Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639380 times)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #3000 on: 05 February, 2012, 12:53:12 am »
We've got about 3" in Cambridge...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #3001 on: 05 February, 2012, 01:14:02 am »
There's a distinct lack of SNO so far in Mos Eisley Pompey...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #3002 on: 05 February, 2012, 01:49:11 am »

Fnaar, Fnaar!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #3003 on: 05 February, 2012, 02:02:36 am »
I saw a car with snow tyres fitted today. First time ever for me in the UK.

We fitted winter tyres for the first time this year and this is the first time I've driven on them in snow.  They make an incredible difference!

« Reply #3004 on: 05 February, 2012, 04:59:53 am »
It's started again here. Not very hard though. It's about 2 inches deep, I reckon.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #3005 on: 05 February, 2012, 05:02:49 am »
More falling from the skies in sunny  snowy Forest Hill.

« Reply #3006 on: 05 February, 2012, 05:47:43 am »
No Snow here in Saudi, just dust blowing in from the desert.  :-\

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #3007 on: 05 February, 2012, 06:57:19 am »
Well, I've just been out and although there is a fair bit of it lying, already it seems to have become a bit more sleety.  Still pretty. However, I missed the  beautiful, eerie, crystal stillness that usually hangs over all of London, viewed from the top of  Blythe Hill, when it's deep in snow.  The still air held the occasional soft plink plink of sleet falling from branches and melting the snow.
     Now I am coughing, wheezing and spluttering again like an overacting consumptive in a period TV drama. Pooey.

« Reply #3008 on: 05 February, 2012, 07:51:38 am »
All of those people trapped in cars due to the snow (like the stroppy woman who phoned radio 5 live),
why didn't they heed the warnings and stay at home. I know there would have been people making
deliveries, etc, but as with the woman who had a rant on the radio, she was only visiting friends.

The light snow that we had in my part of the "Centre for the Cotswolds" last night has melted.
Temperature is about +2 degrees C at the moment.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3009 on: 05 February, 2012, 08:03:48 am »

It's the cold weather, you know ;)
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3010 on: 05 February, 2012, 08:27:21 am »
Must have been about 6" when I trudged down to the garage just now to retrieve the snow tyres. I was quite surprised - next door's roof looked only to have 2 to 3" on it. It stopped snowing some hours ago, I think.

No sign of a thaw yet.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #3011 on: 05 February, 2012, 08:38:57 am »
I saw a car with snow tyres fitted today. First time ever for me in the UK.

We fitted winter tyres for the first time this year and this is the first time I've driven on them in snow.  They make an incredible difference!

As I don't have a 4x4 this year for the first time in quite a while, I had snow tyres put on the Fiesta.  That plus years of experience driving in Sweden mean I'm actually pretty sensible and skilled.

All of those people trapped in cars due to the snow (like the stroppy woman who phoned radio 5 live),
why didn't they heed the warnings and stay at home. I know there would have been people making
deliveries, etc, but as with the woman who had a rant on the radio, she was only visiting friends.

This.  In spades!  Yes, I went out last night because I was confident I could get home due to the above.  And I would indeed have been absolutely fine had it not been for the amount of other idiots on the roads!  The sports cars, rear wheel drives, people with absolutely no clue.  As soon as there was a bit of a hill, I was stuck because others got stuck.  Yet very few people actually got out and helped push!   :facepalm:

Last night on the first hill, I pushed: two mercs (one heavy sports modified with a dozy bint behind the wheel who couldn't follow simple instruction), one beemer, a jaguar and an alfa romeo (four times...it's a long hill and I was stuck right behind him!).  There were four of us in total pushing all these, yet there was a mile-long queue behind us.   ::-)

The second hill is steeper and I only got out to push one-a Peugeot.  Most had already long stalled or avoided, so after I got him out of the way, I was able to make my way up.  Unfortunately I'd had to stop for him halfway up and nearly couldn't restart as I'd lost momentum, but a bit of judicious rocking and a change of wheel direction and I was on my way.  I gave a poor soul walking from the train station a lift for a couple of miles when I came upon him at the top of the hill.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3012 on: 05 February, 2012, 09:05:02 am »
Just measured the snow depth outside the front door: 6¼".

I've fitted the snow tyres. I'll just have a cup of tea and then I'm going out for a play.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #3013 on: 05 February, 2012, 09:08:39 am »
We were out for dinner with friends last night, and left the car there as we were drinking (I have a bit if a head this morning).  We'll have to walk over later and pick it up - so I'm going to dig out my snow boots.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #3014 on: 05 February, 2012, 09:09:06 am »
About 5 inches here in Ely, but as it was powdery & with swirling winds last night there are some spectacular drifts, particularly hanging from the edges of roofs.

We plan some walking & photography. That's when we can get past the drifts into the shed to get the spade to get past the drifts into the garage to get wellies. There's nothing like planning ahead, and that was nothing like it.  ::-)

« Reply #3015 on: 05 February, 2012, 09:20:00 am »
Well it stopped at around 2" depth here, and it's thawing rapidly now - thankfully as our local "helpful" farmer ploughed the lane at 6am, smoothing out and polishing the nice rough surface - git. Does it everytime it snows, made the lane treacherous last year.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #3016 on: 05 February, 2012, 09:27:42 am »
About 6'' or so here in Kent. No cycling for me today, perhaps a walk is in order.

« Reply #3017 on: 05 February, 2012, 09:30:56 am »
So much for going to Stow on the Wold today. About 2-3" in Milton Keynes.
No snow tyres and the mountain bike has very badly worn wheel bearings, so I'm on foot for now.
Pub bike now dry in my bath after last night. ;D
Hope it all goes before Friday or I'll be catching a train to Bristol instead of cycling there. :(

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #3018 on: 05 February, 2012, 09:32:23 am »
Just over 6" here in Witham.

Cycled home from the station in it last night (with Marathon winters on).  It was fun, although it seemed to bring on some very close overtakes.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #3019 on: 05 February, 2012, 09:43:39 am »
3" here in slough .thawing and soft . hard work on the trice  :)
the slower you go the more you see

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3020 on: 05 February, 2012, 09:54:46 am »
Less than an inch here, now going slushy.  No use to man or beast, really.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3021 on: 05 February, 2012, 09:57:56 am »
About two inches here on the ground (NW London).
Rapidly falling off the trees.
Temperature 1.1-2.4°C in the various outhouses, so unlikely to lie long.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #3022 on: 05 February, 2012, 10:00:43 am »
About the same (unsurprisingly) here in west London

Just have hope the temp doesn't drop too much later, or the melting slush will become lethal for tomorrow

Ah well, gave our younger cat a first taste of snow. He didn't like it too much!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Simonb

« Reply #3023 on: 05 February, 2012, 10:10:10 am »
Loads here in the Far East (Ramsgate) 14-15 cm,  and cold (minus 4 deg C) as we're still inside the cold pool. About to try the CX bike in the snow... :-)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #3024 on: 05 February, 2012, 10:28:55 am »
Snow? What snow? Heavy frost was the best we got.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes