Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639468 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #5025 on: 03 March, 2018, 04:35:49 pm »
We built a snowperson this morning, it's looking quite forlorn already
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #5026 on: 03 March, 2018, 06:35:26 pm »
Snow was gone by lunchtime and it got to 3degrees today . Nearly shorts weather  ;)
the slower you go the more you see

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5027 on: 03 March, 2018, 06:39:19 pm »
I did see someone in shorts this morning. And on Thursday, but not yesterday. Haven't seen anyone in flip-flops recently, which is unusual.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #5029 on: 03 March, 2018, 07:02:32 pm »
STILL snowing here  :(
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
« Reply #5030 on: 03 March, 2018, 07:50:37 pm »
Something, presumably a RWD BMW with low-profile summer tyres, has collided with the telecoms cabinet across the road at some point overnight.  I'm reasonably sure our phoneline doesn't go through that one, which is just as well, as it's now leaning over at a 45° angle.

A work colleague had something similar happen, knocking out his broadband service. Reporting this to BT on his mobile, he was threatened with various punitive charges, should the fault be with his equipment rather than theirs - as he looked out the window at a felled cabinet :-)
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5031 on: 03 March, 2018, 07:57:40 pm »
Something, presumably a RWD BMW with low-profile summer tyres, has collided with the telecoms cabinet across the road at some point overnight.  I'm reasonably sure our phoneline doesn't go through that one, which is just as well, as it's now leaning over at a 45° angle.

A work colleague had something similar happen, knocking out his broadband service. Reporting this to BT on his mobile, he was threatened with various punitive charges, should the fault be with his equipment rather than theirs - as he looked out the window at a felled cabinet :-)

Indeed, reversing a vehicle into a cabinet or pole is an established ha-ha-only-serious suggestion for persuading our-favourite-telco to deal with persistent line faults.

ElyDave

« Reply #5032 on: 03 March, 2018, 08:01:58 pm »
My feet got very wet running g earlier, very slushy out there at 3 whole degrees.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5033 on: 03 March, 2018, 08:14:45 pm »

Indeed, reversing a vehicle into a cabinet or pole is an established ha-ha-only-serious suggestion for persuading our-favourite-telco to deal with persistent line faults.
But wouldn't it be more fun to invite Aunty Charlotte up for the weekend with her guns n arrers?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #5034 on: 03 March, 2018, 08:23:44 pm »
Subsequent to an aborted mission and after an afternoon of modest thawing, #1 cub spent well over an hour digging out his car this afternoon.  He managed a short trip returning home just as the snow started piling down again!

« Reply #5035 on: 03 March, 2018, 08:43:13 pm »
I just panic bought a house litre of milk.  We'd completely run out and I was quite surprised that the local shop still had loads left.  Unlike the newspapers which haven't been seen for days.

Milk! :o We can only dream of the stuff round here. We managed to find a solitary pint of skimmed, and that was it. (Bread is similarly unobtainable, though I'm not bothered about that as I don't need bread in my coffee.)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5036 on: 03 March, 2018, 08:47:33 pm »
I just panic bought a house litre of milk.  We'd completely run out and I was quite surprised that the local shop still had loads left.  Unlike the newspapers which haven't been seen for days.

Milk! :o We can only dream of the stuff round here. We managed to find a solitary pint of skimmed, and that was it. (Bread is similarly unobtainable, though I'm not bothered about that as I don't need bread in my coffee.)

Plastic milk cartons freeze fine. I always have emergency milk in my freezer. I have 7 pints delivered in glass bottles every week.

« Reply #5037 on: 03 March, 2018, 08:53:04 pm »

Plastic milk cartons freeze fine. I always have emergency milk in my freezer. I have 7 pints delivered in glass bottles every week.

My parents in law always use long life milk so there is plenty of that here and I have powdered milk to use in my tea before I have to resort to the UHT.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5038 on: 03 March, 2018, 08:54:53 pm »
I have to report that Waitrose's shelves were laden with Good Things when I was there early this morning. I suspect that we in SE England have had rather less snow than many places but that our media has made more fuss about it.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #5039 on: 03 March, 2018, 09:04:06 pm »

