Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639415 times)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #3625 on: 21 January, 2013, 11:39:35 am »
I've just looked up our local schools and the Primary (on the hill) is open but West Lakes 'Academy' just down the road and not on the hill is shut to all except exam students?

I rode passed WLA this morning and the roads were completely gritted and clear of snow ???
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #3626 on: 21 January, 2013, 11:46:15 am »
Here in the sunny south we have a beautiful day 5.8c

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3627 on: 21 January, 2013, 11:51:21 am »
A quick summary of the weather here.

It snows
Then it stops
Snow melts, a bit
Then it snows again.
Repeat ad nauseum.

Tomorrow will be interesting, driving wise if the temp drops overnight.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #3628 on: 21 January, 2013, 11:59:36 am »
Every school in Kirklees is shut so it must be badder than the baddest snow ever.
My mum says it's nowhere near the baddest snow ever and she can't understand why there's chaos this year. Also, she just walked into Milnsbridge and was overtaken by a man on skis.

No sign of us getting sent home from work, boo hiss.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3629 on: 21 January, 2013, 12:02:16 pm »
Our busy hill is clear while the little hill that runs parallel to it was occupied by sledgers yesterday.  :thumbsup:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #3630 on: 21 January, 2013, 12:31:23 pm »
The diesel in the removal van 'froze' into a jelly.
I drove to England with a class of Swedish mature students in 1991. We were in a minibus & saw an by one of the big petrolco's boasting that their diesel was guaranteed to be useable at -15C. The Swedes had a chuckle, as their diesel had to work at <-30C...

I laughed when I first saw them using these to get around in the north, but they were really useful.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3631 on: 21 January, 2013, 01:49:41 pm »
It's snowing quite a bit here.

In Val d'Isere though, so no apocalypse required. Somebody just drove a Porsche past the window - keen.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #3632 on: 21 January, 2013, 04:33:40 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01q9d86/Winterwatch_1963_The_Big_Freeze/  Before you start complaining about snow, have a look at what we had to put up with in 1963...  :P

Ah 1963, North Wales on a motor bike and side car, the joys of running my hands under a cold tap and feeling they were burning, in flames, one feels truly alive, pain like that would have woken the dead.

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #3633 on: 21 January, 2013, 04:38:02 pm »
Some of the footpaths and cyclepaths on the way to school had been cleared!  The council have a dinky pavement snowplough, and look to have been using it  :thumbsup:

tiermat

« Reply #3634 on: 21 January, 2013, 04:40:12 pm »
Some of the footpaths and cyclepaths on the way to school had been cleared!  The council have a dinky pavement snowplough, and look to have been using it  :thumbsup:

They could do with heading north a bit! ours are still slippy and messy!

Having said that in 2009 and 2010 when we had all that snow (most of which we missed in 2010 due to being elsewhere), they broke out the quad bike path clearer, which I thought was really cool.  Basically a small snow plough and gritter mounted on a quad bike, one man can clear loads of paths in no time.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #3635 on: 21 January, 2013, 05:21:13 pm »
Fabulous bit of kit, the man hours it must save leaves no excuse for dodgy paths/streets, mind there are plenty in the prisons could be chained and used to deal with this but ah, they have rights which unfortunately they didn't realise others they robbed etc had.
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

« Reply #3636 on: 21 January, 2013, 05:57:27 pm »
Coming home today after the weekend away, most of the roads I was on had been ploughed and gritted.  The one that wasn't seemed to have been scraped clear of snow;  one of the local farmers using a rough terrain lift with a bucket on the telescopic boom seemed most likely.

So I wasn't surprised when I cam up behind it.  Trouble was, it wasn't on the road but at 45o down in a ditch!   :o  The driver was still in his cab and on the phone, presumably to get himself rescued.   :facepalm:

Shortly after, I encountered a tractor so perhaps he wasn't going to have to wait too long!  Not sure how he was going to explain it though!   :demon: 

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3637 on: 21 January, 2013, 06:02:43 pm »

No such thing, doesn't exist.  And even if it did, we couldn't afford one anyway.  </BCC>

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #3638 on: 21 January, 2013, 06:14:44 pm »

No such thing, doesn't exist.  And even if it did, we couldn't afford one anyway.  </BCC>

Cambridge has one - they got it two years ago.  It is parked up, awaiting the safety/operating protocols to be signed off...  :facepalm:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #3639 on: 21 January, 2013, 06:19:58 pm »
We had that on site in 2010. There were five gritters parked up and ready to go - but no signed off contract with the contractor who owned them for the gritters to be used :facepalm:

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #3640 on: 21 January, 2013, 07:29:37 pm »
It hasn't stopped snowing all day but it's only just started to stick.

« Reply #3641 on: 21 January, 2013, 08:33:17 pm »
... Basically a small snow plough and gritter mounted on a quad bike, one man can clear loads of paths in no time.

A few years ago, driving through Wandsworth, there was a small gritter mounted on a trailer being pulled along by a quad bike on the pavements around the one-way system.  I haven't seen it since, and no one anywhere that I cycle these days seems to have ever heard of one.
Actually, it is rocket science.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #3642 on: 21 January, 2013, 09:09:30 pm »
There's a small gritter trailer that is towed around the car park at one of the local retail parks. It's pulled by a 4x4 in the car park, but it's narrow enough that it would fit down a cycle path if you hooked it up to a quad.

« Reply #3643 on: 21 January, 2013, 09:20:28 pm »

I saw it in action this morning. :D

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3644 on: 22 January, 2013, 12:43:59 am »
My sister-in-law emailed me a picture of my brother and his four-year old daughter in the snow.
They were standing in front of the snow penguin he, and 14 neighbours had taken 4 hours to build.
It's about nine feet tall and three feet wide.
As Hendon is home to many strictly orthodox Jews, Pingu wears a skullcap...

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #3645 on: 22 January, 2013, 07:32:21 am »
Most of the snow is going now.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3646 on: 22 January, 2013, 08:48:10 am »
We had a light dusting this morning.
It is simpler than it looks.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #3647 on: 22 January, 2013, 09:09:32 am »
Hah. The weather is playing tricks. When I went out at 6am it had been raining and the snow was going. When I left to go to work about half eight, it was snowing heavily and it's sticking. It should make its mind up.

tiermat

« Reply #3648 on: 22 January, 2013, 09:16:27 am »
We have a lovely combo on the road outside our house.

Ice - check
Snow on top of the ice - check
Snow squashed down by cars - check

It has been interesting this morning, watching the car ballet going on.  Oh! There's another one, a Citreon C2, going sideways around the corner...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3649 on: 22 January, 2013, 11:23:18 am »
The side road outside Larrington Towers always turns into a skating rink after even a light dose of sno.  And you always get idiots who approach the T-junction at dry-road speeds and use their usual dry-road braking point.  And then slide helplessly into the middle of the main road.  I saw two doing this just in the time it took me unload my shopping from the motor-car.

Later there was a huge UPS delivery van which approached the junction sensibly, then turned right in a full-on power slide.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime