Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639551 times)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #3125 on: 11 February, 2012, 01:40:09 pm »
In Northeast Ohio it is currently -6 with winds at a steady 30kph from the north, and LOTS of SNOW!   It's all looking very pretty (will take some pics) but it could make today's travel 'interesting'.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3126 on: 11 February, 2012, 04:55:30 pm »
The country is upside down. windy is basking in 7C whilst we are 14 degrees lower...
And back to front, with loads of precipitation in the East and not much at all in the West.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #3127 on: 11 February, 2012, 06:15:29 pm »
minus 10c @ ox5 1jt when I trikled home, nice starry night though  8)
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

« Reply #3128 on: 11 February, 2012, 06:15:51 pm »
There is quite a bit of snow up on the top of the mendips today. We almost required helmets to protect us from mini icicles falling from overhanging trees. There was a fantastic blue-white glistening effect in some of the plants up there where the sun was shining through solid ice all over their upper branches. I wished I was a proficient enough stoker to be able to get the phone out to take a picture as we passed. There was a fair amount of ice up there so we had to be a bit careful, especially descending the gorge, our first ever proper decent on the bike  :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3129 on: 11 February, 2012, 06:26:44 pm »
Sounds like you're getting on rather well with the tandem. Perhaps you should take the winter studs off your Pompetamine and put them on the tandem? Then you'd have no worries down the Gorge!

« Reply #3130 on: 11 February, 2012, 06:32:16 pm »
-18 here last night

http://www.chesham1879.co.uk/weather/weather.htm

woke up this morning to find a blocked kitchen sink half full of water. Uh?
[looking at it and thinking]...ah!....must put a new washer on that kitchen tap.
Water from dripping taps can't drain away in those kind of temperatures!
About 5ft of external 40mm waste pipe was frozen solid.
Good job I didn't go away for the weekend or else my neighbour would have been flooded! [eventually, around lunchtime]
Garry Broad

« Reply #3131 on: 11 February, 2012, 07:08:20 pm »
Car recorded -160C at 9am as Mrs WJ was going to work, and -120C at 5.45pm on the way home.  :o

Looks as if I lost all my tender plants in the greenhouse.  >:(
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3132 on: 11 February, 2012, 07:11:47 pm »
Car recorded -160C at 9am as Mrs WJ was going to work, and -120C at 5.45pm on the way home.  :o

Crikey Penfold!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #3133 on: 11 February, 2012, 07:15:57 pm »
-18 here last night

woke up this morning to find a blocked kitchen sink half full of water. Uh?
[looking at it and thinking]...ah!....must put a new washer on that kitchen tap.
Water from dripping taps can't drain away in those kind of temperatures!
About 5ft of external 40mm waste pipe was frozen solid.
Good job I didn't go away for the weekend or else my neighbour would have been flooded! [eventually, around lunchtime]

Is that anything to do with the famous frost hollow caused by the railway embankment?

« Reply #3134 on: 11 February, 2012, 07:23:39 pm »
No snow in Liverpool, the temperature is hovering just above freezing. I was out for a brief spin before and there is a good layer of ice on Princess Park lake.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Chris S

« Reply #3135 on: 11 February, 2012, 07:26:57 pm »
-9 on the car display passing Cambridge, on the way over to Bedford earlier. It had better warm up before tomorrows 200!

« Reply #3136 on: 11 February, 2012, 07:39:56 pm »
-18 here last night

Is that anything to do with the famous frost hollow caused by the railway embankment?

Frost hollow? most definitely yes, but due to the railway embankment? no. You might be thinking of Rickmansworth, about 7 miles away, a couple of stops down the line.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rickmansworth
"Rickmansworth also has a famous frost hollow. This is caused by the local geography, notably a railway embankment which prevents the natural drainage of cold air from a specific part of the valley. Rickmansworth recorded the largest daily temperature range in England when, on 29 August 1936, the temperature climbed from 1.1°C at dawn to 24.9°C within 9 hours due to this unique geographic feature."

The temperature data is from a private weather station, situated just about here
Garry Broad

« Reply #3137 on: 11 February, 2012, 07:42:40 pm »
-9 on the car display passing Cambridge, on the way over to Bedford earlier. It had better warm up before tomorrows 200!

That's 200 yards you talking about there, right Chris?
Garry Broad

« Reply #3138 on: 11 February, 2012, 08:10:32 pm »

Crikey Penfold!

Our cycle club is running it's 'Hardriders' 25 mile time trial tomorrw  ::-)

They make 'em tough in the Fens.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Chris S

« Reply #3139 on: 11 February, 2012, 08:23:34 pm »

That's 200 yards you talking about there, right Chris?

It may yet turn out that way!

« Reply #3140 on: 11 February, 2012, 10:53:02 pm »
Well I'm intending to do the Dickens Ride in London tomorrow, which I'll cycle to from Croydon.  That means I'll probably only do forty miles or so, but the forecast -3°C doesn't even vaguely worry me, although there's a risk that the relatively slow ride could be a bit brisk, because we probably won't be moving fast enough to keep ourselves very warm.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3141 on: 11 February, 2012, 10:55:48 pm »
The slow ride could be brisk!  ;D

« Reply #3142 on: 11 February, 2012, 11:44:21 pm »
Well, I'd guess if people get too cold (and I seem to be more tolerant of these sort of conditions than most people) then I suspect the ride will either be abandoned, or will end up with more stops for tea, coffee, and heating!
Actually, it is rocket science.

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #3143 on: 12 February, 2012, 08:37:01 am »
It's snowing steadily in mid-Kent. This wasn't supposed to happen - bugger!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3144 on: 12 February, 2012, 10:17:24 am »
The met office forecast it. They are also forecasting it for Southend and Basildon.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #3145 on: 12 February, 2012, 12:03:23 pm »
Gently raining now in North Kent. Yay!
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #3146 on: 12 February, 2012, 01:43:21 pm »
I reckon that's the worst over for us, around 5C here and a slow thaw. Overcast but dry. Not forecast to go below 0 for the next few days (mind you, it wasn't forecast to get to -11C on Friday either!)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #3147 on: 12 February, 2012, 01:45:38 pm »
Warming up in OX5 1JT, up to  minus 5 on way home this morning, strange, but with it being so cold the stars are not twinkling as brightly as you would think
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

border-rider

« Reply #3148 on: 12 February, 2012, 01:50:28 pm »
It's sunny here, and quite warm. No sign of any snow whatsoever. Yesterday was cold & clear & icy.

« Reply #3149 on: 12 February, 2012, 03:10:39 pm »
-18 here last night

Frost hollow? most definitely yes, but due to the railway embankment? no. You might be thinking of Rickmansworth, about 7 miles away, a couple of stops down the line.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rickmansworth
"Rickmansworth also has a famous frost hollow. This is caused by the local geography, notably a railway embankment which prevents the natural drainage of cold air from a specific part of the valley. Rickmansworth recorded the largest daily temperature range in England when, on 29 August 1936, the temperature climbed from 1.1°C at dawn to 24.9°C within 9 hours due to this unique geographic feature."

The temperature data is from a private weather station, situated just about here

I'm getting Chesham mixed up with Chorleywood, it all those settlements beginning with CH round there, I blame the Chalfonts.

From 'The English Climate' by H.H. Lamb

'Among the foothills of the Chiltern Hills between Rickmansworth and
Chorleywood, Herts, is a residential district in a little valley 177 feet
above sea level, with the surrounding hills a hundred feet higher. This is
our best studied frost hollow. The valley runs east-southeast, but turns at
right angles towards south-southwest just below the point where E.L Hawke*
maintained a meteorological station from 1930 to 1942. About 300 yards below
the bend it is partly blocked by a high railway embankment.'

* Hawke, E.L 'Extreme Diurnal Ranges of Air Temperature in the British
Isles', Quarterly Journal of the Royal Met Soc Vol 59,pp. 261-265, 1933,
and...'Thermal Characteristics of a Hertfordshire Frost Hollow', ibid., Vol
70, pp.23-48, 1944