Author Topic: Crossing the Trent in Nottingham  (Read 3306 times)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
Crossing the Trent in Nottingham
« on: 23 December, 2009, 11:00:04 am »
My new commute is going to require me to cross the River Trent from north to south. The shorter option would use the Clifton Bridge (the A52), but I know that road is very busy and not really a place to cycle (even if it's legal). Am I correct in thinking there's no pavement or cyclelane to use on that bridge? The other option is one of the bridges near the train station, but that's further and also involves getting through Nottingham city centre.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Re: Crossing the Trent in Nottingham
« Reply #1 on: 23 December, 2009, 12:54:17 pm »
I understand your reluctance to cycle over Clifton Bridge - I am not that happy driving over it !

However  -  there is a shared use cycle lane/footpath on the west side of the Bridge with reasonable access onto/off it.  It is not that obvious on maps but you can see it on the Google satellite view or streetview.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 23 December, 2009, 03:46:27 pm »
There is also the Wilford cycle/pedestrian bridge, at the end of the amusingly named "Main Road" to the north-east, which I used last time I was in the area.  This isn't shown on google maps, but is visible on the satellite view and Openstreetmap (which is generally good for decoding cycle paths).

« Reply #3 on: 23 December, 2009, 10:50:35 pm »
Jonbuoy is right. There is a cycle path that runs over next to the A52. This is further complimented by the fact that it runs all the way along to the roundabout next to the QMC. Depending where you are going you can follow cycle paths to the University or along the canal all the way to the train station. Its quite useful.

The Wilford foot bridge has been closed for a year as some dear old health and saftety person decided that it was unsafe and the council have made mending it a low priority as it does not carry cars!

« Reply #4 on: 24 December, 2009, 04:01:31 pm »
The Wilford foot bridge has been closed for a year as some dear old health and saftety person decided that it was unsafe and the council have made mending it a low priority as it does not carry cars!

The suspension bridge next to the War Memorial is closed but the toll bridge from Wilford is still open I think.

Welcome to Nottingham adamski, where are you commuting to and from? As Russ says their are a few nice cycle routes in that area.

spen666

« Reply #5 on: 24 December, 2009, 04:04:58 pm »
you could use the Brian Clough method and walk on the Trent to get to the otherside

Zoidburg

« Reply #6 on: 24 December, 2009, 04:10:28 pm »
I used to cross going the other way over the suspension bridge then into West Bridgford. Yes you can cycle over it when it is open.

Just excercise caution at night along the riverside as you are on the edge of the Meadows estate.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #7 on: 24 December, 2009, 04:43:24 pm »
Cheers for info. It's useful to know there's a cycle lane from the QMC along the bypass and beside the Clifton bridge. And I didn't know about the existence of either of the footbridges that cross The Trent.

Welcome to Nottingham adamski, where are you commuting to and from? As Russ says their are a few nice cycle routes in that area.

Initially I'll be going from the Wollaton or Basford1 to Keyworth. From Basford it may actually be easier to head down Nottingham Road (B682), through the city centre and out via West Bridgeford.

I'm looking forward to exploring some of the area around Nottingham, which I started earlier in the year when I did the Pie Run #V.

« Reply #8 on: 24 December, 2009, 07:20:37 pm »
Initially I'll be going from the Wollaton or Basford1 to Keyworth. From Basford it may actually be easier to head down Nottingham Road (B682), through the city centre and out via West Bridgeford.

You could follow the A52 ring-road from Basford to Clifton Bridge, it has a cycle path all the way. From the bridge you go to Wilford, Ruddington, Bradmore on A60, Keyworth.

Zoidburg

« Reply #9 on: 24 December, 2009, 07:30:36 pm »
Or you can head up through Edwalton/Stanton on the wolds and back in the other side of keyworth, good ride.

« Reply #10 on: 30 December, 2009, 12:06:59 pm »
I often use the Clifton and Wilford crossings and the River/Canal side paths in the locality (especially to the Beeston Marina Cafe - cheap and welcoming and recommended!).

Welcome to Nottingham!
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

Hilldodger

« Reply #11 on: 30 December, 2009, 12:35:34 pm »
I could sell you this  :thumbsup:

« Reply #13 on: 13 February, 2010, 04:09:08 pm »
I shall make a point of using it tomorrow!!
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #14 on: 16 February, 2010, 11:40:51 pm »
The Wilford Bridge normally isn't very useful for me, but as I was heading towards the university this evening, I decided to try out the new reopened bridge. There were loads of other cyclists using the bridge, so clearly opening it has helped a far number of people. Main Road in Wilford is a dead end, so heading down to the bridge was a pleasant cycle - far better, even if longer, than the cyclepath alongside the A52. Once over the bridge, I then proceeded to get lost in the maze of the Meadows Estate ::-).
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

« Reply #15 on: 17 February, 2010, 10:39:47 am »
Adamski
This is a short well used route from Wilford Bridge to the University.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Wilford-Bridge-Highfields-University

If you have crossed the 'suspension' bridge you follow the Trent upstream to Wilford bridge.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #16 on: 17 February, 2010, 12:09:47 pm »
Cheers, that's really useful.