Author Topic: Revell 531c Frame  (Read 20025 times)

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
Re: Revell 531c Frame
« Reply #25 on: 27 October, 2010, 06:13:30 pm »
What a result  :thumbsup:  Did Grant offer any comment on how come it ended up badged as a Revell ?  (Seems a bit odd to me !)
Aero but not dynamic

The Mechanic

« Reply #26 on: 27 October, 2010, 07:20:28 pm »
Seems that Mercian, Dave Yates and others built the frames for Freewheel/Madison.  Have tried to post a pic but no joy.  How do I do that?

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #27 on: 28 October, 2010, 07:19:46 am »
Seems that Mercian, Dave Yates and others built the frames for Freeway/Madison.  Have tried to post a pic but no joy.  How do I do that?

You put it on Flickr or some such, cut and paste the address - the bit that starts 'http:' - and then tag it with the picture icon above.

Edit - if posting on Flickr there's a Mercian group who I'm sure would be most interested - Flickr: Mercian Cycles , owners frames and bikes
Aero but not dynamic

Paul Smith SRCC

• Surrey Road Cyling Club
  • 45+ years a club rider, 33+ years in cycle trade.
    • www.plsmith.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: 28 October, 2010, 10:19:16 am »
Seems that Mercian, Dave Yates and others built the frames for Freeway/Madison.  Have tried to post a pic but no joy.  How do I do that?

You put it on Flickr or some such, cut and paste the address - the bit that starts 'http:' - and then tag it with the picture icon above.

Edit - if posting on Flickr there's a Mercian group who I'm sure would be most interested - Flickr: Mercian Cycles , owners frames and bikes

I was the buyer for 'Freewheel' during the summer 1986, I can only recall Dave Yates building the custom models at that time, not sure who made the off the peg versions, I recall having a conversation with David about the latter as he was keen to make those as well, soon after Madison relocated so I left before anything came of it. Not sure when Mercian were used to be honest, I would have thought like Dave Yates they would have been the custom models only

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

The Mechanic

« Reply #29 on: 28 October, 2010, 10:46:44 am »
Judging by the frame number I think my might be a '83 frame.  I spoke to Dave's wife and she reckons it is not one of Dave's frames.  However, I sent a pic to Grant and he confirmed it was built by Mercian but the frame number was probably put on by someone else (Freewheel) as it is not a Mercian number.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #30 on: 28 October, 2010, 10:49:24 am »

I don't like the coffee ones

« Reply #31 on: 11 June, 2016, 08:27:21 pm »
Hi there only 6 years after the original topic...posted first in Frame related questions

Hi Mr Yates sir, new member here with a frame related question which I hope you and the other generous contributors can help me with.

I've just purchased a bike.  Its a Revell (Madison supplied, poss. early 80s) but bears no model name.  Its not a Romany tourer or a Ritmo (what the heck is a "Ritmo" anyway???) as far as I can tell from the few Revell posts on this forum.  Its made in 531c throughout with "close clearances" and no mudguard or other eyes. Has Campy ends and is a 22" frame. Full Shimano groupset (except for some nice Cinelli bars and stem).  Shimano BB and headset too. Usual head tube and seat tube badges and "Revell" on the downtube. And no discernible frame number but the initials(?) AE are stamped on the BB underneath.  Could this be the builder.

I wonder if its a "Rapide"?

Most striking is the colour scheme which looks original - a combination of red,blue, yellow with chromed driveside chainstay and rear ends!  The panels are "faded" into each other.  If I knew how to post a pic I would do that to aid identification(DONE!). Any wise and profound thoughts or insights?  I understand some Revell frames were made for Madison by some very esteemed builders back in the day - I believe your good name was mentioned along with that of Mercian!  Here's hoping you may be able to help me.  Thanks in anticipation...new pics of distinctive?? lugwork which are nicely tapered and pierced.

Pics here...https://www.flickr.com/gp/141591263@N05/703BHC

p.s. it turns out that "ritmo" is Spanish for rhythm - so I guess if fitted with right sort of saddle it could be an efficient form of contraception

« Reply #32 on: 11 June, 2016, 09:01:40 pm »
your pics are not publicly accessible; I think you need to revise your photo account settings.

A chum of mine bought a revel model similar to yours in the mid 1980s. The frame was reasonably tidy but lacked some of the finishing touches IIRC.

If you want to date your bike any original shimano equipment ought to have date marks on it. These can be deciphered with reference to the info at the bottom of this page

http://mombat.org/Shimano.htm

cheers

« Reply #33 on: 13 June, 2016, 10:43:09 am »
Thanks Brucey for your interest

Pics should now be accessible.  I'll checkout the Shimano date marks - most helpful thank you.

Done that - there is a varied mix of dates as is probably to be expected, ranging from a SORA rear mech of '79 vintage to a 42T chainwheel of 1988 which could be a later update to the gearing.  Everything else is '83, '84 or '85.  Probably then this was supplied as frameset only and the purchaser built it up with some new bits and the older rear mech.  Does this seem reasonable?

Therefore I guess the frame is 1983-1985 vintage, most likely '85.  As mentioned in my earlier post there's no number on the BB but discernible are the stamped letters "AE".

