Author Topic: The Official Tour Guide 2009  (Read 1971 times)

The Official Tour Guide 2009
« on: 16 June, 2009, 09:14:59 pm »
I've just bought the 'Official Tour Guide 2009', it's boxed with a humongous route map, and DVD, besides the other bits and bobs.
It cost £9.99.

Worth every last penny just to watch Sean Kelly reading from off the autocue on the Tour History DVD.  ;D
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

Re: The Official Tour Guide 2009
« Reply #1 on: 21 June, 2009, 09:31:17 pm »
Procycling this month contains a £1 off coupon. I've just picked up my TdF guide. I reckon I might just have finished reading it and watching the DVD by the time the race ends!  ;D

gonzo

« Reply #2 on: 21 June, 2009, 09:35:39 pm »
Do any of you lot follow the Giro? It's considered by a lot of people to be a far better race than the tour. This year will be further proof.

« Reply #3 on: 21 June, 2009, 09:42:51 pm »
I don't think that the Tour can be beaten. It's the sheer scale of the race, the more diverse teams taking part, and all of the teams having their big guns out to try and take the jersey that give it a boost. Whilst we can debate why that is and whether we think it's correct, it's the end result that means I'm glued throughout July.

I do like the Giro, but I do think it's the second placed grand tour.

« Reply #4 on: 21 June, 2009, 09:43:34 pm »
Someone described Sean kelly's commentary as like an unenthusiastic man describing the contents of his pockets.

« Reply #5 on: 21 June, 2009, 09:50:26 pm »
I'm an ITV4 (Liggett and Shewen) fan, personally.

I really don't like the Eurosport commentary, but if it's that or nothing, Kelly, Duffers and Harmon will do. Actually, Harmon is good, it's just the rest who have me reaching for the remote.

gonzo

« Reply #6 on: 22 June, 2009, 09:30:55 am »
I don't think that the Tour can be beaten. It's the sheer scale of the race, the more diverse teams taking part, and all of the teams having their big guns out to try and take the jersey that give it a boost. Whilst we can debate why that is and whether we think it's correct, it's the end result that means I'm glued throughout July.

Contador will win. Does that mean that you needn't bother watching it?

The TdF has been so much more predictable pretty much every year since I've followed cycling so it's just dull. The Menchov/Di Luca battles in the giro this year were truly spectacular!

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
« Reply #7 on: 22 June, 2009, 09:46:27 am »
The Giro was undoubtedly excellent, as it usually is.

However this year the Tour is shaping up to be fasinacting.  Contador ought to win, but the Astana team, easily the strongest on paper, may not be as united as they should be - who are they going to work for, Armstrong or Contador?  Or Leipheimer?! Will Lance really play the role of super-domestique?

Carlos Sastre won it last year.  His team is not up to the same standard this year, but he's still a formidable competitor.  This could be Andy Schleck's year, though his time trialling is a weakness.   And then there's perpetually second-placed Cadel Evans who is evidently in form.
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

« Reply #8 on: 22 June, 2009, 09:52:19 am »
I'd agree with Gonzo... I think the giro is a much more exciting race.  This years Tour looks like it will be a good one for all the reasons highlighted above, but also the Ventoux stage so close to the finish will surely cause some mayhem, and the two stages with no radios will be fun.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9 on: 22 June, 2009, 09:54:38 am »
I'm more with Thor on this.  There are a lot of strong riders out there, and it will largely be down to how well the teams perform in support.  Armstrong will find it difficult to play second fiddle, and may rip his team apart.  But it will be good to see riders like Evans and Schleck in with a chance.
Getting there...

« Reply #10 on: 22 June, 2009, 10:00:53 am »
 But it will be good to see riders like Evans in with a chance.

Evans has no chance for the reason you highlight in the first part of your post.

gonzo

« Reply #11 on: 22 June, 2009, 11:42:32 am »
I'd agree with Gonzo... I think the giro is a much more exciting race.  This years Tour looks like it will be a good one for all the reasons highlighted above, but also the Ventoux stage so close to the finish will surely cause some mayhem, and the two stages with no radios will be fun.

The bit in bold will probably be the highlight of the race for me!

« Reply #12 on: 22 June, 2009, 11:52:59 am »

Yeah, I'm looking forward to the "no radio" stages.  :thumbsup:
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

« Reply #13 on: 22 June, 2009, 06:12:56 pm »

Contador will win. Does that mean that you needn't bother watching it?

;D

How much have you bet at the bookies if he's such a dead cert and the slightly over weight female has just burst into song?  ;D