Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639509 times)

nicknack

• Hornblower
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #4750 on: 26 February, 2018, 05:39:15 pm »
Just started here - big fluffy things.  20m S of Chester.  Very grey over towards the E.  Hope it doesn't come to much - I've a sax lesson in Chester this evening!
If you can't get there: long notes and scales.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4751 on: 26 February, 2018, 05:53:29 pm »
Apparently it's just started snowing here in Bristol. Can't see it actually. Temperature is -0.a bit and it's fairly windy.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4752 on: 26 February, 2018, 06:29:40 pm »
Any previous SNO in E17 had utterly gorn, disparu like mother's mink, last time I looked out of the window.  Not even settled on parked cars.

Bah.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Chris S

« Reply #4753 on: 26 February, 2018, 06:48:52 pm »
Unimpressed with SNOpocalypse so far. There have been several false starts, but each time it just kinda went "Ah fuck it, I can't be arsed" and the sun came out again.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #4754 on: 26 February, 2018, 07:42:32 pm »
Unimpressed with SNOpocalypse so far. There have been several false starts, but each time it just kinda went "Ah fuck it, I can't be arsed" and the sun came out again.

pretty much the same in Camberley, Heathrow and points between there and East Cambs
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ian

« Reply #4755 on: 26 February, 2018, 09:05:29 pm »
Snowed a bit on the North Downs this morning, heavy showers then sunshine. Mostly melted by afternoon despite the frigid temperature. Not exactly Yakutsk.

In an outbreak of public spiritedness I did play the Gritting Fairy (non-tutu version) and gritted the hill outside (and my path and drive).

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
« Reply #4756 on: 26 February, 2018, 10:22:39 pm »
My flight from Stansted to Belfast tomorrow afternoon has been cancelled.  In anticipation.  Of bad weather, forecast by the ever-reliable forecasting services.   >:( 

I note that providers of train services are doing this sort of thing too.  Must be cheaper to call the whole thing off than to try to run a service which might prove to be challenging.
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #4757 on: 26 February, 2018, 10:59:18 pm »
Just driven back from Sheffield via Stocksbridge & Woodhead. Wasn't the route of choice but some divot had closed the M1, 37-38, so it was that or wibbling around on unfamiliar roads between Penistone & Wakefield.

1500 feet up on Woodhead it was snowing steadily but not settling. The outside temp was -4oC though, so if it gets any heavier... Glad I don't work in Sheffield any more.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #4758 on: 26 February, 2018, 11:07:58 pm »
Just started here - big fluffy things.  20m S of Chester.  Very grey over towards the E.  Hope it doesn't come to much - I've a sax lesson in Chester this evening!

I did get there, but came back without my sax.  It needed some tweaks (register key, long B flat and the L3 (G) key -  so my teacher will tweak it this week.  I'll have to get the Buescher out!  Feels like my right arm's been cut off, or someone's nicked one of my 'bents.....

At least my teacher says that the tweaks are because I practice so much - better than having dropped it I suppose!

Chris S

« Reply #4759 on: 26 February, 2018, 11:09:40 pm »
Ah, OK. Properly snowing now, and settling.

« Reply #4760 on: 27 February, 2018, 06:44:12 am »
Just woken up to snow on the ground in Liverpool.  We've not had that for a few years, so I'd anticipate some minor traffic chaos.   Hope it vanishes soon, they rarely grit the pavements in my part of town  >:(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

ElyDave

« Reply #4761 on: 27 February, 2018, 06:52:32 am »
nothing in North East Cambs

« Reply #4762 on: 27 February, 2018, 07:17:34 am »
No sign of snow here but -4 this morning  :)
the slower you go the more you see

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #4763 on: 27 February, 2018, 07:59:21 am »
-3° and light snow settling.
That's odd, I thought we were on the Thursday/Friday list, not the Tuesday/Wednesday..
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #4764 on: 27 February, 2018, 08:00:58 am »
It's snowed here, in the east of the Eastern Angles. Not much though, possibly 2 or 3 centimetres, though with the temp at about -4oC its very fine powder. TPTB have gritted some of the roads, but no ploughs have been out and the worst road is the A12 going north from the A14.
It would seem that there are a lot of very sensible people who have stayed at home though because there is a lot less traffic at large than normal for this time of day. (unlike me who HAD to take Dr Beardy (Mrs) into the office this morning!)

I've obviously now completed my transition from home worker to office worker because I chose to come into the office rather than go home after dropping off SWMBO. I'm not sure how I feel about this.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

ian

« Reply #4765 on: 27 February, 2018, 08:02:59 am »
Little bit overnight in the jungles of Surrey. Not enough to please the yeti.

Mysteriously, there's a pair of tyre tracks up the driveway. I didn't think the bears could drive.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #4766 on: 27 February, 2018, 08:12:32 am »
The Isle of Sheppey is very very white - and getting whiter. It's been a few years since we've had this much snow.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4767 on: 27 February, 2018, 08:24:15 am »
Didn't settle, obvs. In fact I'm not convinced it really fell. Supposedly -4. Cold wind.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #4768 on: 27 February, 2018, 08:26:34 am »
It's now 'properly' snowing in the east of the Eastern Angles. Maybe I should have gorn home while I could  :o
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #4769 on: 27 February, 2018, 08:32:17 am »
A light dusting but more is promised and indeed it is snowing at the moment.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #4770 on: 27 February, 2018, 08:45:37 am »
Currently about -7ºC and falling to -10ºC this afternoon. Hard wind from the NE and the wind chill is chilly. Brrrrrr!

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #4771 on: 27 February, 2018, 08:48:38 am »
A small amount of snow in FurryBootToon and a couple flakes on the cycle to work. Nothing on the roads on the commute.

ElyDave

« Reply #4772 on: 27 February, 2018, 08:54:29 am »
It's now 'properly' snowing in the east of the Eastern Angles. Maybe I should have gorn home while I could  :o

then it's probably heading my way. What started out as a clear blue sky is now looking ominous

My office at home is a balmy 8.9C, and that's with the electric radiator under my desk. #thickjumperday

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #4773 on: 27 February, 2018, 09:00:19 am »

I did get there, but came back without my sax.  It needed some tweaks (register key, long B flat and the L3 (G) key -  so my teacher will tweak it this week.  I'll have to get the Buescher out!  Feels like my right arm's been cut off, or someone's nicked one of my 'bents.....

At least my teacher says that the tweaks are because I practice so much - better than having dropped it I suppose!

This is why n+1 applies to saxes too.

Meanwhile, here in Sheppey:

« Reply #4774 on: 27 February, 2018, 09:16:11 am »
Missed us....so far.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain