Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639459 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #5225 on: 30 January, 2019, 05:43:16 pm »
Nothing to write home about in the fens, it's stayed on the grass and garage roofs, but gone pretty quickly on the roads.

I still opted for a turbo session though, a) couldn't be arsed to clean the bike and b) un-sunned patches of ice on fenland back roads are not uncommon, and usually lurk around a corner
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #5226 on: 30 January, 2019, 06:18:48 pm »
The main roads between Sheffield & Rotherham were clear, a light sprinkling on the pavements and ice where there wasn't any grit

« Reply #5227 on: 30 January, 2019, 09:24:58 pm »
No snow here but an ::-)y ungritted roads were very icey this morning .not a problem with the trice of course  ;) O:-). I will fit my marathon winter tyre on the trice for Friday morning to make it more likely to for it to warm up and rain  ::-)
the slower you go the more you see

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #5228 on: 30 January, 2019, 09:31:32 pm »
A BFO snowplough has just driven past.
It's not snowing.
I assume it is going to.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5229 on: 31 January, 2019, 12:01:37 am »
No snow in Southend, but my day out with a non-YACF pal was re-graded to a walk. I saw the forecast of rain followed by frost, snow and ice so we met at Ingatestone station (Rebecca comes from London) and walked to Stock and back, just over 8 miles. The first few hundred yards on metalled road into Stock were really treacherous and we congratulated each other on our good decision. Cycling on those minor roads would have been impossible.

There was a dusting of snow which first manifested itself in the Hockley area when I came in on the train. It was a lovely sunny day, though, and when I was waiting fro my connection at Shenfield, there was a roof opposite me that was covered in snow, but I was lovely and warm sitting in the sun on platform 3.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5230 on: 31 January, 2019, 08:20:48 am »
About 3 cm here. Dogs love it. I cleared the pavement outside and MrsT salted it. Much jolly bonding with neighbours bent to the same task.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #5231 on: 31 January, 2019, 09:43:46 am »
Just freezing fog here!

« Reply #5232 on: 31 January, 2019, 01:06:43 pm »
Just freezing fog here!

Same here in Shropshire, but then as the fog began to lift, what was the fog came down as very fine snow, i.e. frozen drizzle. Quite strange.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5233 on: 31 January, 2019, 02:55:19 pm »
is Amber worse than Yellow? Or just less acrid??
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
« Reply #5234 on: 31 January, 2019, 02:57:26 pm »
We had a couple of flakes before lunch.  But it has just got very dark ........
Advena ego sum in Terra

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #5235 on: 31 January, 2019, 03:02:37 pm »
No snow here, clear skies and cold. There's a fair bit of ice coming down the river into the harbour just now. That's got the attention of my cow-orkers!

ETA - you may see it here:
http://www.seacroftmarine.com/webcams/ or http://www.seacroftmarine.com/webcams/south/

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #5236 on: 31 January, 2019, 05:58:05 pm »
We've been having dire warnings of the Four Snowploughs of the Apocalypse all day now.
It didn't happen!  Saw a couple of flakes about 3ish and that was it.  :(
There goes my perfect excuse not to go to the gym tonight.
Also, because the bin men are also the gritters and snowplough drivers, they've spent the day parked up on the various high points of the local A roads havin' an fag and looking at their phones while all the recycling bags and food bins are now blowing around the street because they've not been collected.

Bah!
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5237 on: 31 January, 2019, 06:04:03 pm »
We've had some strong flurries here and then it went very dark.

So we can't see anything...
It is simpler than it looks.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5238 on: 31 January, 2019, 06:05:44 pm »
Nowt here today but it's been nippy all day
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #5239 on: 31 January, 2019, 06:40:23 pm »
It is now snowing in Pompey, though it's not settling.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #5240 on: 31 January, 2019, 07:23:57 pm »
It started snowing in Radyr, Cardiff this evening. My street is white apart from a couple of inconsiderate car drivers leaving tracks to spoil the pristine snow.

« Reply #5241 on: 31 January, 2019, 09:06:02 pm »
Snow now falling and settling in Bracknell.

« Reply #5242 on: 31 January, 2019, 09:31:49 pm »
It has started, in Forest Hill.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5243 on: 31 January, 2019, 09:46:53 pm »
Just started in Swindon.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #5244 on: 31 January, 2019, 09:51:51 pm »
Let's be honest - overnight we're unlikely to get the 1.5m dumps (not drifts) that the two Hungarian women, with whom I share an office, experience when they go home at this time of year.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5245 on: 31 January, 2019, 10:31:49 pm »
A bunch of lads have spent the last ten minutes pushing, revving and sliding a Skoda Octavia 100m or so up the slight slope on our side street. It looks very wet, soggy snow. Cudzo Jnr has been told (by Cudzo Mrs) that he should wear wellies for his paper round in the morning. He's hoping school (which is even nearer than the paper round) will be cancelled.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5246 on: 31 January, 2019, 10:43:19 pm »
Let's be honest - overnight we're unlikely to get the 1.5m dumps (not drifts) that the two Hungarian women, with whom I share an office, experience when they go home at this time of year.

There's no doubt that a 1.5m dump is impressive.

Here, in Somerset, we have light fluffy stuff.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #5247 on: 31 January, 2019, 10:54:44 pm »
I spoke too soon. - it started settling at some point between my previous post and this one. Not much though, probably a centimetre or so...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #5248 on: 31 January, 2019, 10:56:23 pm »
Nothing in Liverpool , though the pavements near my flat still have a good coating of ice & are pretty treacherous.  The city centre is clear, but I'm about 28 metres higher, and that makes quite a difference.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #5249 on: 31 January, 2019, 11:08:03 pm »
An inch or so here in South Oxfordshire. Just back from seeing a Canadian band who were bemused by our anticipation of the snowfall.