Author Topic: Coronavirus and Audax  (Read 89141 times)

Coronavirus and Audax
« on: 12 March, 2020, 12:43:29 pm »
Surprising that this is not yet mentioned here like on the AUK forum.  Was planning on riding some 200's and then a 300 in the summer, but I have been advised not to ride such lengthy events as the immune system is temporarily suppressed after vigorous exercise, where as moderate boosts it, so 10+ hours in the saddle are not a good idea.

I would be interested in how do others see this?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #1 on: 12 March, 2020, 12:46:29 pm »
Surprising that this is not yet mentioned here like on the AUK forum.

That's because we already have a massive thread about it in the relevant board:  https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=114653.0;topicseen

As a member of an at-risk group, it hasn't put me off cycling (which is generally beneficial to my lung health).  But avoiding public transport to organised events may become prudent.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2 on: 12 March, 2020, 01:01:35 pm »
Just ride.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/04/180420122807.htm

New research overturns a myth that has persisted for nearly four decades -- that competing in endurance sports, like this weekend's London Marathon, suppresses the body's immune system and makes competitors more susceptible to infections.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #3 on: 12 March, 2020, 01:08:22 pm »

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #4 on: 12 March, 2020, 01:21:08 pm »

That's because we already have a massive thread about it in the relevant board:  https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=114653.0;topicseen

As a member of an at-risk group, it hasn't put me off cycling (which is generally beneficial to my lung health).  But avoiding public transport to organised events may become prudent.
Post missing or off limits to me, apparently.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #5 on: 12 March, 2020, 01:22:56 pm »
Just ride.

New research overturns a myth that has persisted for nearly four decades -- that competing in endurance sports, like this weekend's London Marathon, suppresses the body's immune system and makes competitors more susceptible to infections.
Lack of sleep, poor diet and getting cold/wet may be factors in disease susceptability

So as long as your audax doesnt involves those factors then the exercise is beneficial.

simonp

« Reply #6 on: 12 March, 2020, 01:26:44 pm »
Just ride.

Lack of sleep, poor diet and getting cold/wet may be factors in disease susceptability

So as long as your audax doesnt involves those factors then the exercise is beneficial.

Though all of this misses the point that it's everyone's responsibility to slow down and minimise the peak. If workplaces are closed, schools are closed, etc, then I can't see how running popular Audax events visiting cafes, village halls etc is appropriate.

Re: Coronavirus and Audax
« Reply #7 on: 12 March, 2020, 01:35:05 pm »
Kidder killer gone so I think DIY’s are fine ...

« Reply #8 on: 12 March, 2020, 01:36:12 pm »

Post missing or off limits to me, apparently.

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=57226.0

Note sure this topic really needed to be put in there arguably, but there it is.

« Reply #9 on: 12 March, 2020, 01:41:08 pm »
I agree with Simon. If you work on the assumption that at least one person turning up will be a carrier, whether they know it yet or not, I find it hard to see how you can go ahead with any large social gathering. Unless your goal is to thin the herd of old duffers.

Ride yo bike on yo own.

(I'd say cancel any indoor hospitality, but that just moves the problem outside...)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #10 on: 12 March, 2020, 01:47:12 pm »
I thought that audax was already mostly populated by self-isolating folk, so what is the problem?

HK and I are looking at options but still entering events and planning to ride, subject to some precautionary measures. HK has lowered immune function, so this virus is a noticeable issue.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

rob

« Reply #11 on: 12 March, 2020, 02:12:20 pm »
Surely this is the world of the socially awkward anyway ?

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #12 on: 12 March, 2020, 02:19:02 pm »
Just ride.

Though all of this misses the point that it's everyone's responsibility to slow down and minimise the peak. If workplaces are closed, schools are closed, etc, then I can't see how running popular Audax events visiting cafes, village halls etc is appropriate.
No the original post asked specifically about increased risk due to post exercise immunity suppression.

Being on the same audax as someone is pretty low risk. The government are currently not asking people not to use shops and cafes, until they do I do night see any reason not to ride audax. When they do, I may consider riding DIY carrying my food.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #13 on: 12 March, 2020, 02:37:58 pm »
I agree with Simon. If you work on the assumption that at least one person turning up will be a carrier, whether they know it yet or not, I find it hard to see how you can go ahead with any large social gathering. Unless your goal is to thin the herd of old duffers.

Ride yo bike on yo own.

(I'd say cancel any indoor hospitality, but that just moves the problem outside...)
Why would you work on that assumption? Even with 1000 cases in the country (and we are still some way below that) then then is a 99.8% chance that 100 random people will all be uninfected.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #14 on: 12 March, 2020, 02:44:35 pm »
The bigger problem is more likely to be when travel restrictions are introduced.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

simonp

« Reply #15 on: 12 March, 2020, 02:56:31 pm »
We are some way beyond 1000 cases. The reported number is days behind new infection and is doubling every 3.5 days.

S2L

« Reply #16 on: 12 March, 2020, 03:06:10 pm »
We are some way beyond 1000 cases. The reported number is days behind new infection and is doubling every 3.5 days.

This.

Some will never be tested or diagnosed, so you can safely assume that the official stats are just an indication of how things are moving, the number is irrelevant. The very different level of mortality in different countries is suggestive that in some cases the number of positives is close to real (look at South Korea, with mortality < 1%) and in other cases grossly underestimates it (look at Italy and USA with mortality around 6%)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #17 on: 12 March, 2020, 03:07:49 pm »
Minimum Incubation period of 5 days to 14, then current capacity means its a couple of days from sample submission to result.

