Author Topic: New family tent  (Read 6978 times)

New family tent
« on: 10 January, 2023, 08:02:28 am »
Our old tent which is 10 years old isn't waterproof anymore despite attempts to reproof which if anything just seem to have created a condensation problem.

I'm therefore looking at a new family tent for car/canoe vamping so weight etc aren't the biggest issue. Is for 2 adults and two growing kids but will want to do for them till they won't want to camp with us anymore

I'd love a bell type tent but don't know the actual practicalities of these. We often camp for a week so something solid is needed but don't want a vast tent as we often visit smaller sites

Budgets probably around 400 to 500 as asking people for money towards for a big birthday. Will be used from April to probably early October

Oh for comparison this is what we currently have

https://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/tents/p/Vango-Calisto-500/1950

Re: New family tent
« Reply #1 on: 10 January, 2023, 08:14:38 am »
For vamping I would suggest something in lace and silk.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2 on: 10 January, 2023, 08:37:30 am »
 ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #3 on: 10 January, 2023, 08:49:28 am »
The Vango Osiris Air 500 seems to be available for £400 at the moment and looks similar in design to your current tent save for the colour scheme and new air tube arrangement.

« Reply #4 on: 10 January, 2023, 10:10:40 am »
I'd stick with Vange if I were you. Outwell are more pricey and tbh aren't significantly worth it imho. Vango tents are good,  honest and affordable tents.

Outdoor action in Blackburn stock a good range of tents at decent prices. If you're anywhere near Blackburn their store is a rabbit Warren with many tents pitched indoors  even big ones!

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #5 on: 10 January, 2023, 12:18:35 pm »
We have a Vango Icarus 500 (no longer made), which we use for car camping ... but it's just two of us and a dog.  It'll sleep 5 - if you want to be 'cosy'.  The great thing is you can stand up in it and it has a 'living room' for all the junk that Mr R insists on bringing.

You might want to look at something with separate sleeping areas for the kids.  Decathlon does an inflatable tent with two bedrooms - only £430.    You can get a poled blackout version for only £250.

Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #6 on: 10 January, 2023, 12:28:25 pm »
We have a papa hubba 4 person that was originally purchased for a planned cycling tour taking our (3) dogs.
the tour wasn't activated in the end due to various issues ranging from Brexit,  dog  and people health.
We did try it in the garden a few times and it worked well, though might be a little tight for 4 bipedals.
Light, airy, decent head room.
Its in the drawer waiting to be activated on a future date when the right combo of dogs are under our care.
Its an American brand though and so as mentioned in another thread the HH may not be up to snuff for European wet weather.
often lost.

« Reply #7 on: 13 January, 2023, 08:33:32 pm »
Thanks. I am still tempted by a bell tent. Anyone got any experience.

« Reply #8 on: 16 January, 2023, 04:59:22 pm »

Yep, they are heavy, once they get wet they take and age to dry, not a great deal of head room.

However, they are lovely to be in. Mrs GC can put it up on her own. Everyone likes to talk to you about it.

I bought another, small one, for mini GC so she has a room of her own.

« Reply #9 on: 16 January, 2023, 06:31:53 pm »
Have a look at the offering from Backpackinglight. Although not Bell tents some of their tepee range might be okay. Look at the Octapeak F8 in the two inner format.

https://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/shelters-3.html
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

« Reply #10 on: 16 January, 2023, 08:37:12 pm »
I want a megahorn just for the name

« Reply #11 on: 17 January, 2023, 06:55:59 am »
 ;D ;D
Home

« Reply #12 on: 17 January, 2023, 08:48:25 am »
Although seriously the f8 would be perfect but not likely to be big enough or glam enough for wife's approval

« Reply #13 on: 17 January, 2023, 11:22:58 am »
If you could get over to Upton, Bob or Rose would demonstrate either or both for you. Also they have some videos that are worth watching.
Home

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #14 on: 17 January, 2023, 02:43:18 pm »

Yes, love it, but as others have pointed out it's very heavy and a pig to dry out. We always pitch it in the back garden during the summer to provide additional shade as unlike nylon tents it stays quite cool inside.

