Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639878 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #4900 on: 01 March, 2018, 11:15:08 am »
Most of the inside ice has melted. Oh yeay.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #4901 on: 01 March, 2018, 11:25:41 am »
Water pipes frozen up in our garage. That's a bit of a bugger, because that is where our washing machine is located.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #4902 on: 01 March, 2018, 11:36:58 am »
Snowing in the countryside of OX5, my weather station recorded a low of minus 12c last night, we live by the canal and it is always a few degrees cooler, you can feel the drop as you turn into the lane from the main road.
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4903 on: 01 March, 2018, 11:38:36 am »
Had a semi-frozen pipe (prob the HW cylinder vent pipe - caused slow running taps) this morning, but clear now.  Still -5 outside and some v interestingly-shaped drifts.

I went up and rolled back the loft insulation under the cold tank to give it a bit more heat soak from below.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #4904 on: 01 March, 2018, 11:40:28 am »
no more SNO in CB6, but bloody cold. 

I switched the electric heater on in my office at 6am, it's now up to 12C.   The snow detritus left in the shed by my feet yesterday hasn't melted

“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ian

« Reply #4905 on: 01 March, 2018, 12:28:46 pm »
Without the benefits of the sun, I'm down to 16.6 degrees in the remote command centre, so might have to fire up the radiator soon. Claims to be -3 in the sheltered carport under the house (or it did when I went for swim a few hours ago). Sprinkling of snow overnight, but not much.

British Gas bailed of course, so I'm doomed to a cold bathroom for another week. After I'd been out and gritted the driveway and hill just for them. Grumble.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #4906 on: 01 March, 2018, 12:42:27 pm »
Claims to be -3 in the sheltered carport under the house (or it did when I went for swim

Carport flooded?
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

ian

« Reply #4907 on: 01 March, 2018, 12:51:10 pm »
Sadly, no pool. I have to stomp up all 100 steps of the hill for that (and for a bonus, it was actually open and it seems the school too). Anyway, it's where the car lives because the garage is filled with bikes and surplus Ikea furnishing, which is right and proper.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4908 on: 01 March, 2018, 01:21:29 pm »
A SNOpocalypse that can't generate enough Silly Soft StuffTM even to cover the lid of a wheelie bin is, frankly, a waste of resources.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #4909 on: 01 March, 2018, 01:33:20 pm »
A SNOpocalypse that can't generate enough Silly Soft StuffTM even to cover the lid of a wheelie bin is, frankly, a waste of resources.
So was being a snowflake for electing to not travel to E17 today?

« Reply #4910 on: 01 March, 2018, 01:37:30 pm »
I have been out on an emergency supply run to Malton seeing as the courier has not managed to deliver the dog food I ordered this week (excuses included road diversion and now weather of course).
An interesting trip, some parts of the road were mainly clear of snow, some were completely covered and there was some really nasty drifting in places. Eight foot high drifts covering half the road and the blown snow making it really hard to see. I nearly drove into one drift trying to avoid a car coming in the opposite direction.
Mission accomplished though so the pooch wont starve and we have enougfh supplies to get us through to next week. Not going anywhere again until this calms down.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

rogerzilla

« Reply #4911 on: 01 March, 2018, 02:05:16 pm »
My daughters' school in Swindon closed after one hour.  Miss Z the elder said the teachers (some of whom had dragged their sorry arses in from Zummerzet) were not happy.

« Reply #4912 on: 01 March, 2018, 02:05:37 pm »
The snow plough came down our road today.  It's never happened before and the road is probably now one of the cleanest in York.

Other than that, it is 'brutally cold' as they say on the Beeb but no longer snowing.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #4913 on: 01 March, 2018, 02:20:53 pm »
It's been snowing, after a fashion, since midday in Pompey, but it doesn't look like being worthy of an amber warning at the moment.

Mind you, when I checked the weather warnings last night on the MetOrifice site, the Solent area was on the edges of the amber zone, so it could change.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #4914 on: 01 March, 2018, 02:21:17 pm »
Our offices in the Central Belt have closed and will be closed tomorrow.

And they'll be closed again tomorrow. Soft southerners  :)

rogerzilla

« Reply #4915 on: 01 March, 2018, 02:22:18 pm »
20180301_135027 by rogerzilla, on Flickr
It's blowing around like flour.  Too cold for it to stick.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4916 on: 01 March, 2018, 02:23:50 pm »
Snowpocalypse still disappointing in Middle Earth, although there is the novelty factor of the dry powdery snow blowing around on the road rather than sticking.  Not something you normally see in urban areas in the UK.

ian

« Reply #4917 on: 01 March, 2018, 02:30:40 pm »
Biffa can't empty the bins but John Lewis can still deliver.

« Reply #4918 on: 01 March, 2018, 02:35:08 pm »
Waitrose was chaotic today. Shutting at 3pm, so there was much panic-buying of avocados and quinoa in evidence this afternoon.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #4919 on: 01 March, 2018, 02:46:31 pm »
Waitrose was chaotic today. Shutting at 3pm, so there was much panic-buying of avocados and quinoa in evidence this afternoon.

I'm down to my last shallot  :o

But at least I still have turnips, swede and celeriac - I'll keep the bed warm if nothing else ;D
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #4920 on: 01 March, 2018, 02:55:21 pm »
Apparently there was ice on the sea this morning, so when it finally stopped snowing (but not the 35mph Easterly) I toddled in the direction of the beach. I got halfway down the cliff and decided discretion was in order and headed home. Horrible, it was.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

ian

« Reply #4921 on: 01 March, 2018, 02:58:44 pm »
We are digging through the freezer in survival mode as we didn't go shopping at the weekend. It's a good job we like peas. I ate some halloumi the other day that claimed a sell-by date of June 2017. Weirdly, it melted like ordinary cheese under the grill, but otherwise seemed fine and no one died. I don't believe cheese goes off until it changes colour and adopts a fighting stance when approached.

I can't eat celeriac under any circumstances. It's only one step above Jerusalem artichokes.

I'm not, tbh, sure why this part of Surrey has ground to a halt, there's less than 2cm of snow and despite the temperature it seems to have mostly melted from the roads. Mind you, I'm not going out again today.

« Reply #4922 on: 01 March, 2018, 03:12:18 pm »
They have closed the office (we are on the edge of the Storm Emma red warning area) and we have to phone tomorrow morning.
So I am now back home and have bled the radiator in the spare room/study/office.

"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4923 on: 01 March, 2018, 03:37:53 pm »
The temperature has risen to -1°C. Positively balmy!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4924 on: 01 March, 2018, 03:50:20 pm »
It's all about the wind direction. Looking out of the window here, there's nothing more than whirling flakes and a light dusting on the ground. Looking out the other side of the house, there's proper snow on the road. At least, ooh, an inch! Enough for some sledging!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.