Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639406 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #4550 on: 08 December, 2017, 11:56:23 pm »
I love it when it snows down south ie anything below BirminghM. It's suddenly newsworthy and the whole country grinds to a halt.

Quite cold tonight but crystal clear. My car registered -1°C when leaving a church on a slope. Slightly less cold in central Saarfend.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #4551 on: 09 December, 2017, 12:17:47 am »
minus 3 so far in rural North Oxfordshire, snow flurries earlier, damn good frost
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #4552 on: 09 December, 2017, 07:29:45 am »
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4553 on: 09 December, 2017, 08:34:55 am »
Had the curious experience last night of watching Orion, Gemini & C° to the east, then turning west into a snowshower.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #4554 on: 09 December, 2017, 09:05:56 am »
Move Faster and Bake Things

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #4555 on: 09 December, 2017, 10:13:21 am »
-2 and slidey on leaving the house this morning, even in a 4x4.  Will leave it a bit before going out on two wheels.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #4556 on: 09 December, 2017, 11:38:01 am »
Haven't been outside yet!  Looking out the window at two snow covered cars and a quarter mile long upward sloping snow covered driveway.  Mid-Wales.
Wombat

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #4557 on: 10 December, 2017, 08:48:54 am »

Happydance  :D

SNObike time on the tracks for few hours ;D
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #4558 on: 10 December, 2017, 08:50:31 am »
Looks like a couple of inches here in Rugby.  Due to keep topping up all day.

Gonna get my walking boots out so that I can go cor a walk before it all melts.

« Reply #4559 on: 10 December, 2017, 08:53:30 am »
*Opens curtains*

Fucking hell! I wasn't expecting that! A few inches already and still dumping it down....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #4560 on: 10 December, 2017, 08:55:49 am »
Milk please, no sugar.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #4561 on: 10 December, 2017, 09:04:29 am »
Just about covering the ground in my part of the Forest, higher up they have a few inches.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4562 on: 10 December, 2017, 09:10:14 am »
We have had a little here. There was none at first light but now it's settling, nowhere near an inch yet.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #4563 on: 10 December, 2017, 09:12:01 am »
5cm and increasing in leafy Bucks, just near the Chilterns. Wettish tho, papers have got here on time. Glad I sorted the logs and bird feeders out yesterday.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4564 on: 10 December, 2017, 09:12:25 am »
Looks close to 5cm thickness on the armrests of our garden bench in west London and lots of starlings bickering over food that they've turned their beaks up at for the past couple of days.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4565 on: 10 December, 2017, 09:41:57 am »
My cousin in North Finchley is hosting a family gathering today to celebrate his parents' Diamond Wedding.
His parents are staying in some Central London hotel, as they are visiting from Copenhagen.
I expect the Danes will mock the Brits.

As they should.

I hope I can join them and that London's Hackney Carriage drivers don't disappoint me by wimping out.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #4566 on: 10 December, 2017, 09:50:59 am »
We must be right at the edge of the snow zone.  It's been snowing all morning but not really settling.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #4567 on: 10 December, 2017, 09:59:30 am »
A very good covering here on the western edge of Leicester, and it's still chucking it down.
Apparently they've cancelled the CTC DA Carol Service near Twycross on 'safety grounds' - seems that CTC round here isn't made of the stuff it used to be !

Tapatalk puts this signature here, not me!
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #4568 on: 10 December, 2017, 10:04:22 am »
We must be right at the edge of the snow zone.  It's been snowing all morning but not really settling.
Just 20 miles or so south and we have about 5 inches (English inches not these short measure centithings) with more falling steadily.  Some rural roads are closed.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4569 on: 10 December, 2017, 10:09:21 am »
Tipping down here too.  Just been out throwing snowballs for the dogs. They either chase them and search round wildly when they disintegrate on impact, or catch them, whereupon they explode in their teeth. Then they come back for more.

The annoying thing is that The Law makes us responsible for keeping the pavement clear outside our house.  If someone slips and breaks a leg on it we're liable. :(

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4570 on: 10 December, 2017, 10:10:25 am »
Just 20 miles or so south and we have about 5 inches (English inches not these short measure centithings) with more falling steadily.

Five English inches is about average, I believe. Falling steadily? Damn.

« Reply #4571 on: 10 December, 2017, 10:11:00 am »
OX5 a couple of miles East of Woodstock, blearily opened the curtains and expletive deleted, about 4 inches and coming down fast, 7 month old puppy looked through the cat flap making grumbling noises and reluctantly went out for a poo, 10 minutes later asked to go out again and was running around in it excitedly. Radio on coffee in hand life is good.
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

« Reply #4572 on: 10 December, 2017, 10:12:42 am »
Tipping down here too.  Just been out throwing snowballs for the dogs. They either chase them and search round wildly when they disintegrate on impact, or catch them, whereupon they explode in their teeth. Then they come back for more.

The annoying thing is that The Law makes us responsible for keeping the pavement clear outside our house.  If someone slips and breaks a leg on it we're liable. :(
                 I thought the law was that if you DID clear anything then and only then were you liable

« Reply #4573 on: 10 December, 2017, 10:13:55 am »
Damply lying in SE London - maybe an inch, or two at most. But it's stopped falling and started melting in the past 20 mins.

« Reply #4574 on: 10 December, 2017, 10:26:44 am »
Non here at all :(

Watching the weather on TV it was like in inverted world in that everything below eh Humber was getting loads of snow and everything above wasn't.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.