Author Topic: OATCAKES  (Read 15297 times)

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
Re: OATCAKES
« Reply #50 on: 26 April, 2013, 03:20:18 pm »
OK.  I'm not going to get around to making oatcakes, so I'll have to get them in from the StupidMarket.  Stokie in pub says Sainsbury's.
Agree?
If not where?

mail order? (I've never tried Poveys' mail order service, but have eaten their oatcakes (bought when in Leek), and found them to be fairly good).
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #51 on: 26 April, 2013, 11:19:57 pm »
I'm having two tomorrow :)

Out on the bike in the morning to get an appetite first though!
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #52 on: 27 April, 2013, 01:09:29 pm »
I just finished making a batch.  My kitchen now hosts 34 oatcakes.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #53 on: 27 April, 2013, 01:13:46 pm »
I just finished making a batch.  My kitchen now hosts 34 oatcakes.

Excellent.  :thumbsup:

You have my address?
 ;)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #54 on: 29 April, 2013, 04:33:00 pm »
Sorry Basil - they're nearly all gone already (3 left in the fridge and 8 in the freezer).

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #55 on: 29 April, 2013, 05:49:59 pm »
Eight's fine.  ;-)
Will it be courier or postman?
;-)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #56 on: 04 May, 2013, 12:29:30 pm »
We have oatcakes for dinner.Need to decide what fillings to have with them.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #57 on: 14 May, 2013, 08:31:37 pm »
The last 8 of my last batch are now out of the freezer.  Four were taken with me for the Asparagus and Strawberries audax on Saturday (grilled with cheese and onion and rolled up, and allowed to cool -- excellent on the bike food).

Two of the remainder were eaten on the side of a rather good salad earlier on, this time smply grilled until just crispy and buttered.

I must get myself to Morrison's and pick up some more oatmeal.

« Reply #58 on: 28 May, 2013, 09:51:41 pm »
Experimentation continues. Made a couple for late-night sustenance on the Rollright Stones ride.They used much less saddlebag space than wheat bread sandwiches and were much moister :thumbsup:.

I'm starting to take these old fashioned things seriously.

Mrs N. & I spent some time in Derbyshire earlier this month. In Bakewell  ??? we struggled to find good local cheese, but picked up half a dozen oatcakes at the market. They warmed up quickly under a grill: Mrs N. likes them with marmalade, whereas I was happy with fried egg.

The puzzling feature of the home-made stuff is that it's so very different from the commercial 'cakes. The latter are only pancake thick. Mine are 5mm thick or more. I'd describe them as robust leavened flatbreads. I had to put rubber bands round them to stop unrolling for the Stones ride, though that might be just because they were freshly cooked. (I think) Basil suggested apricot jam as an adhesive to solve that problem...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #59 on: 07 June, 2013, 07:20:13 pm »
 3 Oatcakes with cheese & bacon filling. :thumbsup:

« Reply #60 on: 13 August, 2013, 02:28:31 am »
I've had a request for a recipe from one of my 'work' colleagues who is gluten intolerant.

I used my last lot on the Rollright Stones ride, wrapped around the best available midland cheese. I enjoyed those, but had mixed feelings; the oatcakes were a bit soggy, whereas wheat bread (wholemeal natch) tends to be a bit dry. I'm still not sure whether the weakness was in my oatcake recipe or the cheese.  Meanwhile, the oatcakes take up less sadlebag space IMLE.

Does anyone else have alternative suggestions that don't include wheat?

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #61 on: 13 August, 2013, 11:30:11 pm »
Buckwheat flour?  (I have a feelign that is gluten free)

French Galettes de BlĂ© Noir are made with this and are not unlike a thin oatcake in some ways, and are served similarly.  Perhaps using a traditional oatcake recipe with buckwheat flour in place of the wheat flour may work?

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #62 on: 05 November, 2013, 10:33:33 pm »
Planning a curry?  Have left over cooked potatoes, peas and sweetcorn from the kids' tea?

A little bit of spice, a few oatcakes from the freezer and 12 minutes or so in the oven later - hey-presto: Oatcake vegetable samosas!

They worked really well!  ;D

« Reply #63 on: 05 November, 2013, 11:10:54 pm »
I just fancy a couple of them!
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
« Reply #64 on: 06 June, 2015, 07:21:11 am »
Oatcake vegetable samosas!
If anybody's still reading this thread, a little question.  How do you get the oatcake to stay together in the triangular wrap - doesn't it come apart?
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

« Reply #65 on: 06 June, 2015, 08:35:43 am »
header set X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Jogler

Si_Co

« Reply #66 on: 06 June, 2015, 08:50:54 am »

:'(  :)

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #67 on: 06 June, 2015, 09:24:30 pm »
Oatcake vegetable samosas!
If anybody's still reading this thread, a little question.  How do you get the oatcake to stay together in the triangular wrap - doesn't it come apart?

If I remember correctly, you cut the oatcake in half, place the filling on, fold a small amount of the middle of the round edge over then fold the cut edges over.  It stays together well enough when putting it onto the baking tray, then once it's been in the oven, it's crisped up a little and stays just fine.

ETA: like so:-

Put the filling in the middle then fold 1, 2 then 3

« Reply #68 on: 07 June, 2015, 12:26:51 am »

:'(  :)

Yeah. I had bacon and cheese oatcakes at Radway Green on the Plains 300 in April, and thought of Alan straightaway.

« Reply #69 on: 24 April, 2016, 05:38:51 pm »
164km into yesterday's ride I found a selling these, the addition of severals of packs to the Carradice very nearly caught me out on the subsequent descent off Biddulph Moor. Hmm.. wonder if this now counts as a utilitarian ride.

Also the shop owner lives in Stockport and told me where to get them in Manc  :thumbsup:

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #70 on: 24 April, 2016, 06:49:49 pm »
Visited Stafford back in March and the 2 shops I went into had sold out - very disappointed :(

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #71 on: 26 April, 2016, 09:55:20 am »
OK.  I'm not going to get around to making oatcakes, so I'll have to get them in from the StupidMarket.  Stokie in pub says Sainsbury's.
Agree?
If not where?

mail order? (I've never tried Poveys' mail order service, but have eaten their oatcakes (bought when in Leek), and found them to be fairly good).
Yes they are in Sainsbury's. With the crumpetty muffiny things, 90p. Had some for breakfast today!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #72 on: 26 April, 2016, 11:10:00 am »
Agree?
If not where?

Yes they are in Sainsbury's. With the crumpetty muffiny things, 90p. Had some for breakfast today!

Stafford Sainsbury's was one of the places 'sold out' :(

« Reply #73 on: 26 April, 2016, 02:27:39 pm »
Windy, I've never used the mail order service but these guys make some of the best in the potteries, made before your eyes in the shop:

http://www.highlaneoatcakes.co.uk/mall/HighLaneOatcakesOnline/

There also doesn't appear to be any extra shipping charges to your part of the world  :thumbsup: Probably worth investing in a bigger freezer and buying 24 packs  :)

« Reply #74 on: 26 April, 2016, 05:50:41 pm »
Slimming back through the thread it looks like we're still waiting on a recipe...