Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639607 times)

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #3475 on: 18 January, 2013, 09:12:36 am »
Hah. It's Steep I was hoping to get to! My children are at school there and I'm scheduled to bring them home tomorrow. I'd been thinking of nipping up and collecting them this morning and beating the snow - seems I missed the window. Here's hoping things get better rather than worse over the next 24 hours.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #3476 on: 18 January, 2013, 09:13:46 am »
Snow has reached sunny Brittany!
Chief cat entertainer.

RainOrShine

« Reply #3477 on: 18 January, 2013, 09:14:57 am »
A good three inches here near Bath.  I kind of think the snow is directed especially at me, since my Cyclescheme voucher arrived yesterday afternoon!  ::-)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3478 on: 18 January, 2013, 09:17:45 am »
We've got nearly 4 inches. Although it is all tiny flakes falling now and looks warmer.

I'm off to take photos.
It is simpler than it looks.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #3479 on: 18 January, 2013, 09:20:39 am »
Still nothing at all here in CA20. In fact there is blue sky directly outside my office window.

Wind is howling round the site with some anger though.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #3480 on: 18 January, 2013, 09:21:17 am »
Warwick had a light dusting overnight, but it's coming down a lot faster now & the wind is whipping it up. The walk to school was not fun. The bin men have made it!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3481 on: 18 January, 2013, 09:31:26 am »
An uneasy sense of foreboding hangs over Southend...
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #3482 on: 18 January, 2013, 09:39:13 am »
Left home - no snow.
Got to station (500m) - snowing gently - train has just left running bang on time  :facepalm:
Go back home, find skull cap for under helmet and make lunch - snow heavier but still gentle
Go back to station for later train - it is delayed
Get to work - steady snow settling but roads clear.

I have the bike as a backup to the trains home and a pannier with the hiking boots as a back up to the bike.

« Reply #3483 on: 18 January, 2013, 09:49:54 am »
Patchy on the Herts/Bucks borders it seems. Here in HEmel it's snowing very fine flakes, has been for an hour but you can still see the colour of the cars.  15 miles North near Tring my wife tells ne there's an inch or so, and you can't tell the colour of her car.  Got a conference call at 10:30, so got to deicde soon if to bail for home or take it here.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #3484 on: 18 January, 2013, 09:53:30 am »
tell me about it, 8 to 9 inches and growing deeper by the hour, oh well I suppose the met office got this one right:)

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #3485 on: 18 January, 2013, 09:58:20 am »
Hah. It's Steep I was hoping to get to! My children are at school there and I'm scheduled to bring them home tomorrow. I'd been thinking of nipping up and collecting them this morning and beating the snow - seems I missed the window. Here's hoping things get better rather than worse over the next 24 hours.

I think tomorrow afternoon might be O.K., as long as it melts off the roads, 'cos they won't be ploughing the little local roads.  I'm wary of tomorrow morning, as some of it may then be ice... ice on snow or snow over ice, is not good.
Wombat

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #3486 on: 18 January, 2013, 09:58:32 am »
We have had a brief flurry with about 1/4 inch on the pavement (or just enough to make it white in metric)

More due later.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #3487 on: 18 January, 2013, 10:00:30 am »
Coming down steadily in Reading, & settling. Everything's covered thinly so far. Fine & powdery, rather than big fluffy flakes.

Went outside to uncover the fat-soaked bread I put down yesterday, & disturbed a blackbird with its feathers fluffed up, which had found it (or remembered its location) despite the covering of snow.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3488 on: 18 January, 2013, 10:00:47 am »
Sno has arrived in Londonton.  Nobbut a flake or two while I was riding in, but now it's settling fast.
Getting there...

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #3489 on: 18 January, 2013, 10:06:19 am »
NW London checking in.  It's coming down sideways!
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #3490 on: 18 January, 2013, 10:15:36 am »
We have a couple of inches here now. The commuters that usually use our road as a car park have obviously all taken the day off - it's lovely and quiet. I don't blame them as I assume they park here for the station and southern don't play with their train set if it's bad weather.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

It's snowing!
« Reply #3491 on: 18 January, 2013, 10:16:20 am »
It's been snowing here from about 5.00pm yesterday and its still only 3 inches deep. I've just been out to feed the birds and give them some fresh water and they've filled the garden, so I'm off to make a coffee and then I'm going to sit and watch them for an hour. There's not much else to do!
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #3492 on: 18 January, 2013, 10:21:06 am »
Snow has just started to fall here.

Time for some MTB mayhem!  :D
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #3493 on: 18 January, 2013, 10:32:10 am »
Mrs B may come home early. Her school visit this morning is to a place not too far from the M4, so she has an easy route home. Some of 'em are in villages in the Chilterns.

This snow is ideally made for drifting. I just saw some blowing off a roof where it had settled. Down, sideways - sometimes up.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3494 on: 18 January, 2013, 10:39:48 am »
Quite slippery outside here.  Will be better if the snow gets thicker.  We've swept a way out of the car park for the doctors to go on visits.
Getting there...

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #3495 on: 18 January, 2013, 10:40:23 am »
It's snowing fairly steadily in the City and I think that many have taken the opportunity to 'work from home' or should that be 'work' from home. It's pretty quiet so I'm going out for an early run. I may be gone some time.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3496 on: 18 January, 2013, 10:43:10 am »
It's been going for about half an hour in Harlot.  Small powdery flakes but it does seem to be settling.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

essexian

« Reply #3497 on: 18 January, 2013, 10:44:29 am »
101 schools closed or closing in Staffordshire today due to the weather. A lot due to "risk assessments" and "transport difficulities."

Back in my day we would have been sent out to do cross country running down to Tottenham Locks and back in this weather while Mr Davies sat in his office by the fire. He always said that he would be checking up on us to make sure we didn't take any short cuts: he never did but we didn't know that! ................... don't know they are born today.  ;D

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #3498 on: 18 January, 2013, 10:46:20 am »
We've got nearly 4 inches.
Only you would brag about such a miniscule amount.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #3499 on: 18 January, 2013, 11:23:53 am »
We've got nearly 4 inches.
Only you would brag about such a miniscule amount.

Spelling!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.