Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1752969 times)

Monty

• Buffoon
Re: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #11200 on: 05 September, 2017, 11:07:09 pm »
<waves>

I've been lured here by psyclist, so thought I'd better pop in and say hello  :thumbsup:

I'm in Burnham On Crouch and currently cycle round the Dengie. Quite limited on mileage I'm afraid until I can get myself to cope with anything over 2 hours in the saddle!
Steady at 15

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #11201 on: 06 September, 2017, 12:08:27 am »
Welcome  :thumbsup:

Some options for you ...

We can easily arrange a Wednesday evening run to a pub closer to you.  Or you could use a train to get closer to Mid-Essex, you being well and truly in South Essex. 

Or, reading your other posts very briefly, you could invest in a new saddle!  There is no reason why anything over 2 hours in the saddle should be a problem.  Many of us favour Brooks B17 saddles which do require some breaking as they are made of leather; but there are lots of other options.  Many road bikes are sold with saddles that, in my opinion, are quite unsuitable (in fact downright cruel) for longer rides.  If we do manage to meet up I'm sure we can offer more advice.

Anyhow, it would be good to meet you.  On first inspection we might look like a bunch of beer drinkers with a cycling problem but we do in fact know what we are about and can clock up some miles if required.  What we definitely are is a friendly bunch so please come and join us!

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #11202 on: 06 September, 2017, 07:42:09 am »
Welcome  :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: Welcome Monty!

Maldon Pubs aren't too far for you I guess, and we've been down Dengie way a few times on a Wednesday evening...

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #11203 on: 06 September, 2017, 07:55:07 am »
I'll be there too - do we still aim for 9pm?
:thumbsup:
Yep, 9pm ETA, likely a pretty direct route for the Witham Peloton.

Oh, is that a direct route you were going to propose?  :-*  ;D
Well, in the absence of any other proposal, here is the route we did 2 years ago, looks like I was trying out the Essex R&R route to Stock.  Less than optimal route home through Chelmsford but that can be winged at the time....
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #11204 on: 06 September, 2017, 09:37:28 am »

Well, in the absence of any other proposal, here is the route we did 2 years ago, looks like I was trying out the Essex R&R route to Stock.  Less than optimal route home through Chelmsford but that can be winged at the time....
Welcome to Monty.
I'll be looking to intercept the peloton at the top of North hill tonight. Usual time of just after 8
If Monty is looking to join us drop me  pm and I'll call to arrange a place to meet and join the peloton as on that side of the county. Joining that way gives us a slightly later start time.

Sent using Tapatalk

Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #11205 on: 06 September, 2017, 09:45:38 am »
Excellent, we have a plan.  I reserve the right to get the train home from Chelmsford  :smug:

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #11206 on: 06 September, 2017, 10:16:07 am »
Excellent, we have a plan.  I reserve the right to get the train home from Chelmsford  :smug:
Like last time when I was indoors before you and I cycled all the way home  ;D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #11207 on: 06 September, 2017, 10:23:38 am »
Like last time when I was indoors before you and I cycled all the way home  ;D

Remember, nobody likes a smartarse  ;D

Monty

• Buffoon
« Reply #11208 on: 06 September, 2017, 10:25:35 am »

Welcome to Monty.
I'll be looking to intercept the peloton at the top of North hill tonight. Usual time of just after 8
If Monty is looking to join us drop me  pm and I'll call to arrange a place to meet and join the peloton as on that side of the county. Joining that way gives us a slightly later start time.

Sent using Tapatalk

I'm out for a ride this morning, so that'll be my lot for the day I'm afraid. But thanks for the offer :)
Steady at 15

Oscar's dad

« Reply #11209 on: 06 September, 2017, 10:29:41 am »
Monty, pick a pub that's easy for you to get to on a Wednesday evening.

Monty

• Buffoon
« Reply #11210 on: 06 September, 2017, 10:34:00 am »

I've had a brief scroll through the vast list posted yesterday. I can get to Goldhanger (I virtually spent my childhood in the Chequers!), or anywhere around Maldon. Embarrassingly, I would probably drive as I'm really very, very unkeen on cycling in the dark!
Steady at 15

Oscar's dad

« Reply #11211 on: 06 September, 2017, 10:42:48 am »

I've had a brief scroll through the vast list posted yesterday. I can get to Goldhanger (I virtually spent my childhood in the Chequers!), or anywhere around Maldon. Embarrassingly, I would probably drive as I'm really very, very unkeen on cycling in the dark!

