Author Topic: iTunes? I friggin !!LOVE!! ubuntu  (Read 925 times)

iTunes? I friggin !!LOVE!! ubuntu
« on: 17 April, 2009, 01:50:39 am »
Regular readers may know of the many issues I've had with iTunes and how it keeps ripping Mrs Nutty's music off her iPlod until I re-authorise every track she's purchased.

Mrs Nutty has recently purchased a song I like, so I thought I'd try and convert it from iPrunes format to a proper MP3 so I could listen to it.  The conversion worked fine in ubuntu :thumbsup:    Then I looked at the source and realised that ubuntu could play the iPlonker track without conversion!

I've just copied her entire library to my hard drive* and am sitting here listening to the tracks on the headphones** (wouldn't want to wake her up) and am also pleased to see that the usual sound crappyness that hurts my ears on her iPod isn't occuring here - even though I haven't touched the source data.  It must be iTunes and iPods that are shite, not the music tracks.

* no, it's not piracy, we've PAID for all the tracks so therefore I'm entitled to listen to them.
** these headphones, ear buds actually, are so shite every time I move I get a crackle from the loose wires - but they're still better than her apple iPooped ones.  <walks downstairs, gets white things from drawer, goes upstairs, listens to music, aaaaaaaarrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhhh, throws apple earphones out of window>

Re: iTunes? I friggin !!LOVE!! ubuntu
« Reply #1 on: 17 April, 2009, 01:55:21 am »
Fookin hull!!!!!!!!!

I've even got the album artwork showing for this track.     :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*   I love you ubuntu  :-* :-* :-*

« Reply #2 on: 17 April, 2009, 02:18:34 am »
I seem to be re-discovering an enjoyment of music.

« Reply #3 on: 17 April, 2009, 08:45:28 am »
Yes, I found the same thing.  The best thing is that you can add songs to your iPod from Rhythmbox when your iPod is synched to a different machine (the one with your iTunes library on).

Very useful for just adding 1 or 2 songs without deleting all the rest.

« Reply #4 on: 17 April, 2009, 11:36:22 am »
Ubuntu is just software1.

Software just converts the compressed digital mp3 file to a digital audio signal. Any bit of software or hardware can do this, and should always produce the same digital output.

Sound quality is most greatly affected by the hardware that converts this digital signal to an analogue signal. That'll be the sound card (specifically the DAC) in the computer you're using. The next bit is converting the analogue electrical signal to sound; i.e. the headphones you're listening on.

1. And I really doubt the sound card driver within Ubuntu has much of an effect on quality.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #5 on: 17 April, 2009, 11:52:53 am »
Ubuntu is just software1.

Software just converts the compressed digital mp3 file to a digital audio signal. Any bit of software or hardware can do this, and should always produce the same digital output.

Sound quality is most greatly affected by the hardware that converts this digital signal to audio. That'll be the sound card (specifically the DAC) in the computer you're using. The next bit is converting the analogue electrical signal to sound; i.e. the headphones you're listening on.

1. And I really doubt the sound card driver within Ubuntu has much of an effect on quality.

I reckon the improvement in sound quality is due to the lack of grinding teeth. ;D
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/