Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639518 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #3500 on: 18 January, 2013, 11:32:32 am »
Warm and damp last night, a few inches of snow this morning. School's closed so we've made a snowmandwarf and had a snowball fight all along the street.

Earlier, I think in another thread, I was a bit moany (with lots of others) about schools closing for snow, but now - I'm glad. School attendance seems to be taken more seriously than when I was primary-age, and it's rare for kids to get a day off when they play in the street with no (or at least very few) cars driving - at least that's how our street is, and it seems very popular today.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #3501 on: 18 January, 2013, 11:36:03 am »
Small powdery flakes settling in north London.

*Looks in fridge for carrots*
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #3502 on: 18 January, 2013, 11:39:37 am »
We walked to the shops to buy chocolate digestives. The route to the shops includes this snopocalyptic scene:

It's all a bit The World in Winter for us denizens of the southern beaches.

It's still falling - although thinner. Unless the roads really clear, I'm abandoning my children and will stay tucked up at home all weekend.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #3503 on: 18 January, 2013, 11:51:53 am »
An uneasy sense of foreboding hangs over Southend...

Ah… was it ever thus.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Riggers

« Reply #3504 on: 18 January, 2013, 11:54:37 am »
Still coming down in Brighton. Wind driven too, which dun'arf stings the eyeballs!!!

Oi've been on me bike I should add.

« Reply #3505 on: 18 January, 2013, 11:59:58 am »
Office emptying rapidly as the A329(M) behind slows to a single lane crawl. Work emailed home and I am now going to change and leave. Rideing home is the backup if the trains fail. The Timetable is now only an approximate suggestion.

Riggers

« Reply #3506 on: 18 January, 2013, 12:01:06 pm »
Good luck soldier!

« Reply #3507 on: 18 January, 2013, 12:03:58 pm »
Office emptying rapidly as the A329(M) behind slows to a single lane crawl. Work emailed home and I am now going to change and leave. Rideing home is the backup if the trains fail. The Timetable is now only an approximate suggestion.

Good luck matthew!

« Reply #3508 on: 18 January, 2013, 12:19:16 pm »
10cm and counting here in Warwick. The schools have closed and I've walked miles in it to and from school and a meeting. The Drizabone coat and hat got an outing as did the Aldi boot overshoes. Very effective too.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #3509 on: 18 January, 2013, 12:22:48 pm »
We have about 3 inches. My golden stemmed bamboo has bowed to the ground with the weight (it's about 15 foot high normally!).
My dogs are delighted. My daughter even more so that her school is closed except for the poor A level students who have an exam. The head slept in the school last night to make sure he could be there to open the doors for them and invigilate.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #3510 on: 18 January, 2013, 12:24:09 pm »
Snow has just started to fall here.

Time for some MTB mayhem!  :D

Nothing here in Witham.  Strangely I gather it's snowing Colchester so we are surrounded by snow but none here.

Riggers

« Reply #3511 on: 18 January, 2013, 12:32:43 pm »
I'd like to say we've got a good 6 inches in Brighton!

But no,  :( we haven't … yet. Still snowing. Big flakes now.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3512 on: 18 January, 2013, 12:33:31 pm »
It's virtually stopped in Harlot now - barely visible to the naked eye.  This has, however, not stopped most of thw jbexforce from buggering off.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #3513 on: 18 January, 2013, 12:36:30 pm »
It has all gone crazy here there is no movement in my road we had a bus went through at 6am, but that was it, kids never went to school, and the gas service engineer will not come out (OK it is only a service) and we have only two inches of snow, God help us if we had three inches

It's snowing!
« Reply #3514 on: 18 January, 2013, 12:48:04 pm »
I've got eight inches!  Oooeerrrr!!

It's about 20 in the drifts, I may need to let some air out of my tyres for tonight's ride.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #3515 on: 18 January, 2013, 01:11:26 pm »
Only contractors are left in the office here. Even staff within walking distance have pissed off - amazing how being paid by the hour alters ones perception!) Maybe 5cm of very powdery snow (probably drifting to 15cm in places), but roads all clear of snow (if not of traffic).
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #3516 on: 18 January, 2013, 01:14:17 pm »
Stopped here for now, our road is blocked due to drifting and I can't start the tractor, come in for a cuppa and a warm in front of the fire,
not sure how deep it is, a bit variable seems to range from a couple of inches to 6 foot where it's drifted, 
I don't think we have any more forecast ?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3517 on: 18 January, 2013, 01:34:49 pm »
Warm and damp last night, a few inches of snow this morning. School's closed so we've made a snowmandwarf and had a snowball fight all along the street.

Earlier, I think in another thread, I was a bit moany (with lots of others) about schools closing for snow, but now - I'm glad. School attendance seems to be taken more seriously than when I was primary-age, and it's rare for kids to get a day off when they play in the street with no (or at least very few) cars driving - at least that's how our street is, and it seems very popular today.
Though I do wonder what "normal" families - where both parents have going-out-to-work jobs - do?

Should add I've seen a few brave bods out on mountain bikes and even one on a road bike - though he was down on the main road, where traffic is moving fairly normally, not on our hill. And though it's warmer than the last few days, the only person in shorts is the postman.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #3518 on: 18 January, 2013, 01:49:21 pm »
ooopps! look like I spoke a bit too soon,

« Reply #3519 on: 18 January, 2013, 02:08:41 pm »
It looks like Round 2 of the larger flake snowfall has begun in Mos Eisley Spaceport Pompey...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #3520 on: 18 January, 2013, 02:14:05 pm »
For the record - still no sno in West Cumbria :(
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3521 on: 18 January, 2013, 02:14:56 pm »

That's  4x4 up there, crashed through the wall. Someone said it had pushed this lower one through the wall.

more photos on the have you been out with your camera thread.
It is simpler than it looks.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3522 on: 18 January, 2013, 02:19:46 pm »
It would appear that, rather than come in from the West, as predicted by the forecast last night, our snow clouds are coming up from the South and East.

Leaden skies now, temp dropping like a stone, just about to go and light the fire in the front room.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #3523 on: 18 January, 2013, 02:32:10 pm »
Agreed. I was certainly striding into an easterly this morning and wondered what the weathermen were playing at with their westerlies.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #3524 on: 18 January, 2013, 02:35:57 pm »
The snow is falling on a meeting of a cold easterly airflow and a wet Westerly low pressure system. The debate was about where the two would settle out at. In my case it's about 5 miles off the coast in the Irish Sea, meaning we have had not snow, but the Isle of Man looks to have been getting a lot of the stuff.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!