Author Topic: Winter boots?  (Read 14786 times)

Winter boots?
« on: 27 October, 2013, 08:28:49 pm »
I'm about to buy some for commuting over the winter, what do you think is the best set. I'm not really wanting to spend loads but none are very cheap! I'd want spdsl fittings, waterproof, warm and wide fitting.

Northwave Fahrenheit look most likely, is there anything else to consider?
Cheers

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
Re: Winter boots?
« Reply #1 on: 27 October, 2013, 09:01:21 pm »
Probably not at that price.  I know the sidis cost more.

Lake may do some thing but I am not sure, Cycle Surgery stock them.  Also take a look at Rose just in case they have something.

Found these
http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Shimano-RW80-Goretex-Waterproof-SPD-SL-Shoes_20540.htm?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=AdwordsProductAds&utm_campaign=Adwords&gclid=CMmK8tr0t7oCFU_HtAod73MAqQ  - but out of stock

Here you go on sale as well

http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/clothing-c7/shoes-c52/shimano-rw80-spd-sl-winter-road-boots-p188131

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 27 October, 2013, 09:21:02 pm »
Evans had a good range last year: Northwave, Sidi, Specialized and something with a French name, but they've nothing in yet.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3 on: 28 October, 2013, 09:24:58 am »
First question: Excuse my ignorance, but are SPD-SL 2 or 3 bolt?

If 3 bolt, the next question applies, if not, move along now :) :

What shoe size are you?

The reason I ask is that I, accidentally, bought a pair of Northwave winter boots a couple of years ago.  When I got them, I put them away for when I needed them.  The day came when I needed them and I discoverd they are 3 bolt shoes, so SPDs don't fit!  By that time it was too late to return them!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

IanN

• Voon
« Reply #4 on: 28 October, 2013, 09:36:55 am »
Evans (Bristol) told me they would not be stocking winter boots but I could order to store, and get a refund there if they didn't fit. Not a fat lot of use as I have no idea of the width of the Northwave boots. The nice gentleman could have been talking rubbish of course.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5 on: 28 October, 2013, 10:59:10 am »
Evans (Bristol) told me they would not be stocking winter boots but I could order to store, and get a refund there if they didn't fit. Not a fat lot of use as I have no idea of the width of the Northwave boots. The nice gentleman could have been talking rubbish of course.
They stocked several different brands last year, so that seems odd. But perhaps they didn't sell well? It's pretty useless if he was right though.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #6 on: 28 October, 2013, 11:13:29 am »
First question: Excuse my ignorance, but are SPD-SL 2 or 3 bolt?

If 3 bolt, the next question applies, if not, move along now :) :

What shoe size are you?

The reason I ask is that I, accidentally, bought a pair of Northwave winter boots a couple of years ago.  When I got them, I put them away for when I needed them.  The day came when I needed them and I discoverd they are 3 bolt shoes, so SPDs don't fit!  By that time it was too late to return them!

SPD-SL are 3-bolt fixing.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

tiermat

« Reply #7 on: 28 October, 2013, 11:15:24 am »
Chances are they are 44 (they are in North Yorkshire, in the garage, and I am in Cambs ATM)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #8 on: 28 October, 2013, 11:18:34 am »

I have quite wide feet and found then comfortable. I think mine were one size up from what I usually take, YMMV.

« Reply #9 on: 28 October, 2013, 11:20:44 am »
Chances are they are 44 (they are in North Yorkshire, in the garage, and I am in Cambs ATM)

Then they'd be perfect for me if the OP isn't the correct size!  (but I deleted my question in case it seemes I was trying to cut in on vs4b's thread!)

« Reply #10 on: 28 October, 2013, 11:22:08 am »
I found Northwave quite generous size-wise - I think they're fairly wide.

« Reply #11 on: 28 October, 2013, 11:26:10 am »
Roseversand own brand at www.rosebikes.de?
Reine de la Fauche

tiermat

« Reply #12 on: 28 October, 2013, 11:41:03 am »

Then they'd be perfect for me if the OP isn't the correct size!  (but I deleted my question in case it seemes I was trying to cut in on vs4b's thread!)

I shall wait and see if they are of interest to the OP, if not then I'll give you a shout.

« Reply #13 on: 28 October, 2013, 12:02:01 pm »
Ta  :thumbsup:

« Reply #14 on: 28 October, 2013, 02:25:20 pm »
I think 44 would be too small for me. Thanks anyway.

« Reply #15 on: 28 October, 2013, 02:44:07 pm »
warm and wide fitting.

Northwave Fahrenheit look most likely, is there anything else to consider?
Cheers

The Sidis are the best but as you've probably worked out they are quite narrow. Sadly they don't do their Mega fitting in the boots as that would solve the issue. I sold my Sidis and got the Arctic version of the Northwaves. They are very warm and the boot fits well with what I'd consider a normal width / depth. One thing to note, though, is that the location of the slots for the cleats is quite far forward compared to e.g. Spesh so if you like your cleats to sit well back on the shoe, this might be worth watching out for.

Evans: waste of time as they never have anything but random sizes in their boots so despite them advertising lots of brands, you won't be able to go and try on a few. A much better bet is to buy about 3 pairs from Wiggle, try them on in the house, and use their free returns service to send the unwanted ones back.

The Shimano ones are sized very small lengthwise. Sidis are normal sizing lengthwise but narrow and shallow. Northwave - normal-ish.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #16 on: 28 October, 2013, 06:11:17 pm »
I'm happy with my Shimano winter boots (I have both road and MTB versions).  The road ones are not expensive when you consider that they will last a very long time.  You just won't walk enough in them to wear them out, and cycling doesn't wear them out.  Probably the first thing to go will be the velcro.  I'm hoping a good cobbler could replace the straps.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #17 on: 28 October, 2013, 09:40:26 pm »
I've got the MTB version of the Northwaves too, and am very happy with them (especially as I got them almost half price).

Size: I've got reasonably broad feet (it was always a G fitting when I had them measured as a kid), normally take a 43 in shoes, and am happy in a Northwave 43 (also for Shimano and Pearl Izumi, though my Bontrager shoes are 44).

Picking up on SP's point re cleat fitting, the slots are about half a cm further forward than on my Pearl Izumi shoes and Exustar sandals, and about the same position as my Bonty shoes.

« Reply #18 on: 29 October, 2013, 07:21:37 pm »
I also like my Shimano MW81 boots but they give me a fight when putting them on due to internal elastic strap. Get at least 1 size larger than usual. Toasty once feet installed (especially with Baa Baa merino socks). £110 for the boots at CRC atm.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #19 on: 29 October, 2013, 10:00:23 pm »
I chose to save a little money and buy a pair of mt500 endura overshoes. I live in Scotland and my commute takes me round the Forth. Its sea level so never really very negative temperatures. It is wet a lot of the early winter and I find the overboots plenty warm and dry enough.
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

« Reply #20 on: 29 October, 2013, 10:16:14 pm »
I've got a pair of those overshoes; they're very good.
I sometimes wear them over my Northwave Winter boots (Celsius Artic).
My feet get used to get very cold.

« Reply #21 on: 29 October, 2013, 11:41:20 pm »
Have now ordered some northwave fahrenheits, seems impossible to avoid mail order, so we'll see how they fit!
Thanks for the advice.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22 on: 29 October, 2013, 11:44:32 pm »
mt500 endura overshoes

Those look like they might have a substantially better half-life than standard overshoes.  *makes mental note for the future*

« Reply #23 on: 30 October, 2013, 08:38:38 am »
mt500 endura overshoes

Those look like they might have a substantially better half-life than standard overshoes.  *makes mental note for the future*

Mine lasted two winters before the zip on one of them broke.
I'm now using the Endura Deluge ( http://www.endurasport.com/Product.aspx?dept_id=107&prod_id=484 ) which are so stretchy that they don't need a zip.
Despite that, they're not too difficult to put on.
They're just into the start of their 2nd winter and they look as good as new except for the hole in the toe. The hole developed shortly after an on-the-go mudguard adjustment and immediately after a brief flight.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24 on: 30 October, 2013, 02:57:46 pm »
Well that's a fair bit better than the two rides that standard overshoes last for...