Author Topic: Long-Distance Energy  (Read 1144 times)

Long-Distance Energy
« on: 12 April, 2021, 04:41:20 pm »
I just phoned im my meter-reading to e-on.  Their system needs refining slightly: after I'd given the figures via the keypad on my fern, I was automatedly thanked but instead of that being the end of it, I was transferred to a customer service "operative".  Her refined South African accent didn't fool me and we swapped anecdotes (but not bank details).  What astonished me was that she was actually IN Cape Town answering the call.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Long-Distance Energy
« Reply #1 on: 12 April, 2021, 05:53:23 pm »
That's about as astonishing as the YACF server being in Spain.  It's all just packets, so you can have a call centre wherever is convenient.

« Reply #2 on: 12 April, 2021, 07:53:03 pm »
But what about our borders? I must say I am not sure that I like the idea of someone in Cape Town knowing much energy I have used. Have we forgotten about the Boers already?
Move Faster and Bake Things

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3 on: 12 April, 2021, 07:55:33 pm »
Forgotten about the beers? The pubs are open again!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #4 on: 12 April, 2021, 07:57:58 pm »
De Beers? You don’t drink Double Diamond? :sick:
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #5 on: 12 April, 2021, 08:22:42 pm »
That's about as astonishing as the YACF server being in Spain.  It's all just packets, so you can have a call centre wherever is convenient.

One of the shallots lives on a mountain in Colombia1. Her job is teaching Chinese school children2 for a company is in Seattle3 who pay dollars into an account in Madrid, which she draws out of an ATM in Armenia4. As Kim says, the voles can go anywhere nowadays.

1 The country, not the state
2 In China
3 ,WA
4 The city, not the country
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #6 on: 12 April, 2021, 08:38:49 pm »
People - I didn't say it was astonishing.  I said it astonished ME.  Not the same thing at all.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7 on: 12 April, 2021, 08:44:26 pm »

One of the shallots lives on a mountain in Colombia1. Her job is teaching Chinese school children2 for a company is in Seattle3 who pay dollars into an account in Madrid, which she draws out of an ATM in Armenia4. As Kim says, the voles can go anywhere nowadays.

1 The country, not the state
2 In China
3 ,WA
4 The city, not the country
Is she also in the United States of Colombia?1

1These ones.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #8 on: 13 April, 2021, 02:18:14 pm »
In further news:

I've just received a letter from my local council (Rochdale) about shielding.  It's from Motherwell........ .