Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1752925 times)

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #2100 on: 13 August, 2011, 08:14:09 pm »
That's a bit forward  :o

He might not be your cup of tea!

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #2101 on: 13 August, 2011, 08:22:49 pm »

;D

I was wondering whether our new Essex based member would be interested in THIS hence enquiring about camping kit.

In any case, as has been well documented I handed over the mantle of being the YACF East Anglian gay icon to Oaky  ;D

bloomers100

« Reply #2102 on: 13 August, 2011, 09:30:24 pm »

;D

I was wondering whether our new Essex based member would be interested in THIS hence enquiring about camping kit.

In any case, as has been well documented I handed over the mantle of being the YACF East Anglian gay icon to Oaky  ;D

Haha yes indeed.

It would be good to meet you Jason, there's a lull at the moment but I'm sure we'll be back with some enthusiasm soon. Then there's the Christmas book club do.

brickiejase

« Reply #2103 on: 14 August, 2011, 12:20:07 am »
yeah got panniers on one bike, you might see me about on it.
or Thursday  papermill lock 6.30 : up north hill, left down to woodham walter, left ulting , Hatfield Pev back to bottom of north hill x 3.

« Reply #2104 on: 14 August, 2011, 07:49:36 am »
or Thursday  papermill lock 6.30 : up north hill, left down to woodham walter, left ulting , Hatfield Pev back to bottom of north hill x 3.
OMG! Oaky's cloned himself!  :o

brickiejase

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2106 on: 14 August, 2011, 09:59:48 pm »
You have invisible panniers!

My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #2107 on: 14 August, 2011, 11:04:13 pm »
You have invisible panniers!

They must be the extra light ones!
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #2108 on: 14 August, 2011, 11:22:20 pm »
I'm back.  Anyone venturing out this Wednesday?

I'm back too.  Unfortunately, there's a better than even chance mrs_o will be out on wednesday.

If she isn't, then I'd definitely be up for a trip to Goldhanger.

OMG! Oaky's cloned himself!  :o

hehe :) sounds not unlike the loop I use on my NH route (I don't quite loop back through Hat Pev - just through Nounsley, past Nutty's slimed bottom (I don't partake these days - too many falls now)).

Mostly nowadays I'm too eager for the hill to loop round the 9.6 miles ;D and instead just ride up to the General's Arms and then ride back down to the North hill Sign nr Papermill lock for my repeats.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2109 on: 15 August, 2011, 06:00:34 am »
The plan at the moment is for me and my mate Steve to leave at 7pm from my garage door en route to Goldhanger.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #2110 on: 15 August, 2011, 10:48:27 am »
I have a Wednesday afternoon meeting in London so unsure if I'll make it back for the off-time from Witham, but if not I could be a late arrival in Goldhanger  :)

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #2111 on: 15 August, 2011, 03:50:42 pm »
I have a Wednesday afternoon meeting in London so unsure if I'll make it back for the off-time from Witham, but if not I could be a late arrival in Goldhanger  :)

mrs_o still doesn't know whether her fixture on Wednesday night is on or not.

If her thing doesn't go ahead, then I'll be in the same boat as you -  I also have a meeting in London in the afternoon meaning I'd be a late starter too.

I will check with her tonight to see if I'm a late-starter or a non-runner.

There's a fairly obvious direct route too.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2112 on: 15 August, 2011, 04:01:02 pm »

mrs_o still doesn't know whether her fixture on Wednesday night is on or not.

If her thing doesn't go ahead, then I'll be in the same boat as you -  I also have a meeting in London in the afternoon meaning I'd be a late starter too.

I will check with her tonight to see if I'm a late-starter or a non-runner.

There's a fairly obvious direct route too.

Send us a text if either of you is going to be a late arrival, we'll save you some beer.  I like your idea of the direct route  :demon: , I won't tell Steve beforehand and see how long it takes him to twig  ;D

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #2113 on: 15 August, 2011, 05:08:49 pm »
    Been a while since a MEMWNS....but I shall be otherwise engaged alas: crossing the channel on Weds for a certain ride, starting on Sunday eve.....you can follow my trail across France - numero 5654: www.paris-brest-paris.org
    Have fun on Wednesday - I shall be visiting the Mildenhall Rally on Bank Hol. Monday btw - anyone going?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2114 on: 15 August, 2011, 05:25:14 pm »
    Been a while since a MEMWNS....but I shall be otherwise engaged alas: crossing the channel on Weds for a certain ride, starting on Sunday eve.....you can follow my trail across France - numero 5654: www.paris-brest-paris.org
    Have fun on Wednesday - I shall be visiting the Mildenhall Rally on Bank Hol. Monday btw - anyone going?