Ah, my favourite soapbox. The following will be carefully worded because it’s something I have to approach somewhat obliquely even though it is one of my biggest bug bears of utility privatisation.
BT consumer, who you report your faults too, are a communications retailer, and like other communications retailers we are NOT allowed to talk to Openreach. It’s cost millions of pounds and years of my life to separate the processes and systems set up in the name of effectiveness and efficiency all in the name of <fx:DEEP VOICE> "consumer choice". Like all utility privatisations, the splitting off of the physical disruption layer of the infrastructure to allow multiple shyster service provider organisations is completely counter productive and works against quality of service and service provision security. It does however allow FRIENDS OF THE GOVERNMENT to enter the utilities market where it is most profitable and with little investment. Service is further reduced when The City "experts" weigh in and tell the operation companies how to run their organisations, because as you know a city boy knows more about running any given business than those with time and experience doing so. This leads to that other favourite money making scam of the FRIENDS OF THE GOVERNMENT, outsourcing. Once a business has reduced its numbers to city friendly levels there are inveribslly not enough people to actually do the work, so the company concerned has to get more bodies in. These extra bodies are bough in at the cheapest price offered, which will likely be more than it would cost the company to employ them properly, but it’s from a different part of the balance sheet so the city remain happy, but the bodies themselves will be paid less and have worse employment conditions than the main employees. Of course the outsourcing company have no vested interest in the effective running of the purchasing company, and so they squeeze their employees mercilessly to maximise their profits. The bought in bodies have neither the time nor the interest to do a good job, nor in most cases a safe job either.
Meanwhile, the retail provider happily blames Openreach for all your woes, while screaming about the cost of access, we’ll all the retail providers bar one, as we are categorically told NOT to blame Openreach.
Utilities are natural monopolies and in most cases are vital to the health and wellbeing of the country, running any of them in a fractured model for profit while imposing regulation on the whole "to promote competition" is wasteful, expensive and ineffective.
</rant>

Sorry, something I feel passionate about.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #5040 on: 03 March, 2018, 09:13:33 pm »
And it's stopped.   Please let that be it for this event.

Shorts next week.    :thumbsup:
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #5041 on: 03 March, 2018, 09:23:26 pm »

They do indeed.  I have two 1 litre plastic cartons filled with cow juice in our freezer as we speak.  They swell up nicely and defrost over about 8 hours at this time of year.   I am still fascinated by the formation of ice on the outside of the carton whilst defrosting takez place.   8)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5042 on: 03 March, 2018, 09:27:56 pm »
Lactofree milk drink[1] has a long shelf-life, as the bacterial load is reduced as a side-effect of the process.  We've still got several litres in the fridge from last week.

Of course, it's much easier to be un-BRITISH and not drink tea in the first place.

[1] They aren't allowed to call it milk.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5043 on: 03 March, 2018, 10:22:06 pm »
The lacto-free is unBRITISH cos it's Danish...

Ice forms on defrosting milk bottle cos warm kitchen air holds much moisture, which condenses and freezes on the bottle, which is still subzero.

Milk in 2 pint containers takes a whole weekend (60 hours) to defrost in my fridge.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5044 on: 04 March, 2018, 12:40:18 am »
Had a good run east this morning.

Apart from getting stuck in a snow drift two miles from home  :) ;D

Some digging and a passing Land Rover and we were on our way again
It is simpler than it looks.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5045 on: 04 March, 2018, 01:29:26 am »
All gone when I went out just after five pip-emma yesterday.  Raining in Islington an hour later.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #5046 on: 04 March, 2018, 07:46:10 am »
It's thawing. Watch out for all that water..
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #5047 on: 04 March, 2018, 10:43:38 am »
The lacto-free is unBRITISH cos it's Danish...

Ice forms on defrosting milk bottle cos warm kitchen air holds much moisture, which condenses and freezes on the bottle, which is still subzero.

Milk in 2 pint containers takes a whole weekend (60 hours) to defrost in my fridge.

We defrost it on the draining board. 4pints take about 12hrs. As it’s skimmed I don’t worry If it gets slightly warm, not much fat to go off.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #5048 on: 04 March, 2018, 10:44:41 am »
It's thawing. Watch out for all that water..

It certainly is. Visibly so in the last couple of hours. Now up to 6C and climbing.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ElyDave

« Reply #5049 on: 04 March, 2018, 12:57:25 pm »
Out on the old MTB with road tyres this morning, on the back lanes. Expecting 6-7C but actually 2-3, I came across several areas of road full of about a foot of melting slushdrift resulting in me getting off and walking. 

Lots of big snowballs with carrotsbon the floor in front gardens.