We've camped as a family of 4 but it's a squeeze. Perfect for 2 people though which leaves plenty of room for stuff.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #15 on: 17 January, 2023, 09:35:25 pm »
If you could get over to Upton, Bob or Rose would demonstrate either or both for you. Also they have some videos that are worth watching.

Unfortunately I'm in MEMWNS/ACME  territory so  long way from there

Did email a bell tent seller with a new details and a little miffed not heard back yet

« Reply #16 on: 30 January, 2023, 02:34:20 pm »
I'm pleased to read a couple of positive posts about bell tents as our new 5mtr bell tent arrived last week. We're not planning a trip away with it until May although I will get out and get it pitched on the local school field before then.

Someone mentioned the megahorn; we've been using one for the last 5 years. It's very spacious for 2 and although not especially lightweight you can cycle tour with it, essential for us as Mrs B won't tour in a tent that she can't stand up in.

« Reply #17 on: 02 February, 2023, 09:00:44 am »
I'm pleased to read a couple of positive posts about bell tents as our new 5mtr bell tent arrived last week. We're not planning a trip away with it until May although I will get out and get it pitched on the local school field before then.

Someone mentioned the megahorn; we've been using one for the last 5 years. It's very spacious for 2 and although not especially lightweight you can cycle tour with it, essential for us as Mrs B won't tour in a tent that she can't stand up in.

What tent did you go for, I contacted I think was canvas tent shop with some questions and they essentially copy and pasted details off their website which I wasn't overly impressed with

Don't suppose you're anywhere near Essex as would quite like to look at a megahorn

« Reply #18 on: 03 February, 2023, 08:39:16 am »
We went for this one:
https://belltent.co.uk/products/5m-deluxe-bell-tent

With this porch extension:
https://belltent.co.uk/products/bell-tent-porch

We had a good look round a similar tent at a tandem Club rally last year and decided that it was the tent for us.

although they are not cheap they're not especially expensive either, similar to a mid-range Outwell, should be very long lasting too.

We're up in Newcastle so nowhere near you I'm afraid.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #19 on: 03 February, 2023, 11:31:44 am »
We went for this one:

We had a good look round a similar tent at a tandem Club rally last year and decided that it was the tent for us.

although they are not cheap they're not especially expensive either, similar to a mid-range Outwell, should be very long lasting too.

Does it come with a team of Sherpas to carry it for you?
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #20 on: 09 February, 2023, 03:03:24 pm »
We went for this one:

Does it come with a team of Sherpas to carry it for you?

Believe it or not we bought it as a downsizing exercise.

We've always used a large car trailer when going way with the big tent but when we switched to leasing an EV I didn't want to fork out for a towbar on a car I'd be keeping for 3 years.

We've been using a Burguhs Air 8 and corresponding porch extension since 2016, packed up its dimensions are immense and use too much of the reduced boot space.

When packed the bell tent is heavy, though I can happily live with that because it's much more compact than the air tent was.

« Reply #21 on: 09 February, 2023, 09:03:08 pm »
That's really interesting to know. I've seen people packing up their air tents into the wheelie bags, but I'd not really thought of it as being any more bulky than the bell tent, the inner, the awning and any other bits and pieces.

I am however thinking of getting a smaller more compact tent for some of our family camping. Sadly, Mrs GC has said that the amount of 'stand up space' in the bell tent is too little - so all of the tents I've been considering are very much out of the question.

Enjoy your new tent!

A

« Reply #22 on: 12 February, 2023, 07:03:03 am »
The size of some packed tents does worry me especially as at somepoint will get a smaller car (currently a chrysler mini van).

This really does make me tempted by the octapeak but might not be glam enough for the wife. Do need to make a decision fairly soon as camping end of next month

« Reply #23 on: 06 March, 2023, 09:04:27 pm »
As I need to get my arse in gear or try and fit a family of four in my bivvy bag can I ask does anyone have any experience of oxford fabric. Seems lighter and less prone to rot but not sure if it's going to be less resilient and breathable compared to heavier bell tent canvas?

« Reply #24 on: 24 March, 2023, 01:11:33 pm »
After much deliberation just ordered a 5 metre one from belltentsussex.co.uk. Was slightly tempted by one with stove flap but currently out of stock and need for end of month

Will report back on how it goes