Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639935 times)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #3550 on: 18 January, 2013, 05:44:33 pm »
I can recommend using snow stud tyres for warding off the white stuff. Mine are now in their third winter and I'm not sure they've ever been used in sno.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #3551 on: 18 January, 2013, 06:23:46 pm »
Just been on a mission to panic-buy chocolate.

The Marathon Winters finally justified themselves.

;D ;D ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3552 on: 18 January, 2013, 06:43:00 pm »
I saw two BSOists riding on the (ungritted, snow-packed) pavements, one with carrier bags on handlebars.  I know BSO tyres can be surprisingly grippy, but that's still hardcore.   :o
If you're a BSOist, you're probably riding from necessity not enthusiasm, so greater incentive to get to your destination.

Indeed.  These were studenty types who had presumably ridden in to uni first thing, before the main snowfall.

It's both amusing and sad that they think it's sensible to ride on the pavements in these conditions.  Not to mention hazardous to pedestrians.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3553 on: 18 January, 2013, 07:05:56 pm »

That's  4x4 up there, crashed through the wall. Someone said it had pushed this lower one through the wall.

more photos on the have you been out with your camera thread.

and in a glorious doubleposting fester

00:45 on the news report on this page.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21073460
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #3554 on: 18 January, 2013, 07:18:19 pm »
It has now stopped snowing in London's famous London.  Chiz.

same here too.  Not even enough to cover the garden path. Boo.
There's a lot more in Reading. I measured 10cm deep snow on top of the wheelie bins (selected as not likely to be boosted by drifting) at lunchtime. No melting since, & a very thin sprinkling of new stuff.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #3555 on: 18 January, 2013, 07:20:49 pm »
I worked from home today, so work shutting didn't really affect me. I gather buses weren't running at that point though.
The kids school shut at 1 though, so I didn't get that much work done. There isn't that much snow, but enough to slide a sledge on and enough to delay my Friday night shopping trip.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #3556 on: 18 January, 2013, 07:21:41 pm »
Nice work Jaded.

Such a Damn Shame that people don't drive slow enough. I've always considered a shunt to be an acceptable accident in icy conditions, because as I discovered shortly after I passed my test... It is entirely possible to shunt your parents garage door at 2mph or so if there is enough ice. Having a Proper Crash can only mean driving too fast.

P.s. both the car and the garage survived the comedy shunt with nothing more damaged than my pride, which was badly damaged!
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3557 on: 18 January, 2013, 07:22:57 pm »
There's about 8cm of SNO here.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3558 on: 18 January, 2013, 07:30:02 pm »
We haven't even got any proper clouds, let alone any snow. To add insult to injury, the temperature has crept above freezing.

I'm off out on my bike in a minute.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #3559 on: 18 January, 2013, 07:35:56 pm »
about 8cm here in slough. going up over the railway bridge at slough station i snapped the chain  ::-)fixing in in the snow was interesting as my fingers were getting a little chilled :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #3560 on: 18 January, 2013, 07:53:22 pm »
Hardly the Snopocalypse I was expecting, maybe a cm on the untreated roads.

The pissweasel who decided to squezze past me on a steepish down hill when I was virtually in the middle of the road due to potholes and ice and slushy bits can go and die in a fire though. All of ten seconds it would have taken to let me get down the hill onto the flat wider bit of road.

I undertand it a bit more if putting me in danger would have saved them 20 minutes or something but for the sake of a few seconds patience  :facepalm:
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3561 on: 18 January, 2013, 07:56:29 pm »
It has actually started snowing. The temperature is above freezing.

« Reply #3562 on: 18 January, 2013, 07:58:51 pm »
BiL collected my Niece  from school and his sister from work after lunch today. Driving back they were overtaken by a bloke in his fifties and in a hurry. Unfortunately the next vehicle in front chose to stop at the roundabout despite there being no one coming and he couldn't stop.

BiL said he had never fist pumped at witnessing an accident before but has now  :D

« Reply #3563 on: 18 January, 2013, 08:13:13 pm »
Forced out in the car at lunchtime by a full diary and rapidly approaching MOT/tax deadlines. Saw enough low-friction stupidity to sincerely hope I won't need to do any more 2- or 4-wheeled journeying until tarmac is sighted again.

Saw a speedy cyclist land a jump off the pavement at a junction ...before totally wiping out in my peripheral vision.

Followed up by another cyclist coming towards me on the wrong side of the road, forcing me to swerve off to the side to avoid hitting him. He waved his appreciation. Twice. A tiny part of me respects his one-handed ice-biking skillz, however...

« Reply #3564 on: 18 January, 2013, 08:17:16 pm »
First time I've dug one of the MTBs out since April!

I like maps me

« Reply #3565 on: 18 January, 2013, 08:19:12 pm »
Since the snow fell, a bollard has been taken out on a side road near here. It was bashed by someone coming the wrong way, that is, it's on the right hand side for the direction of travel of the vehicle that hit it. The main road is clear: well-gritted & lots of traffic to melt the snow. Turn off it, & you immediately hit ungritted roads with just enough traffic to compact the snow into ice, which this afternoon had a nice wet slippery surface.

I didn't see it happen, but I don't need to. Someone coming along the nice clear main road turns left across the bus lane into the side road, & too late, realises that he's going too fast & is sliding across the road while still moving forward . . . .  He might even have braked, & made it worse.  :facepalm:
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #3566 on: 18 January, 2013, 08:22:08 pm »
Its -2C here at the moment and still intermittently snowing. I haven't ventured out on the ice tyres yet, but plan to try it tomorrow :thumbsup:
I did get to try out the rubber straps with metal studs I had bought to wear over boots/wellies though, and they worked extremely well on a walk around Cheddar reservoir earlier. They are like Schwalbe ice tyres only for my feet  ;D

« Reply #3567 on: 18 January, 2013, 08:29:58 pm »
Little Dinamo ( 3 1/2 yo ) & myself made our first snowman together today.

Happy days  :thumbsup:

« Reply #3568 on: 18 January, 2013, 08:47:08 pm »
I fell of a sledge for the first time !!

Shame I had a 5 year old on my lap  :facepalm:

LindaG

« Reply #3569 on: 18 January, 2013, 11:41:21 pm »
Just got back from a couple of hours walking in the woods with Crusty. By the time we got round the loop our footprints were buried. About three inches here.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #3570 on: 18 January, 2013, 11:46:27 pm »
Drove (sorry!) up to the observatory. There were cars 'parked' at various points where they had given up trying to get up the hill. It meant I had the car park to myself at the top. There is a reason we have winter tyres on the car in winter.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #3571 on: 19 January, 2013, 10:18:04 am »
I fell of a sledge for the first time !!

Shame I had a 5 year old on my lap  :facepalm:
5 year olds fall off sledges all the time, usually with no lasting ill effects.

rr

« Reply #3572 on: 19 January, 2013, 12:28:44 pm »
After all the sno panic, sainsburys stripped bare by 5pm. Cleaners not coming to the office etc you can still see the grass outside and there isn't enough to make a snow man.
Chelmsford does make it into the Britains coldest list.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3573 on: 19 January, 2013, 12:39:55 pm »
It's melting a bit here.  Roads are fine once you get near Swindon, and even in the village cars seem to be moving about as normal, just slower.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3574 on: 19 January, 2013, 12:42:09 pm »
The temperature is stable at 1°C and what little snow that fell yesterday has mostly gone.

I understand that tomorrow is supposed to bring us a significant fall though. Mind you, I thought that about last night/today. I'll believe it when I see it.