Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639370 times)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #3650 on: 22 January, 2013, 12:53:18 pm »
You should make some score cards and hold them up.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #3651 on: 22 January, 2013, 01:10:35 pm »
A dose of perspective: Family have just mentioned the forecast for the suburbs east of Cleveland (as in Ohio, US), which are in the snow belt, is for 1-3 FEET of snow.

That's one reason the airport was built to the west of the city.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #3652 on: 22 January, 2013, 01:31:16 pm »
We have a lovely combo on the road outside our house.

Ice - check
Snow on top of the ice - check
Snow squashed down by cars - check

It has been interesting this morning, watching the car ballet going on.  Oh! There's another one, a Citreon C2, going sideways around the corner...

I have seen a number of cars (in that Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea) just crazily banged up and parked along the Chelsea Embankment with the stickers 'police aware' on them  :facepalm:

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #3653 on: 22 January, 2013, 01:45:57 pm »
It doesn't feel like much snow to me. (They have had quite a bit more elsewhere in the country, though, I know).  The problems it causes in the overcrowded urban corners of the country are out of all proportion to its amount, partly because our infrastructure, in many places, is operating at capacity at peak times.  I remember quite a few years when the snow has been much heavier, and longerlasting.  (I am a child of the 60's after all).  I remember snow drifts so deep, (probably 1963) my dad had to climb out of the window and dig a little path to our back door, with the snow banked up on each side.  I also remember, sledging down a very steep hill to school when we lived in Yorkshire for a couple of years. That would have been the late 60's.  The snow was deeper then the dry stone walls on either side of the cobbled track down.  I even remember, maybe early 90's, Frances' at about 3 years old, disappearing into the snow into the back yard of the block of flats where we lived, in Catford.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3654 on: 22 January, 2013, 02:17:09 pm »
It's a beautiful day here today: sunny and pleasant. The weather station reports 4°C and it probably is on the south-facing roof, but I'm sure it's a couple of degrees lower in the shade at ground level. The trees were dripping nicely in the park this morning, and every so often a big lump of snow would tumble 60' to the ground, where I was pleased not to be directly underneath. The pavements are still mostly slush covered but the roads are mostly clear.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #3655 on: 22 January, 2013, 02:31:16 pm »
Packed ice in village, main road is ok, see what it is like at 04-00 in the morning when I trikle home from Oxford  :)
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3656 on: 22 January, 2013, 02:36:22 pm »
Thawing like a biatch here.
Since its forecast to get colder over the next couple of days there's scope for some, erm. interesting riding surfaces.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #3657 on: 22 January, 2013, 02:37:40 pm »
I have seen a number of cars (in that Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea) just crazily banged up and parked along the Chelsea Embankment with the stickers 'police aware' on them  :facepalm:

ah yes, the what looks to be 4 car pile up where maybe the BMW has crossed the (wide) road and ended up on the pavement the other side. It looked like the wreckage was being cleared up when I came past this morning.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3658 on: 22 January, 2013, 02:46:03 pm »
Thawing like a biatch here.
Since its forecast to get colder over the next couple of days there's scope for some, erm. interesting riding surfaces.

Ditto here, the postman was complaining loudly, about the thaw and re-freeze cycle, when he delivered my parcel earlier.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #3659 on: 22 January, 2013, 03:13:17 pm »
Bin freezing all day here.  Visibility never more than about 800 yards, and a biting northerly wind that can just sod off.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #3660 on: 22 January, 2013, 03:36:19 pm »
Sleeting in Brighton.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3661 on: 22 January, 2013, 03:53:22 pm »
Stopped snowing this morning and then the sun came out, so Pingu and I have spent the day messing about in the powder :)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #3662 on: 22 January, 2013, 03:57:04 pm »
… er, back to snow. Though not laying.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #3663 on: 22 January, 2013, 04:20:10 pm »
Just started again here, not settling. Yet....

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3664 on: 22 January, 2013, 05:11:36 pm »
Snowing heavily here and beginning to stick.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #3665 on: 22 January, 2013, 05:20:03 pm »
Just started again here, not settling. Yet....

Now settling :) Appreciate for some it causes problems but this is the best snow that I've experienced in the UK! Had fun cycling in it and took my son sledging for the first time.

If this is global warming bring it on! :D

« Reply #3666 on: 22 January, 2013, 05:22:24 pm »
We had about 3" last night (shut up at the back) and another MAHOOSIVE dump is on the way shortly, apparently..

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #3667 on: 22 January, 2013, 05:28:06 pm »
We had about 3" last night (shut up at the back) and another MAHOOSIVE dump is on the way shortly, apparently..

Stomach cramps?
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #3668 on: 22 January, 2013, 06:47:11 pm »
There was a yellow SNO warning for the south-east today - so normal winter service for Mos Eisley Spaceport has resumed, insofar as it has been pi$$ing down most of the day.

Badoom, and indeed, tish...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3669 on: 22 January, 2013, 06:57:35 pm »
I had Miss Z the elder with me when we went to Sainsbury's, and she's always up for an adventure, so we went up on the Marlborough Downs on the way home.  Horizontal snow and white roads, cars tiptoeing about gingerly.  Quite exciting.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #3670 on: 22 January, 2013, 08:37:00 pm »
A Merc might be a nice car, but the rear wheel drive didn't seem to work to well going up the hill outside our house.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

simonp

« Reply #3671 on: 22 January, 2013, 09:21:57 pm »
It was hard work mentally riding home on snow tyres this evening. It is quite hard to believe they will keep on saving you each time you get caught in a rut.

« Reply #3672 on: 22 January, 2013, 09:26:51 pm »
I am delighted with myself I managed to get out in the garden today during that sweet spot, where the snow has just thawed revealing the dog poo I wanted to pick up, just before it snowed again on a clean lawn  :thumbsup:

« Reply #3673 on: 22 January, 2013, 09:40:23 pm »
I am delighted with myself I managed to get out in the garden today during that sweet spot, where the snow has just thawed revealing the dog poo I wanted to pick up, just before it snowed again on a clean lawn  :thumbsup:

No shit!

« Reply #3674 on: 22 January, 2013, 10:30:50 pm »

No shit!

Sherlock!