Good luck Tomsk old chap.  Have you done the PBP before?

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2115 on: 15 August, 2011, 05:36:02 pm »
I wondered about going on Monday, maybe bringing Poppy.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #2116 on: 15 August, 2011, 05:36:28 pm »

Enjoy!

I won't be at Mildenhall on account of being up North that weekend.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #2117 on: 16 August, 2011, 07:45:19 am »

mrs_o's night out is actually the following Wednesday, so I' good for tomorrow night.  I will be a late-starter though owing to my meetings in London.

The fairly obvious direct route should still allow a decent amount of time in the Chequers.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #2118 on: 16 August, 2011, 09:01:58 am »

mrs_o's night out is actually the following Wednesday, so I' good for tomorrow night.  I will be a late-starter though owing to my meetings in London.

The fairly obvious direct route should still allow a decent amount of time in the Chequers.

How does an 8pm start from the J&J or the train station sound?  I'm thinking the 18:32 from Liverpool St should give plenty of time for an 8pm departure for Goldhanger to arrive between 9 and 9:30, taking the obvious route of course!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2119 on: 16 August, 2011, 09:17:48 am »
Top banana!  My route is going to include the Col de Wickham Bishop followed by the Col de North Hill  ;D

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #2120 on: 16 August, 2011, 12:04:10 pm »

How does an 8pm start from the J&J or the train station sound?  I'm thinking the 18:32 from Liverpool St should give plenty of time for an 8pm departure for Goldhanger to arrive between 9 and 9:30, taking the obvious route of course!

8pm is good for me.  Either location works (I'll probably be on a slightly earlier train than that, with any luck).

Shall we say J+J, considering our departure direction?

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #2121 on: 16 August, 2011, 12:11:13 pm »
Shall we say J+J, considering our departure direction?
  :thumbsup:

bloomers100

« Reply #2122 on: 17 August, 2011, 07:25:21 pm »
Bit wet, I'm in charge at home so won't be out. Besides my legs hurt having done the 38 round trip commute three days on the trot, one more to go. This maybe a prelude to dropping down to one car. I'm afraid I'm not gonna make the compasses this weekend, v disappointed, v festival commitments, although I do note there's a beer event at the leather bottle and the Duck the week after so maybe we can cobble something together for then (although I am in no way forward planning and I haven't forgotten I owe OD a pint).

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2123 on: 18 August, 2011, 07:30:29 am »
That was much fun. 

Myself and my mate Steve (hasy64 on here) set off in light rain from my house at 7pm after we had tweaked his gears and stopped his back brake from rubbing.  Our route was as convoluted and hilly as I could make it - much to Steve's horror.  As we approached each junction I amused myself by informing him that "Of course if we were taking the direct route we'd turn left here left here but that'd be no fun so we're turning right!". 

Eventually we arrived at The Chequers, Goldhanger and ordered some proper bitter for Steve and a pint of Old Rosie (7.3%) for me as I'm going through a bit of a cider phase.  Once Oaky and Huggy arrived we discovered Steve was a pickled egg virgin.  The good news is that he lost his cherry to a Mrs Semolina egg served in time honoured fashion in a packet of crisps (Tyrells salt and vinegar) ...

The ride home was dry and included our last hill of any note (Mountains Road out of Great Totham).  We parted company with Oaky and Huggy by the war memorial and rolled back to Witham past The Green Man.

A smashing night out, thanks chaps  :thumbsup:

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #2124 on: 18 August, 2011, 03:03:07 pm »
Not much more to add, other than the obligatory beer listing:  I had Lancaster Kingmaker (v. nice indeed), Hopback Summer Lightning and Woodforde's Nelson's Revenge. huggy also had the St Austell Tribute.  They had Young's on as well, but I'm not sure if any of us tried it.