« Reply #34 on: 13 June, 2016, 02:11:01 pm »
SORA didn't exist in 1979, but 2005 year parts have the same date code, so I think you have a 2005 rear mech.

I think most of the Revell bikes were sold 'built up' BTW, and the original parts on your machine are reminiscent of others I have seen.

BTW I think the paint job may not be original, in part because there are no fork stickers.  That style of paint job is more reminiscent of late '80s early '90s to me.

cheers

« Reply #35 on: 13 June, 2016, 05:12:54 pm »
Thanks again Brucey for your interest and info.  I think you're quite right re: the paint.  The fading effect does look a bit amateurish I have to admit.  I have a feeling that the blue may well be original and the rest...well, I probably won't want the same painter to choose any new colour scheme.  There is a fair amount of surface rust (at least I hope it is only skin deep) which are the black spots all over - I used some rust killer on them.

I plan to get my local bike shop - old established and very reputable BTW - to assess whether its worth a respray. I believe it is but I may be delusional!  I rather fancy a plain royal blue or maybe crimson, with a couple of panels in white at headset and seat tube. The shop uses Bob Jackson and he seems v. reasonable.  I'd be v. happy to stick the same kit back on - maybe source a contemporary matching rear mech, they seem to be everywhere.

Cheers

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #36 on: 13 June, 2016, 06:18:36 pm »
I can't remember which Revell machines were also offered as frame+forks only, but my Romany certainly was.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #37 on: 13 June, 2016, 08:10:08 pm »
Thank you Mr Larrington sir.  I DO fear the bear!

I don't know which Revells were supplied frameset only either - but Brucey's suggestion that most were built up by Madison seems eminently reasonable and the replaced rear mech is not uncommon I expect.  Say a rider parts company with his steed and it lands awkwardly on its rear end there could be a degree of damage necessitating a new mech?  This my theory anyway!

What's your view of the paintjob?  It does look pretty ropey I must say - are you aware of any such finishes on a Revell in the 80's? I think Brucey has hit the spot with his assessment of a later paintjob at least.  And I believe Madison Revell disappeared in the mid 80's so its unlikely to be original.

As to the lack of a 531 fork label, the current frame label states "built with 531c fork blades & stays & butted frame tubes"  This should preclude the need for a separate fork label?

« Reply #38 on: 13 June, 2016, 08:26:55 pm »
Reynolds transfers have very often said that, but have been supplied in sets including fork blade transfers nonetheless.  I am pretty sure that back in the day my chum's Revell had fork blade transfers, and that is how the transfer sets were supplied.

BTW there is another possibility for a frameset with 'Revell' written on it, and that is that it is a frameset handbuilt by Tony Revell.  I am lucky enough to own such a frameset, but it came to me used. A friend sold it to me; he bought it from the man himself; I have only the scantiest knowledge of the man or his frames myself.

cheers

« Reply #39 on: 14 June, 2016, 07:53:55 am »
Morning Brucey, thanks for your continuing interest. My frame has the usual head and seat tube transfers that I have seen on other Madison Revell bikes, so I think that rules out the Tony Revell idea, but a good thought nevertheless. And the Revell typeface is the same as several others I have seen here and there.

BTW what sort of frame is your Tony Revell? Do you use it?

Cheers

« Reply #40 on: 14 June, 2016, 08:11:20 am »
it is a 653/531SL mix road racing frame. I've never seen another one like it, in several respects; it has a slack seat angle, very short chainstays, a fairly normal head angle (which looks steeper than it really is) and a fork without much offset (so a bit more trail than some other frames I've owned). It rides no-hands easier than almost any other bike I've had, even with lightweight wheels in it.   For the past couple of decades it has had a fixed gear in it and mudguards on P-clips, so I can scratch my fixed gear itch as the need arises.

cheers

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #41 on: 14 June, 2016, 09:58:18 am »
Many years ago....c.1984/5 I was given a stack of older ctc mags, when freewheel used to advertise in them, oh how I lusted after Revell Romany...wasnt it metallic choc brown with chrome dropouts?.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #42 on: 14 June, 2016, 10:40:03 am »
(Belatedly looks at the pictures)

The paint job doesn't ring any bells from my perusal of the Freewheel catalogue, which was essential bike pr0n reading in those pre-internet days.  My grate frend Mr Woolrich has a Rapide, now I come to think about it, which has a rather prosaic all-red finish.  As to the Reynolds transfers, my Romany has the "fork blades, stays nd butted frame tubes" ones too (only for 531 ST) including transfers on the fork blades.  It's sounding to me like an aftermarket paint job on a mid-eighties frame and who knows how many of the components are original after thirty-odd years?  The only original part of my "Trek 4300" - which is only half that age - is the frame itself.

Many years ago....c.1984/5 I was given a stack of older ctc mags, when freewheel used to advertise in them, oh how I lusted after Revell Romany...wasnt it metallic choc brown with chrome dropouts?.

Mine is a dark metallic grey, with no chrome anywhere.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #43 on: 14 June, 2016, 12:47:33 pm »
I recall seeing frames with similar colour schemes back in the 1980s, but I can't remember what make or makes they were.

531c downtube transfer looks exactly the same as the one on Mrs B's 1980s Orbit frame. That has 531 fork transfers, but transfers can get worn off a 30 year old bike.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897