Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639414 times)

Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #3950 on: 23 March, 2013, 10:02:38 am »
a brief moment of cold wet snow this morning . mostly gone in the continuing rain now though :(
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #3951 on: 23 March, 2013, 12:11:17 pm »
Reading:
Woke up to a covering of snow & more in the air. Slush & a bit of wet snow now on the ground, & more wet snow falling.

It'll be icy tomorrow morning.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3952 on: 23 March, 2013, 12:35:48 pm »
Overnight we had approx. 150mm.

« Reply #3953 on: 23 March, 2013, 12:59:50 pm »
well we have around 3 inches, main roads are ok but the lanes are blocked, we're supposed to be getting more later on,

« Reply #3954 on: 23 March, 2013, 02:05:30 pm »
Started coming down at 04-00 this morning, looked as though might lay, first time I have seen a gritter out our way (especially early hours of Saturday morning), normally they leave us to rot, when I got up a covering over the fields but roads nicely slushy  :)   I want Summer, you can see why the ancients worshipped the Sun can you not
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

« Reply #3955 on: 23 March, 2013, 02:35:04 pm »
It's been lightly snowing in Croydon since this morning, and was settling then. The temperature has risen since, and it's no longer selling. What had settled has also melted, so it's much less scenic now.

To be getting any snow this late in the year, this far south is somewhat unusual. :-\
Actually, it is rocket science.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3956 on: 23 March, 2013, 02:40:34 pm »
Still snowing in Central London, but hasn't settled at all.
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3957 on: 23 March, 2013, 02:43:48 pm »
It's just started up again properly in Brum.  You can tell it's serious; some of the drivers are slowing down.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #3958 on: 23 March, 2013, 03:27:45 pm »
It's just started up again properly in Brum.  You can tell it's serious; some of the drivers are slowing down.

Well, you have to be a little careful when you've only cleared a letter box size viewing box on your windscreen.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3959 on: 23 March, 2013, 03:31:37 pm »

Well, you have to be a little careful when you've only cleared a letter box size viewing box on your windscreen.

It's been suggested that the BMW drivers need the weight of the snow on the rear window for traction...

« Reply #3960 on: 23 March, 2013, 03:45:00 pm »
Starting to snow again in Liverpool.   Nasty cold wind as well.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #3961 on: 23 March, 2013, 05:38:28 pm »
Hasnt really stopped all day hereabouts but its the wet stuff and picking up its pace again atm.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #3962 on: 23 March, 2013, 07:50:41 pm »
Its actually still snowing and gritters are out so sub zero then. Ho hum this is boring now with nobs on.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3963 on: 23 March, 2013, 09:07:30 pm »
No snow here, frikkin freezing wind though.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #3964 on: 23 March, 2013, 09:42:59 pm »
As there is no snow here (but there is some on the mountains, and the world was cut off from us) nor in Inverness, Mrs E and her far northern sister have come to the conclusion that it's only snowing where it is. Maybe I should cross-reference this to What Are You Drinking? (In our case, an apparently psychotropic red from Apulia).

« Reply #3965 on: 24 March, 2013, 09:27:37 am »
We've had a little snow in Croydon overnight, although it's barely settled, just on fences, cars, the garden and so forth, but not noticeably on the roads. The temperature is around, or just above freezing, so if we get any more, I don't expect that'll settle either.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #3966 on: 24 March, 2013, 09:39:21 am »
Most of the snow started to melt yesterday, which then froze solid and turned everywhere into an ice rink. It then snowed all night but thankfully hasn't made much difference.

It's now very icy and very windy, I'm even sick of looking out of the window at it!

Luckily I got my mileage in last week before it started but this week looks like it'll be a struggle to meet any targets :(
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #3967 on: 24 March, 2013, 11:11:29 am »
I give up still no snow in Southampton

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #3968 on: 24 March, 2013, 11:15:56 am »
Here it's not snowing per se (WOCAL) but, with the wind from the East, there are flurries of powder from the railway bank - especially if the powder has built up a bit and then a fast train goes by.
At least the embankment protects us from the wind.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3969 on: 24 March, 2013, 11:33:42 am »
It seems that my predictions of the coldest March on record are likely to be wrong. It wasn't March 1963 that was so bad (I remember that one being quite nice after the record-breaking cold Jan & Feb) but March 1962! The mean temperature for the month was 2.8°C. Currently ours stands at 4.4°C in our garden, but that of course is in balmy Saarfend. I would imagine that when T'Frozen North is taken into consideration the whole country's monthly mean temperature will be rather lower than that.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/mar/24/snow-britain-travel-chaos refers.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #3970 on: 24 March, 2013, 11:55:43 am »
It seems that my predictions of the coldest March on record are likely to be wrong. It wasn't March 1963 that was so bad (I remember that one being quite nice after the record-breaking cold Jan & Feb) but March 1962! The mean temperature for the month was 2.8°C. Currently ours stands at 4.4°C in our garden, but that of course is in balmy Saarfend..

It's 5°C in my bathroom.......   :o   Like camping at home.....
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3971 on: 24 March, 2013, 01:39:13 pm »
There is still white stuff on the grass of my Londonton garden.

« Reply #3972 on: 24 March, 2013, 05:14:06 pm »
We just had a lovely 7km walk to Wycoller from Winewall via some absolutely huge snowdrifts!  It took us double the usual time. Local lanes are completely blocked by several feet of drifted snow, or have been somewhat cleared by local farmers.

« Reply #3973 on: 24 March, 2013, 05:38:01 pm »
no more snow here yet!, the thermometer hasn't moved off -3 all day, but it does feel much colder with the wind.
I must admit this really is becoming rather tedious

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3974 on: 24 March, 2013, 07:08:17 pm »
I think it's thawing a bit, in as much as the snow left after I kicked a route clear on our front path seems to have melted.

Temperature still slightly below zero, and the rain gauge hasn't thawed out yet.

8km of comedy snow trike adventuring in the "Have you been out today?" thread.  Even in these urban areas, the depth of snow was very variable - presumably on account of strong winds.