The stats are always going to lag but the trend shows each infected person accounts for 2 transmissions over the whole UK population base.

That also only covers cases severe enough or with the contact links to be tested.
A lot of mild cases will like the flu be down to people thinking they had it and never make official stats.
Unlike the flu, if routine appointments stop then the anonymous testing done on routine samples also stops so targeted testing becomes the only source of stats.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

« Reply #18 on: 12 March, 2020, 03:10:33 pm »
It’s also quite hard to get tested in this country. You need to fit some really strict criteria. Unless you’ve been abroad to the right place or know that the person who coughed on you on the train has since been confirmed, you pretty much can’t get tested.

Add in the usual bureaucracy, delays and hesitance if you do qualify....

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #19 on: 12 March, 2020, 03:11:56 pm »

Politics and other big issues is an opt in board as sometimes discussion can become heated. OP aks how it affects audax so I think this is the relevant board for the question - not POBI.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #20 on: 12 March, 2020, 03:12:06 pm »
It's been covered, with the specific advice from the Board, on the AUK Forum for the last 10 days. http://forum.audax.uk/index.php?topic=1821.0

The advice ends with:

"For the moment, we will be keeping a watching brief on government guidance and on any relevant recommendations made by Sport England or similar bodies.  We will pass on any specific information to members and organisers via this forum."

There will almost certainly be another Board conference call as more advice from government does emerge but, at this stage, it's hard to see what guidance AUK can offer except for organisers and members to give taking part the same consideration that they would when considering any activities that will bring them into close contact with others.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #21 on: 12 March, 2020, 03:14:09 pm »
Received the following e-mail re Dirty Reiver today -

Response to the Coronavirus
With coronavirus dominating the news at the moment, we’ve spent time considering options for the Dirty Reiver weekend and have consulted with partners and landowners. We are determined that the event should go ahead on April 17-19th and know that the majority of riders want that. We don’t underestimate the seriousness of the virus threat, but take the view that while the experts don’t think that a ban on events with large crowds is necessary, an outdoor event such as the Dirty Reiver is justified. Cancelling would have a financial impact on the small businesses and suppliers we work with, along with hundreds of riders who have invested time, effort and money on training and logistics. The demographic of the event does not include those at increased risk from the effects of Corvid19.

Measures planned to reduce transmission risk

Extending registration opening, from Midday to 11pm on Friday, to reduce crowding.
Communicate rider numbers in advance and separate registration by rider number.
Increase hand washing/sanitisation facilities and suggest riders bring hand sanitiser
Give a start window of 30 mins and separate starters, reducing crowding,
Have sealed foodstuffs served in portions at feeds - no shared servings etc.
Provide additional cleaning equipment etc for staff at feeds
Ensure there are additional bins and staff around the castle and reduce litter.
Have a wrapped/sealed finishers meal
Use the final rider briefing to suggest other measures that should be taken by individuals.
At all times we would advise riders to follow any NHS/Medical guidance given with respect to your own health and that of other riders, staff and local people.

It is fairly clear that the UK Government will move from phase 1 of their plan (Containment) to phase 2 (Delay) in the near future. It is far from clear what measures will then be adopted however.   With the situation likely to change several times before the event, we will wait and act upon guidance in place just prior to event weekend.

Entries, transfers and refunds

We have done as much as we can recently to accommodate transfers of entries, but the entry system is now locked down with numbers and other goods ordered and for timing, medics and catering to be set up. After 23rd March, we become liable for much greater costs and will be reviewing our actions carefully then.

If the event cannot go ahead in April, all entries will automatically be transferred to a new date later in the year. Riders will then have time to consider a number of options:

Attend the Dirty Reiver on the new postponed date (date TBC).
Transfer to another of our events - the Frontier300 (+£35) or The Distance (where places are available). www.frontier300.cc or www.thedistance.cc
Apply for a refund.
In the event of postponement, accommodation would need to be sorted out with the provider. Tepee bookings and overflow camping through Northern Star would be transferred or refunded. Kielder campsite are looking at availability for new dates and we are working out refunds with Steve at the campsite - please do not contact him about refunds.

Thank you for your support and understanding in what is a challenging period.

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #22 on: 12 March, 2020, 03:15:16 pm »
It's been covered, with the specific advice from the Board, on the AUK Forum for the last 10 days. http://forum.audax.uk/index.php?topic=1821.0

The advice ends with:

"For the moment, we will be keeping a watching brief on government guidance and on any relevant recommendations made by Sport England or similar bodies.  We will pass on any specific information to members and organisers via this forum."

There will almost certainly be another Board conference call as more advice from government does emerge but, at this stage, it's hard to see what guidance AUK can offer except for organisers and members to give taking part the same consideration that they would when considering any activities that will bring them into close contact with others.

Thanks  :thumbsup:

To be fair the AUK forum should be first call for Audax questions and information (but that's another topic) ;)

Davef

« Reply #23 on: 12 March, 2020, 04:01:27 pm »
Apparently if you sit on the back of a group and never take a turn then you are cycling in a stream of exhaled droplets. if you spend more time at the front you are safe.

Instead I have bought a mask.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #24 on: 12 March, 2020, 04:25:10 pm »
Apparently if you sit on the back of a group and never take a turn then you are cycling in a stream of exhaled droplets. if you spend more time at the front you are safe.

Instead I have bought a mask.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Masks are best worn by those with the virus to protect those without, they are very poor at protecting the wearer,  as the virus will stay on the damp mask which is positioned over your mouth and nose.