was he!) and he's played so long it almost seems like he's always played.

A great player. Of course, with this news there's loads of nonsense being spouted in the bottom half of the internet, but his record speaks for itself. Over 15000 runs at over 50 and over 50 hundreds. He's even played on long enough to go shit, but still hasn't. He is quite simply a legend. And of course in India, a God...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4 on: 11 October, 2013, 08:01:27 pm »
Here's a (vaguely) interesting statoid to start an argument about statoids:

1st Class
Average ... .... Matches  Total Runs
57.86    Sachin Tendulkar (Bombay/Mumbai and India)    307    25,228    from 1988–89 to 2012–13
56.83    Geoff Boycott (Yorkshire and England)            609    48,426    from 1962 to 1986
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #5 on: 14 October, 2013, 09:51:14 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/zhjuqdqWBK4&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/zhjuqdqWBK4&rel=1</a> is what first caught my attention.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.