Author Topic: Shared Google calendar  (Read 1300 times)

Shared Google calendar
« on: 06 October, 2009, 09:55:16 pm »
Is it possible to create a Google calendar visible to people who do not have Google accounts?

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: Shared Google calendar
« Reply #1 on: 06 October, 2009, 10:01:27 pm »
Yes, I think you just have to make it public, it's all in the settings bit.

edit: Yes, in settings you can either 'make public' or 'share with specific people'
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #2 on: 06 October, 2009, 10:03:31 pm »
But do those specific people need to have Google accounts?

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #3 on: 06 October, 2009, 10:08:00 pm »
no

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5 on: 06 October, 2009, 10:09:56 pm »
You can also share a Google calendar with people who don't have a Google account by embedding it in a web page.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #6 on: 06 October, 2009, 10:11:36 pm »
Hmm.

But they must have to have Google accounts or it would not be possible to restrict access to specified people... so it would seem that the only way to do it is to make it public?

Pingu thanks - that's what I had done, sent a link in the way described. The recipient is being asked to sign in (to a Google account).

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #7 on: 06 October, 2009, 10:17:14 pm »
The recipient is being asked to sign in (to a Google account).

Hmm. That really shouldn't happen if you have the calendar set to public. Sure you've given them the right link?

Go to the settings page for the calendar, click on the little greenblue HTML button and it should open a dialogue with the public URL. Copy and paste that.

eg:
Canterbury Cycle Club

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #8 on: 06 October, 2009, 10:32:21 pm »

« Reply #9 on: 16 April, 2011, 10:47:50 pm »
Coming back to this, I'm still unclear.

When I want to share a calendar, am I right in thinking that I can enter any kind of email address into the list of people to share with, or do they have to be Google email addresses?

Now obviously these people need Google accounts to be able to see the calendar, even though the addresses I've added for sharing purposes may be work email addressed, so... let's say I send the people in the list a link. They then click the link and... then what? They then have to (I presume) log in to their Google account. But how does Google know that the people logging in are the people with non-Google email addresses as above?

IYSWIM

I tested this yesterday with someone, and the person (non-Google email address) was able to view the calendar from the HTML link that I'd sent after logging in to their Google account. But for another colleague, the link did not work until I added them using their Gmail address.

I don't want to make the calendar public.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #10 on: 19 April, 2011, 01:42:41 am »
My main calender is run of sam at selfharmony email address and I have dozens of calenders. The confusion is that you can create a google account using your normal email address rather than a gmail one. I don't know if that answers your question or not?
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium