Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 941986 times)

ian

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #9050 on: 31 July, 2020, 09:02:32 pm »
And thusly the weekend. I sense a looming apocalypse. Or it might just be the bulk of a Chunky Baldwin blocking out the sun. I hope he doesn't give me sparkly babies.

I've not had this much fun as the time I watched all the Nic Cage films (I'm told there are new ones, I really want to see the Color Out of Space on account that Cthulhu is Finestre's second cousin twice removed).

« Reply #9051 on: 31 July, 2020, 09:13:32 pm »
Blade runner 20wotsaname. Mmm ok ish.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #9052 on: 31 July, 2020, 10:55:15 pm »
Knives Out.

I really enjoyed that. And when I turned down getting another drink because I thought we were nearly at the end I found we were only an hour it and I was soengrossed the time had flown by  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Well worth a watch and for those that have Amazon Prime it has just become available to watch for 'free'.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #9053 on: 01 August, 2020, 08:04:42 am »
Started watching Babel yesterday, but it was too late, I was too tired adn couldn't keep it straight in what passes for my BRANES so gave up and went to grumble about the temperature in the bedroom
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #9054 on: 01 August, 2020, 10:58:18 am »
I've not had this much fun as the time I watched all the Nic Cage films (I'm told there are new ones, I really want to see the Color Out of Space on account that Cthulhu is Finestre's second cousin twice removed).

I had to check this, because Cthulhu doesn’t appear in the book, but it seems he's made it into the film :thumbsup:  Also, Terrible Things happen to some alpacas.  I'm not sure L.P. Hovercraft would have recognised an alpaca, but he certainly wouldn’t have put one in Arkham.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #9055 on: 01 August, 2020, 08:13:09 pm »
Unhinged.

It was shocking to see how much weight Russell Crowe has put on. Gladiator?  Not these days, pal.
Move Faster and Bake Things

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9056 on: 02 August, 2020, 10:14:23 am »
There are actors who wax and wane as the part demands, but Crowe doesn't look like one of them.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #9057 on: 02 August, 2020, 05:26:18 pm »
Book of Eli (again)  I really like that film

« Reply #9058 on: 02 August, 2020, 05:52:10 pm »
The Bucket List  :'(

ian

« Reply #9059 on: 03 August, 2020, 08:25:54 pm »

I had to check this, because Cthulhu doesn’t appear in the book, but it seems he's made it into the film :thumbsup:  Also, Terrible Things happen to some alpacas.  I'm not sure L.P. Hovercraft would have recognised an alpaca, but he certainly wouldn’t have put one in Arkham.

True enough he doesn't. I used to live in a spooky bit of New England (I put the noise in the Quiet Corner). Never did find Arkham.

Anyway, the movie in question doesn't appear to have turned up on a streaming service near me yet. It's bound to feature Mr Cage going suitably unhinged as only he can as the mysterious happenings take their toll.

ian

« Reply #9060 on: 03 August, 2020, 09:55:08 pm »
More goodness at the weekend. Earthstorm, Chunky Baldwin was back (looking less chunky and less stoned, but terrible, terrible hair). Cynics may have called it a rip-off of Armageddon, but whatever. Asteroid smacks into the moon, oh noes, moon rock is pelting the Earth and the moon itself is losing mass, adjusting its orbit, and threatening to pull itself apart and trounce the Earth. For several milliseconds it came perilously close to science, but then they saved themselves by declaring the best way to stop the moon breaking in half was magnetism.

Anyway, it's catastrophe in the making, and by now you to know how we avert a catastrophe. Say it with me people, say it with me: nuclear bombs. On the Moon. It's always nuclear bombs. But not just plain old nuclear bombs, these were magnetic nuclear bombs. Chunky Baldwin the roughneck demolitions expert willing to turn his hand to a bit of lunar nuclearing. The female lead had entrancing freckles.

Seattle Superstorm. The title really sums it up. The ever-dependably silly US military blasts a UFO that isn't a UFO that is threatening to fall on the Earth. So it falls on the Earth. A chunk of lands in the Seattle harbour, fuming away. Some splendid off-kilter chemistry is invoked (chemistry has got a lot better since my A level, for sure). And Russians. Pesky bickering teenage kids (who all look about 30, but they age differently over there). Global disaster is aversion takes a different track via heavy water. Disappointing lack of nuclear bombs, but you can't have everything. Kids solve their differences (in case you were worrying).

