Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639475 times)

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #4325 on: 17 January, 2016, 05:55:37 pm »
Horrible mizzling rain all day in Somerset  :-[
Advena ego sum in Terra

« Reply #4326 on: 17 January, 2016, 06:03:20 pm »
There was a dusting of snow on the ground, and a light flurry falling, as I left home this morning. From the train it became clear that the whole way into about Ealing Broadway had had a thin coat (e.g. 1cm) however it had all gone by the time I came home this afternoon.

At 07:45 I wasn't the first cyclist to put tracks in the snow on my local road  :'(

« Reply #4327 on: 17 January, 2016, 10:22:54 pm »

Dropped the pressure to 8psi. Really wouldn't have known there was snow beneath my tyres. The grip level was bonkers.

« Reply #4328 on: 18 January, 2016, 01:13:07 pm »
Nothing in London.   :(
Maybe not in your part.....
SE had cars, roofs and bins covered in a thin smattering at 03:30 this morning.
That smattering remains.

I had some snow at 3am too, in deepest Croydon.  Most of that on the ground had gone by 10am when I went out shopping, and I think the remainder on cars and shed roofs had melted by midday.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4329 on: 18 January, 2016, 01:20:46 pm »
Tilley dog quite enjoyed crazying about off lead in the snow this evening. She dives head-first into it, snorts, tries to eat it. Pees on snowmen. The normal dog-in-snow stuff.
Just like a two year old!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4330 on: 18 January, 2016, 02:26:04 pm »
Tilley dog quite enjoyed crazying about off lead in the snow this evening. She dives head-first into it, snorts, tries to eat it. Pees on snowmen. The normal dog-in-snow stuff.

I'm sure I've mentioned before the circumstances of my brother (who was at that point used to roaming about naked in a tropical climate) discovering snow for the first time...

« Reply #4331 on: 18 January, 2016, 02:29:24 pm »
Poor sod :o
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #4332 on: 18 January, 2016, 02:49:52 pm »

I wasn't allowed to pee on snowmen when I was two.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #4333 on: 18 January, 2016, 03:20:19 pm »

I wasn't allowed to pee on snowmen when I was two.
[/quote
Never mind, you can make up for it now.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #4334 on: 18 January, 2016, 03:24:54 pm »

I'm sure I've mentioned before the circumstances of my brother (who was at that point used to roaming about naked in a tropical climate) discovering snow for the first time...
Not that I remember, but I suppose it was something similar to my mother's school friend who had grown up in Nigeria. Who, waking up to see a world covered in cotton wool, could resist running barefoot in it?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4335 on: 18 January, 2016, 05:47:29 pm »

Not that I remember, but I suppose it was something similar to my mother's school friend who had grown up in Nigeria. Who, waking up to see a world covered in cotton wool, could resist running barefoot in it?

More a case of encountering the combination of  a) an open door to the outside world  and  b) a full bladder,  running outside stark naked (he'd yet to be presuaded to keep clothes on) to do what came naturally, and then stopping very suddenly, doing that calm-before-the-storm pause thing that toddlers do, and SCREAMING.

This is, of course, embarrassing parental anecdote gold.

(I was older, more inclined to wear clothes and thoroughly toilet trained, so my first experiences of snow were a lot less traumatic.)

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #4336 on: 02 March, 2016, 11:09:11 am »
Yay - Snow in (not sunny) Swindon :thumbsup:

Bah - not cold enough to settle thobut, and it's the horrible shitty sleety slush that's gonna make the commute home GRIM if it keeps up...
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #4337 on: 02 March, 2016, 11:17:46 am »
Quite a thick dusting here in Skipton, just under an inch has settled.

« Reply #4338 on: 02 March, 2016, 11:37:26 am »
Loads of it north of Brum, but not sticking

Hoping to catch a few on my tongue at lunchtime

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #4339 on: 02 March, 2016, 01:06:31 pm »
I can only apologise.  It's my fault for taking the winter marathons off the sno bike a couple of weeks ago.  (The boy wanted to use it but wasn't keen on snow tires with no snow)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #4340 on: 02 March, 2016, 01:21:24 pm »
A quick flurry in CV4, but the sun came out straight after...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #4341 on: 02 March, 2016, 02:55:22 pm »
not snow here, but there was an almighty darkening of the skies followed by a big hailstorm.

I was alright though, I was indoors talking about bikes.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #4342 on: 02 March, 2016, 03:12:41 pm »
Quite a thick dusting here in Skipton, just under an inch has settled.
And it is gone
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #4343 on: 02 March, 2016, 03:27:09 pm »
Snowing but not lying at sea level in Furryboottoon.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4344 on: 02 March, 2016, 03:33:07 pm »
We had a blizzard of sleet this morning. That was all.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #4345 on: 02 March, 2016, 03:38:59 pm »
No snow here. Blue skies and sun! :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4346 on: 02 March, 2016, 05:23:19 pm »
We've had most kinds of weather here this afternoon, for up to 2 minutes at a time.

« Reply #4347 on: 02 March, 2016, 07:39:49 pm »
Gone to Iceland Kim :D .
the slower you go the more you see

fuzzy

« Reply #4348 on: 03 March, 2016, 01:54:42 pm »
Got shot blasted with a couple of flurries of what looked like meringue granules (not light enough for snow but not hard enough for hail) during the pick up traffic control yesterday. Was bracing.

« Reply #4349 on: 03 March, 2016, 02:03:34 pm »
Not snow but a severe and prolonged blast of sleet and hailstones  (coupled with a tree being blown down by me) in rural Northern Oxfordshire, neatly timed when I was nowhere near any cover at all of course.
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.