Author Topic: does anyone still use Crudcatchers?  (Read 8238 times)

does anyone still use Crudcatchers?
« on: 21 September, 2010, 01:01:30 pm »
The down tube mounted ones I mean.

Back in the day I had one, but never really used it much in anger. After a break of many years I am getting back into MTB and sunglasses are required when it is wet to keep mud out of my eyes. It occurred to me that a crudcatcher might also be useful (when the front wheel is pointing straight ahead at least).

I've not seen anyone use one though - at trail centres, in the peaks etc. Is there a reason for this? Is it just futile, like trying to keep your feet dry?

Re: does anyone still use Crudcatchers?
« Reply #1 on: 21 September, 2010, 01:07:11 pm »
I do but I've been considering the fake motocross mudguards which attach to the fork.   Looks totally naff but would be significantly more effective I feel.

bikenerd

« Reply #2 on: 21 September, 2010, 02:43:44 pm »
I use one, and a "whaletail" on the back during winter, on the single speed.  On our regular night rides it is amazing the difference between those who are "too cool" to use a crud catcher and rear mudguard and those that don't care how cool their bike looks, they would rather be allowed into the pub after the ride!

My Genesis even has bosses for a crud catcher - quite a few of the British designed bikes do: Orange, Genesis, etc.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3 on: 21 September, 2010, 02:49:12 pm »
My daughter's Marin Bobcat has a Crudcatcher on the downtube & a Mr.Crud gaurd on the back.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #4 on: 21 September, 2010, 03:02:24 pm »
What about a guard between the fork brace and crown, to stop mud getting in your face?
ie one of these: RapidRacerProducts NeoGuard | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com
Or make something similar out of an old inner tube and zip ties.

Zoidburg

« Reply #5 on: 21 September, 2010, 03:04:42 pm »
I still see plenty, you will see less with the fair weather off roaders in the summer.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #6 on: 21 September, 2010, 03:10:35 pm »
I've got one, just nothing to fit it to at the moment ???

« Reply #7 on: 21 September, 2010, 03:19:16 pm »
What about a guard between the fork brace and crown, to stop mud getting in your face?
ie one of these: RapidRacerProducts NeoGuard | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

I've seen these, but not sure how they work! They'll surely only stop mud which is flying forward? The stuff that gets in your face surely has to pass the down tube first?

I'll concede that most of my riding has been over the summer - maybe I'll see more crud catchers over the next few months!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #8 on: 21 September, 2010, 03:25:29 pm »

It needs fitting to a trike :demon:
goto Classified Sales ;)

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #9 on: 21 September, 2010, 03:30:38 pm »

I've seen these, but not sure how they work! They'll surely only stop mud which is flying forward? The stuff that gets in your face surely has to pass the down tube first?
Mud is flying forwards and up, it gets slowed down by air resistance, while you ride forward into it. I think that's the theory anyway.
I've not used one myself, but I might have a go at making one soon - its getting a bit muddy around here. Most people who have them say they work well.

« Reply #10 on: 21 September, 2010, 04:57:12 pm »

Mud is flying forwards and up, it gets slowed down by air resistance, while you ride forward into it. I think that's the theory anyway.
I've not used one myself, but I might have a go at making one soon - its getting a bit muddy around here. Most people who have them say they work well.

Fuaran speaks the truth. I use abit of old inner tube and it works a treat. I also use a front fender (the rear half, anyway) and sometimes have a crud catcher below that. I don't like mud (or gravel in dry conditions) in my face!  ;D
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

« Reply #11 on: 21 September, 2010, 08:39:52 pm »
I guess that makes sense - might give it a whirl from old inner tube. Perhaps this is more effective than the crudcatcher? I've seen plenty of bikes set up with the mud deflector thingy in the forks, but no crudcatchers.

Mud in the face is no problem. Mud in the eyes is however, but my yellow lenses cut out too much light in the gloom of the woods. I got a top tip from a friend at the weekend: safety specs are cheaper than clear lens "sun"glasses. Just picked up a pair of these for a tenner!

« Reply #12 on: 21 September, 2010, 08:42:57 pm »
I've got one, but it came on the FSR I bought second-hand a few years ago, and I've never changed more than an inner tube on that...

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #13 on: 21 September, 2010, 08:48:40 pm »

It needs fitting to a trike :demon:
goto Classified Sales ;)

That's really kind but a suitable carrier is winging it's way Swiftly here :)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #14 on: 23 September, 2010, 01:18:08 pm »
Yep! got one on the old orange P7, and it keeps the shmoo out of MY eyes, bin on there for years, but take it off in the winter when it gets used for a winter hack avec les mudgards!

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #15 on: 28 September, 2010, 08:00:24 pm »
I fitted one to my spesh rockhopper.

Sadly when I removed it, it appears that retained nasty stuff (salt?) has stripped away the paint underneath.

Possibly more regular cleaning would have avoided this.

« Reply #16 on: 28 September, 2010, 08:02:43 pm »
Yep, rode the Giant Yukon to work today along the tow path.  Crud catchers front and rear.  The old style down tube on the front and a fuller but still proper Crud on the back.

GraemeMcC

• CaptainContours
« Reply #17 on: 10 July, 2012, 12:49:16 pm »
+1 on all counts.
I bought one and it velcros on/off with straps around the fork crown and the struts brace. Easy to get off for rinsing down. And it does catch a lot of crud.

You could make one by cutting up an old tube and zip-tying around the crowns but they're only £8 (or so).
PBP 2011: 1234 km by Nr. 5678 in < 90 hrs. Most auspicious...

« Reply #18 on: 10 July, 2012, 09:23:13 pm »
Have a look at Mucky Nutz Bender Fender.

2 minutes to fit and does a great job.

Looks good for a guard too
http://muckynutz.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=46
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #19 on: 13 July, 2012, 04:42:41 pm »
I'm now using an SKS Shockboard. I think its much more effective than just a Crudcatcher or a thing on the fork crown.
Though the quick-release mount doesn't seem very solid, I might just zip-tie it on instead. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sks-shock-board-mtb-front-mudguard/

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #20 on: 13 July, 2012, 05:44:51 pm »
I'm now using an SKS Shockboard. I think its much more effective than just a Crudcatcher or a thing on the fork crown.
Though the quick-release mount doesn't seem very solid, I might just zip-tie it on instead. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sks-shock-board-mtb-front-mudguard/

How does it attach to the front forks - looked at wiggle and it didn't look that obvious?

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #21 on: 13 July, 2012, 06:32:00 pm »
Its got a plastic bung that goes in the bottom of the fork steerer, the mount is screwed onto the bottom of that. Then the mudguard slides onto the mount.
You can get instructions on the SKS website: http://www.sks-germany.com/?l=en&a=product&r=mudguards&i=5283300000&SHOCKBOARD

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #22 on: 13 July, 2012, 07:15:19 pm »
Thanks!

AndyK

« Reply #23 on: 18 July, 2012, 09:17:46 am »
I swap the full mudguards for a Crudcatcher on my 'shopping' bike during summer.