Ah, the subject of lights, we can help you with them as well!  Riding in the dark is something I love and its also something you get used to quite quickly.  Modern lights are quite literally brilliant, they also make riding at night safer (I think) than riding during the day as drivers can see you much further away so have time to react to your presence in a more positive fashion.  Also, drivers approaching  a group of riders from the front will often just stop or really slow down, particularly on the narrow lanes we frequent.  This phenomena is know as the "what the fuck?" effect as they don't know what is approaching them, could it be a low flying alien spaceship?

The Chequers at Goldhanger is good.  jibers who is now our Global Head of Forward Planning (a role he inherited from me) will make the necessary arrangements - watch this space  :thumbsup:

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #11212 on: 06 September, 2017, 12:13:55 pm »

Ah, the subject of lights, we can help you with them as well!  Riding in the dark is something I love and its also something you get used to quite quickly.  Modern lights are quite literally brilliant, they also make riding at night safer (I think) than riding during the day as drivers can see you much further away so have time to react to your presence in a more positive fashion.  Also, drivers approaching  a group of riders from the front will often just stop or really slow down, particularly on the narrow lanes we frequent.  This phenomena is know as the "what the fuck?" effect as they don't know what is approaching them, could it be a low flying alien spaceship?

The Chequers at Goldhanger is good.  jibers who is now our Global Head of Forward Planning (a role he inherited from me) will make the necessary arrangements - watch this space  :thumbsup:

We are at The Chequers 4th Oct and Blue Boar 11 Oct. 

I think Chelmsford CTC are at The Chequers on Sunday this weekend (daytime)
Regards,

Joergen

Andy C33

• Beverage Procurement Officer.
« Reply #11213 on: 06 September, 2017, 06:50:24 pm »
Can't get out tonight  :(, Bon Voyage.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #11214 on: 07 September, 2017, 12:29:43 am »

It was chaos without you...  :'( Grant did a good job at trying to smooth the waves but was lacking to professional BB touch... I'm sure OD will be along with a full report if he survives the A12 on the way home...
Regards,

Joergen

Andy C33

• Beverage Procurement Officer.
« Reply #11215 on: 07 September, 2017, 08:54:36 am »
Maybe now the time to push for better terms of employment.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #11216 on: 07 September, 2017, 10:08:20 am »
Maybe now the time to push for better terms of employment.

Have you been chatting to your uncle again?
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #11217 on: 11 September, 2017, 09:51:26 am »

It was chaos without you...  :'( Grant did a good job at trying to smooth the waves but was lacking to professional BB touch... I'm sure OD will be along with a full report if he survives the A12 on the way home...

Oh yes, last week, The Viper, it was chaos without you Andy, huggy is a rubbish Beer Bitch. 

This week jibers Lord of Forward Planning suggests we visit The Compasses, Littley Green, which works fine for me and I hope The Proper Beer Bitch will be back in action.  How do others feel about this week's suggestion?

Having said The Compasses gets my vote there is a slim change I might not be able to make as I might have to go to a trade show at the NEC  >:(

« Reply #11218 on: 11 September, 2017, 11:42:18 am »
The Compasses in Littley Green works for me.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #11219 on: 12 September, 2017, 04:05:27 pm »
And me :thumbsup:

« Reply #11220 on: 12 September, 2017, 04:16:41 pm »
It has come as a surprise that after cycling 610km certain parts of my anatomy still ache 36 hours on when the garmin said I needed 36 hours recovery time. As if I would trust a Garmin

I'm up for a ride to the Compasses but may Intercept once a route is decided.

Sent using Tapatalk

Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #11221 on: 12 September, 2017, 06:11:45 pm »
I might take the route to the Compasses via Hartford End, just to check something out which I thought I had a record of but now can't trust it.

« Reply #11222 on: 12 September, 2017, 06:13:59 pm »
Should be out tomorrow night fingers crossed...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #11223 on: 12 September, 2017, 06:25:24 pm »
I shall probably be arriving via a circuitous route involving Clatterford End, North End & Felsted  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #11224 on: 12 September, 2017, 06:30:27 pm »
OD, are you going to be out/ I have a pus filled lump on my bits....might let your hands do their work  ;D Just kidding...about your hands anyway!

I shall be keeping the commutes very short this week so will leave you all to it  :-[