Author Topic: Mending a downmat  (Read 1628 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Mending a downmat
« on: 23 July, 2012, 08:08:45 am »
My downmat let me down last night. I've found a small slit an I reckon my sleeping bag zip has cut it. Has anyone successfully repaired a downmat? NB my repair kit is in Southend and I am in Great Malvern.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Re: Mending a downmat
« Reply #1 on: 23 July, 2012, 08:13:19 am »
Can you cover it with a patch from your puncture repair kit? The advice is to put a load of glue around the rip and put a patch over the top to seal it.

It's unlikely to be perfect; you can repair it permanently when you get home.

« Reply #2 on: 23 July, 2012, 09:05:24 am »
I am in Great Malvern.
Where precisely.  I may be able to help.

« Reply #3 on: 23 July, 2012, 07:58:51 pm »
Sorry to hear this, Wow. I was going to suggest the same as Deano. Or perhaps you could find a mat to share in the meantime?  ;)

My second Downmat has started to spit feathers again. I'm at the same stage.  >:(

« Reply #4 on: 24 July, 2012, 01:25:12 am »
I'd recommend tear aid for a near permanent repair. Closest Millets stores are in Worcester or Hereford.
A similar alternative would be tenacious tape. Closest is Blacks is in Cheltenham.

Do you have a Park tyre boot? One of those should work OK for a while. However note that a permanent repair is more likely to succeed if you haven't got glue from a temporary repair all over the surrounding area.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #5 on: 25 July, 2012, 06:06:27 pm »
I have effected a temporary repair with a repair kit for vinyl caravan awnings (that is, vinyl awnings for caravans before mattc or jaded one of the forum pedants pulls me up on it).

It was fine for the first night but I had to add a bit of air for the second. I don't think the adhesive on the patch is suitable for a downmat and I suspect that it will peel off once the mat has been packed away a couple of times.

I'm sure I have a proper downmat repair kit somewhere but, like the loon that I am, I didn't take it touring with me.

<stares sternly over rimless spectacles, for want of a wagging-finger smiley>
And Peli, I was camping with Jane. Lovely as she is, we were very decorous and had separate tents.
</stares sternly etc>

« Reply #6 on: 25 July, 2012, 11:19:47 pm »
If you are stuck I have one here and only 10 miles from Malvern. I will send you a pm with my mobile number if you want to meet up.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #7 on: 26 July, 2012, 12:25:06 pm »
Thanks for the offers, one and all!

Now I'm home I have surprised myself by being able to find a Downmat repair kit, but the patch I put on seems to be firmly attached, even after the mat has been packed away and unfolded again. I'm a bit reluctant to mess about with it, to be honest, but I will certainly ensure that I will take the repair kit with me on my next tour, which is in mid-Aug.

« Reply #8 on: 26 July, 2012, 10:12:06 pm »
Useless without piccies etc.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain