Author Topic: Sunday 29 April: αdαmsκι's 60 km of hell around Biggin Hill  (Read 3211 times)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
Who's up for a little ride (35 miles / 60 km) around Biggin Hell Hill on the North Downs on Sunday 29th April? My plan would be to start at 10h15 from West Wickham station. Trains to West Wickham run from Charing Cross (09h35 gets you there for 10h15), via London Bridge (09h43) & Lewisham (09h54).

This  will be a little bit lumpy bloomin' hilly :demon:. Kinda like the Cheam & Morden Hilly 50, but in a different area. The route I've got pencilled in has five hills with chevrons pointing the wrong way (although "wrong way" does depend on ones point of view). This is Draft #1 of the route, but I need to check parts of it, so it may change. There are shortcuts that would avoid some of the hills if people felt that way inclined. Refreshments stop at Christmas Tree Farm after 50 km, which is at the top of the last major hill.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Sunday 29 April: αdαmsκι's 60 km of hell around Biggin Hill
« Reply #1 on: 01 April, 2012, 06:32:19 pm »
I think I'm washing my hair that day ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #2 on: 01 April, 2012, 06:57:11 pm »
Adamski clearly has masochistic tendencies....
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #3 on: 01 April, 2012, 07:49:25 pm »
Adamski clearly has masochistic tendencies....

It's worse than that. He'll most likely be doing it on fixed  :o

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #4 on: 01 April, 2012, 08:19:27 pm »
3300ft of climbing in 65 miles? Masochistic indeed!!

« Reply #5 on: 02 April, 2012, 10:17:48 am »
Hmm, you've got some good climbs there and its popularity with south London cyclists is well justified.  I'd be tentatively interested - is this route clockwise or widdershins?

αdαmsκι

« Reply #6 on: 02 April, 2012, 10:27:23 am »
Hmm, you've got some good climbs there and its popularity with south London cyclists is well justified.
Indeed. Hopefully the 10h15 start will mean the roads won't be too busy with Dulwich Paragon riders.

is this route clockwise or widdershins?
Anti-clockwise. That way you get to go down, rather than up, Church Hill in Cudham.

3300ft of climbing in 65 miles?
Wrong! 3,300 ft in 37 miles. Or, rather, 1,000 m in 60 km, which is basically the same as the Cheam & Modern Hilly 50. Although that is assuming bikehike is estimating the amount of climbing correctly.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #7 on: 02 April, 2012, 10:37:25 am »
That is a big assumption.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #8 on: 02 April, 2012, 10:38:15 am »

3300ft of climbing in 65 miles?
Wrong! 3,300 ft in 37 miles. Or, rather, 1,000 m in 60 km, which is basically the same as the Cheam & Modern Hilly 50. Although that is assuming bikehike is estimating the amount of climbing correctly.

I take it back. Really masochistic...

« Reply #9 on: 02 April, 2012, 10:42:33 am »
is this route clockwise or widdershins?
Anti-clockwise. That way you get to go down, rather than up, Church Hill in Cudham.

Ooh, not sure I like the idea of going down that hill.  Mind you, the last time I rode up it, I nearly threw up at the top (it was a Paragon early Sunday ride which was really too fast and furious for me).

αdαmsκι

« Reply #10 on: 02 April, 2012, 10:47:48 am »
Ooh, not sure I like the idea of going down that hill.  Mind you, the last time I rode up it, I nearly threw up at the top (it was a Paragon early Sunday ride which was really too fast and furious for me).

It's actually brilliant now it's got a new, silky smooth, surface, and the plan is to miss the very top of the descent by approaching from Berry's Hill.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #11 on: 02 April, 2012, 11:03:08 am »
I would just like to point out that, according to an article published today by The Guardian, this ride is one of the best rides in the UK.  So roll-up for a guided tour of pretty villages, a few hills & stunning views across the North Downs and the Thames Valley.

Corkscrew Lane, south London
A secret corridor leads from south London into winding, empty country lanes and villages. Dropping from Crystal Palace to Elmers End and through West Wickham you arrive at Corkscrew Lane [sic], and suddenly it's all woods, valleys and rolling fields. The lane takes you to the top of the North Downs and on a good day you can see 30 miles. You might touch 40 mph on the exhilarating drop to Westerham. Then it's the big cogs to climb the elegantly named Hogtrough Hill (15%), heading north through Cudham and the pretty Downe to Keston. Cutting left down the steep hill by the Norman church takes you past fields and stables until suddenly you arrive back at West Wickham. The last push up Anerley Hill is helped by the thought of a double espresso at Café Paradou on Crystal Palace Parade.
Charlotte260898

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #12 on: 02 April, 2012, 11:37:22 am »

It's actually brilliant now it's got a new, silky smooth, surface, and the plan is to miss the very top of the descent by approaching from Berry's Hill.

As a scaredy cat descender, I can confirm that going down Church Hill, either right from the top, or from the Berry Hill approach is not that bad, and in fact rather nice now that it is resurfaced. Then again, after going up Berry Hill, you'll be so pleased not to be ascending any further that none of this will matter.

I'm coming on the ride (and know some of the shortcuts :smug:)

αdαmsκι

« Reply #13 on: 26 April, 2012, 08:20:20 pm »
I've decided to cancel this because of a number of factors, including a long, stressful, week at work; the rubbish weather (lanes with be skoggy); and the perceived lack of takers.

« Reply #14 on: 28 April, 2012, 08:12:40 pm »
I wouldnt feel to bad about that If I were you, there was supposed to be bungee jumping and riding of two wheeled self balancing wheeled apparatus today at Grafham water. The weather was so miserable they packed  not long after 11am.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain