Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639385 times)

Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #3225 on: 04 April, 2012, 11:37:43 am »
Snow in April is perfectly normal - I've got photographic evidence of several inches of snow in Mos Eisley spaceport Portsmouth on April 6th, 2008, it's been known to snow at the later end of April and it's not unheard of for the occasional flurry to occur in May!

The only reason that we are acting all surprised about this latest bout of snowy weather is because we have been fooled by an unseasonably warm and dry March.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #3226 on: 04 April, 2012, 11:42:08 am »
Snow in April is perfectly normal - I've got photographic evidence of several inches of snow in Mos Eisley spaceport Portsmouth on April 6th, 2008, it's been known to snow at the later end of April and it's not unheard of for the occasional flurry to occur in May!

The only reason that we are acting all surprised about this latest bout of snowy weather is because we have been fooled by an unseasonably warm and dry March.

Indeed. I can recall a brief flurry of snow on the Kent weald on a June day albeit some 35 years ago.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #3227 on: 04 April, 2012, 11:44:29 am »
Yeah. I remember snow in April 1998, for example. Wet & slushy on the way to work.  >:(

And it settled (briefly) in the Chilterns at the beginning of June 1974. I woke up early & freezing, got out of bed to close the window, & saw the hills white in the dawn from 5 miles away. Woke again when the alarm went off, & thought "Was that a dream?". No sign of snow by then: cold, but sun shining bright. Switched on the radio while getting ready for school, & the Beeb was reporting snowfalls on high ground in southern England. There were pictures.

Maybe that was your "about some 35 years ago".
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3228 on: 04 April, 2012, 12:23:46 pm »

« Reply #3229 on: 04 April, 2012, 12:32:44 pm »
June 2nd 1975

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/media/pdf/i/1/Snow_in_June_-_2_June_1975.pdf

Snowed heavily in Norwich for a while. I remember looking out of the flat window and watching vehicles failing to get up Grapes Hill ;D
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

LindaG

« Reply #3230 on: 04 April, 2012, 12:37:14 pm »
It snowed (horizontally) in Toytown last night, but there's none left this morning.  But I just watched my greenhouse cartwheeling past the window.

With my seedlings :( in it. 

I'm not riding my bike in that, even if the sun is shining.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3231 on: 04 April, 2012, 12:55:42 pm »
June 2nd 1975

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/media/pdf/i/1/Snow_in_June_-_2_June_1975.pdf

Snowed heavily in Norwich for a while. I remember looking out of the flat window and watching vehicles failing to get up Grapes Hill ;D
Several county cricket matches were abandoned due to snow,
This is reported before the gale force winds in Scotland! A very English forecast, in many ways.

A week's difference
Nevertheless, it was quite sunny - though not particularly warm - here yesterday, till about 3pm anyway.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #3232 on: 04 April, 2012, 01:08:51 pm »
I see some snow has made it far enough south that it has become newsworthy...southerrn twatty meedya cnuts!   >:(

« Reply #3233 on: 04 April, 2012, 01:34:36 pm »

Several county cricket matches were abandoned due to snow,
This is reported before the gale force winds in Scotland! A very English forecast, in many ways.

Indeed.
But that's how it was in those days. If it didn't happen in London or the Home Counties it wasn't news.

Be grateful that things have changed, if only by a little.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #3234 on: 04 April, 2012, 01:39:38 pm »
Snowed horazontally last night here (including straight at my face in a glae all the wayu home yesterday but nothing settled on the floor below about 250m (lower than a lot this year as Dent had snow a third of the way down).

The wind has redistributed the local wheeliebins (though mine was fine anchored to the wall with a bungee) and lots of leaves seem to have been blown off, but I haven't seen any flying greenhouses LG.

Now theres bright sunshine and the wind is dropping 8)

Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Chris S

« Reply #3235 on: 04 April, 2012, 02:23:53 pm »
I see some snow has made it far enough south that it has become newsworthy...southerrn twatty meedya cnuts!   >:(

I remember thinking a similar thing in reverse last week, when the killer heatwave struck The North.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3236 on: 04 April, 2012, 02:24:30 pm »

Channel 4 News had a reporter in Aboyne yesterday.

« Reply #3237 on: 04 April, 2012, 06:44:44 pm »
Skiing was had at Yad Moss today, I was working planting trees in open mossland at sea-level, and that was bad enough, God knows what it was like at 2,000 feet.
Picture at 4.30 pm.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3238 on: 15 April, 2012, 10:52:09 am »
Snowing in furryboottoon just now  ::-)

« Reply #3239 on: 15 April, 2012, 11:16:22 am »
There was a just discernible dusting of snow on the Carneddau yesterday afternoon, and very cold rain on my side of the Glyderau. I got home just as it started!

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #3240 on: 15 April, 2012, 09:53:04 pm »
A flurry at the road race today, just as I was saying hello to Noodley ..

dissapeared leaving sunny dry roads with a cold north wind.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #3241 on: 15 April, 2012, 10:15:41 pm »
There was some spectacular thunderstorms in Cardiff on Thursday afternoon. I went for a spin on Friday lunchtime towards Newport and there was "snow" in the verges. It was actually hail of course, but imagine how much hail must have fallen for it look like snow almost 24 hours later on a sunny day.

Chris S

« Reply #3242 on: 16 April, 2012, 09:21:16 am »
There was some spectacular thunderstorms in Cardiff on Thursday afternoon. I went for a spin on Friday lunchtime towards Newport and there was "snow" in the verges. It was actually hail of course, but imagine how much hail must have fallen for it look like snow almost 24 hours later on a sunny day.

I've seen that kind of thing once before - I even remarked about it somewhere else: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=20230.msg362505#msg362505

Not something I'd want to get caught cycling in...  :-\

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3243 on: 24 April, 2012, 08:21:18 pm »
(Not strictly snow-related, but contains hail:)

Look, I know April is known for showers, but this is getting silly. Admittedly, it's not raining all the time, but I've never known so many consecutive days of on-off, sporadic rather vicious showery weather.

Good luck to you commuters out there  ;D
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #3244 on: 24 April, 2012, 08:34:23 pm »
We just had a weeks hols  :facepalm:
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3245 on: 17 October, 2012, 02:06:08 pm »
WTF?

It's 15C and sunny here.  With a very light flurry of snow!?!

First of the year?

« Reply #3246 on: 17 October, 2012, 02:13:39 pm »
I do wish I could hibernate   :facepalm:
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

« Reply #3247 on: 17 October, 2012, 02:14:08 pm »
WTF?

First of the year?
Seriously?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3248 on: 17 October, 2012, 02:18:07 pm »
Just a little flurry of dandruff.  Stopped after a couple of minutes, and didn't settle or anything.

« Reply #3249 on: 17 October, 2012, 02:18:57 pm »
WTF?

First of the year?

The student theatre group hasn't got its hands on a snow machine has it?

You can't blame pebble mill any more though