Geo-Disaster. Actually, this one went all out with an apocalyptic checklist. Volcanoes. Check. Earthquakes. Check. Storms. Check. Arguing teenage kids. Check. Mega-twister. Check. Oh, and dark matter. Which pierced the Earth like a bullet causing the aforementioned problems. Other than the kids, who were for once, plausibly teenage enough for you to want to keep clear of Prince Andrew.

I keep finding these movies. They're gloriously addictive. I think 500mph Storm may be next.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9061 on: 04 August, 2020, 12:24:04 am »
I'm kind of sad that I lost interest in cheesy disaster movies when I realised I was living through one, and unfortunately this one doesn't appear to have been written by Russell T Davies[1].  Since I'm far too old to be a bickering teenager, and my freckles fall somewhat short of entrancing, I'm left with being some sort of redshirt-lesbian-hacker-scientist cliche, and we all know what their chances of survival are.  I suppose if there's a submarine I might make it to the second act, but I've been trying to avoid those on account of all the gruesome dismemberment headlines.  Maybe I should get a dog?

[1] Obviously if it were, I'd be busy saving the world with little more than a snarky comment and a yo-yo.

« Reply #9062 on: 04 August, 2020, 07:26:30 am »
I'm kind of sad that I lost interest in cheesy disaster movies when I realised I was living through one, and unfortunately this one doesn't appear to have been written by Russell T Davies[1].  Since I'm far too old to be a bickering teenager, and my freckles fall somewhat short of entrancing, I'm left with being some sort of redshirt-lesbian-hacker-scientist cliche, and we all know what their chances of survival are.  I suppose if there's a submarine I might make it to the second act, but I've been trying to avoid those on account of all the gruesome dismemberment headlines.  Maybe I should get a dog?

[1] Obviously if it were, I'd be busy saving the world with little more than a snarky comment and a yo-yo.

POTD

Erm, have you tried making some snarky comments and swinging a yo-yo? Might be just what we need.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #9063 on: 04 August, 2020, 07:49:43 am »
Darkest Hour.

An enjoyable romp through the beginnings of the Second World War, following Gary Oldman as he squeezed into a Churchill suit. It was interesting that Churchill’s failings were more than hinted at, although not in a way as strong as Black Lives Matter.

As I watched him at the Despatch Box I was minded to think what a nincompoop popinjay we have as Prime Minister today.
It is simpler than it looks.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #9064 on: 04 August, 2020, 08:00:35 am »
Olympus Has Fallen. Basically: Die Hard.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9065 on: 04 August, 2020, 08:30:38 am »
I keep finding these movies. They're gloriously addictive. I think 500mph Storm may be next.

One of J. G. Ballard's disaster novels was called The Wind From Nowhere. It involved a 500 mph wind, but this ain't that. 2.2/10 on Imdb, probably for spelling the title correctly.

« Reply #9066 on: 04 August, 2020, 09:46:28 am »

Isn't that a standard winter breeze on Lewis?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #9067 on: 04 August, 2020, 12:06:01 pm »

POTD

Erm, have you tried making some snarky comments and swinging a yo-yo? Might be just what we need.

Kim is actually Paul Hewitt in disguise?  Who knew?
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #9068 on: 04 August, 2020, 12:13:27 pm »
Knives Out.

I really enjoyed that. And when I turned down getting another drink because I thought we were nearly at the end I found we were only an hour it and I was soengrossed the time had flown by  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Well worth a watch and for those that have Amazon Prime it has just become available to watch for 'free'.

I enjoyed that as well. Not least Daniel Craig's accent.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9069 on: 09 August, 2020, 07:54:22 am »
Gainsbourg (Vie Héroique). Excellent.

fuzzy

« Reply #9070 on: 09 August, 2020, 08:08:07 pm »
Joker.
Phoenix was brilliant.

« Reply #9071 on: 09 August, 2020, 10:13:10 pm »
Being John Malkovich.

Haven't seen it for years. I had remembered it was bonkers. I forgot just how bonkers.

:thumbsup:

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #9072 on: 10 August, 2020, 12:00:05 am »
Joker.
Phoenix was brilliant.

That's up next, although I did go to see it when it came out.  For contrast I re-watched the Chrisopher Nolan Batman films over the last week or so.  I'd forgotten how good Heath Ledger was in the Dark Knight, and how daft the Christian Bale Bat-Voice was.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

ian

« Reply #9073 on: 10 August, 2020, 09:19:16 pm »
My disaster-quest is ongoing (a week's holiday meant we packed in a near-apocalypse every night).

That said, we came close to our match twice. They say you don't really learn kung-fu till you've been spent several years being trained by the ninja monks of a remote inaccessible Nepalese mountain top monestry. Disaster-questing is a bit like that. I learned from watching the works of Nic Cage and reading Dan Brown (sadly, I've still not finished Inferno, but one day, one day...). Basically, I have case-hardened myself. I have to warn you, do not attempt a disaster-quest until you have adequately prepared. The human mind is not simply ready for this level of near-apocalyptically poor acting, scripting and special effects.

Super-Cyclone started well, it stars Ming-Na who everyone should know in the awesome Agent May from Agents of SHIELD. She's a meteorologist, of course, because as explained, if you're approaching an apocalypse then the key people to have on hand are meteorologists or seismologists. And a nuclear bomb, though fortunately this one was solved with sodium iodide nano-flakes. I confess the plot of this one merged in my brain with 500 MPH Storm. They mostly seem to revolve around people being chased around a parking lot in SoCal by a poorly rendered twister. I dunno, maybe leaving the parking lot would have improved matters. More so, given most of the filming was on evidently summer days under of a vault of flawless blue sky. Basically, those killer storms were confined to the parking lot. Also, the film-making belated noted that cyclones aren't a big feature of LA, so had to use radar imagery from Florida. So perhaps the storm had taken time out to go on vacation. Notably, the storm was never where the filming was and was forever minutes from destroying LA despite having already destroyed it. It seemed a bit unsure of itself. Have I destroyed LA yet? Anyone remember?

Ming-Na's main acting face portrayed the desperation of an actor who had recently received a large bill (and not from their agent).

Fire Twister, took an alternative take, because we're bored with weather and meteorologists (as if). So how about a petroleum engineer and some enviro-hippies, along with a conspiration from Big Oil? Hola! Intelligent fuel catches fire and runs amok through LA. They'd saved themselves the issue of dealing with sunny days and made some good use of wildfire footage. Big bomb saves the day!

Meteor Apocalypse was a bit easier on the brain and did what it said. Toxic meteor not only makes big splody holes in things but poisons the world's water supply. It could happen. Or, if you're American, you can simply rely on corrupt politicians and incompetence to do the poisoning of your water supplies for you.

Storm Cell was a Twister-lite, featured a meteorologist and no nuclear bombs. But the 'teenage' step-daughter was OK in the end, which is what you want with errant step-children (really, these movies have it in for the kids, who admittedly mostly seemed to have reached their early 30s of their teenage years). Frankly, giant storms are the only way they win.

I was missing a good old fashioned earthquake after all that weather. I was worried that San Andreas fault had joined the super-cyclone in Florida. Fortunately, it hadn't as San Andreas Quake proved. Anyone know a good seismologist with a laptop and a theory?

Then, well, it had all got a bit mundane with twisters both firey and wet and earthquakes, I wanted a bit more out-of-this-world so Earthtastrophe fitted the bill. What if the Earth fell through a wormhole? It's a big worry of mine for a while, you don't know what those scientists are up to. People are worried about 5G weaponised bats. Shit, priotise people, prioritise. At any moment they could bowl us through a wormhole to some kind of dystopian future where humanity is only clinging on, disasters aplenty. Fortunately, they reverse it with more science. Is science bad? I just don't know. Bonus points for the title and having the perpetually bemused Leo from Charmed in it.

« Reply #9074 on: 10 August, 2020, 09:44:03 pm »
Not quite the going theme Ian but have you seen either Rubber or Wrong?

Because I think we're due a rewatch of both but doubt my review could do them the justice you would. I did really enjoy them though.

Or, it you want a really odd evening try The Thingy: Confessions of a Teenage Placenta. That one was odd enough that I don't think I lost any understanding by falling asleep for the middle twenty minutes. I'll concede I'm not in a rush to rewatch that one mind. There's only so many times one needs to see someone breast feeding a dog! :jurek: