Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639633 times)

Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #3900 on: 17 March, 2013, 11:34:35 am »
Unexpected heavy snow here in Oxon - I've just seen a black cat crossing the garden with a good layer of snow on it's back.   :)
Where in Oxon? Up north, or up high?

Here is wet & miserable Berkshire we're just getting heavy rain - which Mrs B is out running in. I'll get out a fresh towel for her & clear the bathroom.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3901 on: 17 March, 2013, 12:01:43 pm »
South Oxon, altitude 67m!
4 hours of proper snow. Totally unforecast. Very pretty though, good chunky flakes.

Glad Reading's only got rain, what with the Half-Marathon (started at 1000 I believe)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #3902 on: 17 March, 2013, 12:25:43 pm »
South Oxon, altitude 67m!
4 hours of proper snow. Totally unforecast. Very pretty though, good chunky flakes.

Glad Reading's only got rain, what with the Half-Marathon (started at 1000 I believe)

Managed to get out in it for an hour before it started to melt. Hard work in the heavy stuff but a lot of fun!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3903 on: 17 March, 2013, 01:09:15 pm »
I've lost all faith in the forecasters - so the studded tyre is going on for tomorrow's commute! That should keep temperatures up, you can all thank me later :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #3904 on: 17 March, 2013, 01:54:25 pm »
Got back from a business trip from Hungary late on Friday. Got stuck in a Subaru with three colleagues for 22 hrs. Initially the motorway was blocked due to an accident and then high winds stripped the snow from the adjacent fields and piled it up around the vehicles- the drifts were above head height after a few hours.

The following day some sort of community organisation transported us to a nearby village once the opposite carriageway was cleared and gave us coffee, fruit tea, bread and cheese, pizza and cake. Plus a 1.5 litre drinks bottle full of petrol. The carriageway we were stuck on was cleared by the military (with tanks!) a couple of hours later, just as we got back to the vehicle.

It was good to see something of Hungary I wouldn't have otherwise seen, but if there's a next time I'm taking the train.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3905 on: 18 March, 2013, 06:53:17 am »
It isn't snowing near Swindon, but it might was well have done, given how hard the frost is! White everywhere.
It is simpler than it looks.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3906 on: 19 March, 2013, 04:08:00 pm »
The first 18 days of March have yielded a mean temperature of 4.5°C. That's still colder than January.

It would not surprise me in the slightest if the first three months of this year are the coldest since 1963. I'm 100% certain that was lots colder as the snow that fell on Boxing Day and 30th Dec. 1962 didn't start to thaw properly until 6th March - the first day of the year with no frost anywhere in Britain and a maximum temperature of 17°C.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #3907 on: 19 March, 2013, 06:55:19 pm »
I'm due to be in London tomorrow and Thursday, and have the option of bringing my slick-tyred Brompton (as normal)  :) or using the Tube  :-\ .  All I know is that Edinburgh was under three inches of snow this morning and two millimeters of rain this evening.  Should I prepare for SNO or is everyone carrying on as usual on two wheels?
Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3908 on: 19 March, 2013, 06:58:58 pm »
There won't be any snow in London this week. The temperature is due to rise by the weekend. It might be wet though.

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #3909 on: 19 March, 2013, 10:29:12 pm »
Thanks, Wow.  The Beeb reckons cloudy and 6ºC.  Blimey, that's practically t-shirt weather for us northern barbarians!
Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".

Chris S

« Reply #3910 on: 20 March, 2013, 08:12:49 am »
Snowing in Diss. Again. It's hardly news these days. Sigh. Looks like the Starks were right  >:(.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #3911 on: 20 March, 2013, 09:38:32 am »
Unexpected heavy snow here in Oxon - I've just seen a black cat crossing the garden with a good layer of snow on it's back.   :)
That's not a cat, it's an escaped skunk.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #3912 on: 20 March, 2013, 02:52:26 pm »
Started snowing in the last couple of km into work this morning. Then it did some horizontal snowing across the office windows (right to left). All gone now.

Its interesting when the wind is blowing the flakes away from you, then as you speed up they come towards you. I'll get my coat.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #3913 on: 21 March, 2013, 09:26:28 am »
Not snowed here for a couple of weeks :thumbsup: Though the Norwegians say it'll snow early tomorrow morning and all day on Saturday :hand:

I prefer the Norwegian Met Office cos they're  usually far mor akriate than the UK one.

http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/England/Shefford~2638074/long.html
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3914 on: 21 March, 2013, 09:34:22 am »
There won't be any snow in London this week. The temperature is due to rise by the weekend. It might be wet though.

The Met Office have had a huge change of heart since I wrote that. Their 10°C, which was forecast at the time, has now been significantly downgraded to "bloody cold" with much of the country having more snow over the weekend. Arellcat should be OK for today and tomorrow though, but it will probably rain.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3915 on: 21 March, 2013, 01:55:30 pm »
It's actually quite pleasant outside at the moment. 6°C and weak sunshine.

« Reply #3916 on: 21 March, 2013, 02:46:37 pm »
North Oxfordshire  5c Easterly wind and if the weather forecast before I trikle to work is to believed an armegeddon of snow is forecast at the weekend, if I thought I could get away with it I would claim asylum in Australia (the asylum I live in is to ferkin cold)   ;)
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3917 on: 21 March, 2013, 03:32:31 pm »
It's actually quite pleasant outside at the moment. 6°C and weak sunshine.

Yes.  I should have got up early and ridden to Banbury...

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #3918 on: 21 March, 2013, 03:56:18 pm »
Sunny up here but a bitterly cold wind, and there's apparently due to be some noticable snowfall starting around 1am tomorrow, accompanied by 30mph+ winds :(.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #3919 on: 21 March, 2013, 08:08:29 pm »
This bad weather is now becoming very BORING!  :demon:
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #3920 on: 22 March, 2013, 07:34:07 am »
Just looked out of the window.   It's all white & looks most unpleasant !
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #3921 on: 22 March, 2013, 08:00:46 am »
I never thought I would have to blog on my beesite about what to do about snow in bloody March. This is ridiculous. But then again this is the UK with it's highly unpredictable maritime climate.

Hear in Castle Donington it is an inch and we have cancelled our weekend off to the High Peaks. Mutter mutters..... celebrating the hounds 100th birthday and he loves the motor home so the plan was to have a weekend on the High Peaks trail but that is now stuffed. Roads around Buxton are blocked already the news said at 7am.

PH
Bees do nothing invariably.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #3922 on: 22 March, 2013, 08:03:16 am »
It's blasting across horizontally here.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3923 on: 22 March, 2013, 08:09:53 am »
Started snowing between York and Leeds and has just got heavier and heavier.  Trains to and from Ilkley are delayed by upto 20 minutes.

Keeping an eye on the TPE website, as soon as the trains home start being delayed I am offski.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #3924 on: 22 March, 2013, 08:22:07 am »
No snow here in Southampton dull overcast and 4c