Author Topic: Road tubeless repair with anchovy / worm - has anyone ever done it successfully?  (Read 2342 times)

Just wondering.

I can well believe they are great for fat / mountain bike tyres at low pressure but the one time I needed to use one for a road tyre, it didn't work very well and would only seal at about 30psi.  It was a 25mm that I was wanting to run at 100psi. 

I've heard similar stories from others.

Has anyone had any successful experience of an anchovy holding more than, say, 60psi for a week or more?

If so, what did you use?

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Yes in 30C and 35C tyres G-one Speed and 36C IRC, Maxalami worms - they are very sticky. I just double it over and push it through with the braddle tool and then the end just flattens off as I ride.  The resultant repairs have been fine with the tyre maintaining the same pressures losses over time as before the repair. The rims with these on have always gone from say 60 to 40psi over a week or so by themselves.

I've not tried a worm in 28C yet, though the fixed is now fitted with 28C old Schwalbe 1 but I'd prefer not to have to fix them just yet ;)
Regards,

Joergen

Yes in 30C and 35C tyres G-one Speed and 36C IRC, Maxalami worms - they are very sticky. I just double it over and push it through with the braddle tool and then the end just flattens off as I ride.  The resultant repairs have been fine with the tyre maintaining the same pressures losses over time as before the repair. The rims with these on have always gone from say 60 to 40psi over a week or so by themselves.

I've not tried a worm in 28C yet, though the fixed is now fitted with 28C old Schwalbe 1 but I'd prefer not to have to fix them just yet ;)

Thanks Jason: sounds like a 'no' if it didn't hold 60psi for a week ;)

simonp

Hmm, 100psi is asking a lot.

I've used Dynaplugs on PBP, after getting a puncture from the mud-and-flints-fest at the bike check. Two plugs were not sufficient, three sealed the deal (sorry).

That held until Carhaix on the return - about 700km, after also surviving riding back 40-odd km to the hotel. I tried to add sealant at this stage. It had mostly solidified in the pouch. I managed to get a bit in. Pumped it up. Rode to Paris (via the odd ditch for a sleep).

Anchovies may work better for all I know. Dynaplugs are easier to use.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2

Thanks Jason: sounds like a 'no' if it didn't hold 60psi for a week ;)

It wouldn't hold 60 psi for a week before the worm repair either ;)  ;D
Regards,

Joergen

I've only had to use one of these once and it held. That was a Maxalami one, pushed in with the pronged tool. The tyre was a 28mm on the rear, which I was inflating to 80psi at the time. That repair held the 80psi as well as the tyre had before the cut (a few psi loss in a week) and lasted 2,600km (on a tyre which had covered 2,900m prior to the 3-4mm glass cut near the centre of the tread. I retired the tyre due to wear, not due to the repair.

Im not sure of the difference with the various plugs but thought it may be useful to mention that we have had great success with dynaplugs.
44mm 650b at 45psi. No noticeable pressure loss in weeks. Likewise with a 700 30mm at about 70psi.
often lost.

I've repaired a 30mm Schwalbe G-One with an anchovy and the repair was sound right up to the point that I decided I'd had enough of tubeless on one of the Friday's tours*. That was several 1000 miles later.
I would usually run the tyre at ~65psi and it would hold that as long as the (same) tubed tyre on the front wheel.

* Leaks around the rim meant that the tyre was going soft all day so I bit the bullet early one morning in the hotel and sat in the bathroom filling the bin with sealant soaked toilet paper before I popped a tube in. Problem solved but I had to run higher pressures and the ride wasn't as good.

I haven't gone back to tubeless but I'll be tempted to when the current tyres on the Dirty Disco need replacing. My doubts are about the Velocity Aleron rims that I use on that bike; they seem to leak air around the rim joint and the sealant didn't seem to.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
I haven't gone back to tubeless but I'll be tempted ..My doubts are about the Velocity Aeron rims that I use on that bike; they seem to leak air around the rim joint
I've used these rims successfully with 30mm Schwalbe S1 and various other tubeless tires

OK, so it sounds like it has worked reasonably well on occasions, but not at near to 100psi and not in 25mm tyres.

Clearly my expectations were a bit unrealistic, but I didn't know that at the time.

I still carry anchovies, but only because I still have a few left after several unsuccessful attempts; but if the sealant ain't doing it, then I mostly just empty out as much liquid as possible and bung a regular tube in.

I’ve got them to work well in low pressure / volume tyres ( MTB and Hybrids on 38mm and bigger at 40-50 psi ). I’ve never got them to work on a high pressure / volume tyre ( road bikes on 25mm tyres at 80-90 psi). I won’t use tubeless on the road bikes, unless the wheels happen to be supplied with them ( Mavic WTS forex).
Loving life with a beautiful Bianchi.

I have had plenty of success at 90 psi with 25mm Schwalbe Pro Ones and GP 4000 II with anchovies and now dynaplug racers, although I now run at 80 psi.  Conversely, friends have had problems with the same setup, the difference is in the sealant.  They were using Stans or Continental branded sealant where I use Orange Seal Endurance.  I have no reason to suspect that 100psi would be too much, but also a little surprised to see that you run such a high pressure setup.

I've only repaired one, and a relatively low-pressure 38mm tyre.  I used a Stan's dart and it made a perfect seal, the sealant congealing around it (as I discovered when the worn-out tyre was removed).   I'm fairly confident it would have worked with considerably higher pressure.

I have had plenty of success at 90 psi with 25mm Schwalbe Pro Ones and GP 4000 II with anchovies and now dynaplug racers, although I now run at 80 psi.  Conversely, friends have had problems with the same setup, the difference is in the sealant.  They were using Stans or Continental branded sealant where I use Orange Seal Endurance.  I have no reason to suspect that 100psi would be too much, but also a little surprised to see that you run such a high pressure setup.

I don't run at those pressures now, it was 4 years ago. 
Interesting; I was using Stans. It's all I have ever used.   Maybe I'll try Orange and see if I get better results. 

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
I've re-sealed many many tyres tubeless, 28mm upwards at up to 80 PSI, generally no problem, and I'm an Avid stans user, have been since it was supplied from Stans garage in the states ina small bottle and you had to mix it with water yourself  ::-)

I have learnt/found generally that if I feel or see the liquid coming out, its straight in with an anchovie even if it does seal itself. If the hole is big enough to spurt it will return, or blow the plug out with tyre movement or even heat.
On a few occasions, the tyre goes soft again slowly, but has always sealed with patience.

I've re-sealed many many tyres tubeless, 28mm upwards at up to 80 PSI, generally no problem, and I'm an Avid stans user, have been since it was supplied from Stans garage in the states ina small bottle and you had to mix it with water yourself  ::-)

I have learnt/found generally that if I feel or see the liquid coming out, its straight in with an anchovie even if it does seal itself. If the hole is big enough to spurt it will return, or blow the plug out with tyre movement or even heat.
On a few occasions, the tyre goes soft again slowly, but has always sealed with patience.

Thanks Jack, I'm now trying your approach. 5 Anchovies in my tyres and they are holding nicely at 65 psi, which is where I want them.

What I used to do was leave the minor holes and assume they would reseal and patch the major ones (inside). But that means taking the tyre at least partially off and doesn't always work. Sometimes fails straight away and sometimes in a few months when the pressure forces the patch through the hole and it wears a hole.

it nothing else it has been good practice to put a few Anchovies in. The last couple went in really easily and I didn't even lose any pressure.

Let's see how it works.