Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639469 times)

Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #5625 on: 09 February, 2021, 07:48:43 am »
I did some work at the Glenlivet distillery a few years ago.
We stayed in Tomintoul.
There was snow, but nothing like the amount shown in Feanor's photos.
We've had more overnight, and it continues to dandruff at the moment.

« Reply #5626 on: 09 February, 2021, 07:52:05 am »
Snowing lightly in Docklands at the moment.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5627 on: 09 February, 2021, 08:22:44 am »
Thought I'd go out and throw another couple of shovels on the hill – a fair amount of grit has disappeared, I assume the people on the private street beyond ours tending to their drives, paths and parking spaces, someone came out to tell they'd someone had been filling a wheelbarrow.

I'm not sure how they figure on getting in-and-out if there's no grit for the hill, there's no other exit.

As long as their drives are clear, that’s the council’s problem.  ;D

Gritting private property with council grit is theft.

You don’t need a huge amount to clear ice either, it’s when it rains that there is a problem. Various bits of advice out there say a handful per sq m or a tablespoon per sq m. A shovel will do loads and a wheelbarrow, well, that’ll keep the bears away.

Here the country fills up in Autumn, than tries to refill about now. People used a lot of grit on their drives two weeks ago and there was none available in any of the depots or suppliers. They’ve been refilled now.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #5628 on: 09 February, 2021, 08:23:55 am »
The inch or so of snow yesterday morning partly melted in the almost balmy warmth of the afternoon as the mercury clawed it's way up above freezing, just.  It was just enough to put a coating of water atop the pavements and roads before temperatures plunged well below zero creating some spectacular ice rinks around the town.  A further cake-dusting of snow fails to hide fully what is beneath.

I shall leave leg-breaking activities to greater fools than I again today.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5629 on: 09 February, 2021, 09:21:35 am »
It seems to have stopped now.

Spoke too soon - more snow overnight. Enough to provide a fresh crisp blanket for the dog to roll around in this morning. Still some light flakes floating about in the air. Haven’t looked to see if the road is clear yet but the bin collections have been suspended.

All seems a bit half hearted compared to what Feanor has up his way though.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #5630 on: 09 February, 2021, 09:34:43 am »
Thought I'd go out and throw another couple of shovels on the hill – a fair amount of grit has disappeared, I assume the people on the private street beyond ours tending to their drives, paths and parking spaces, someone came out to tell they'd someone had been filling a wheelbarrow.

I'm not sure how they figure on getting in-and-out if there's no grit for the hill, there's no other exit.

As long as their drives are clear, that’s the council’s problem.  ;D

Gritting private property with council grit is theft.

You don’t need a huge amount to clear ice either, it’s when it rains that there is a problem. Various bits of advice out there say a handful per sq m or a tablespoon per sq m. A shovel will do loads and a wheelbarrow, well, that’ll keep the bears away.

Here the country fills up in Autumn, than tries to refill about now. People used a lot of grit on their drives two weeks ago and there was none available in any of the depots or suppliers. They’ve been refilled now.

I wouldn't mind, but it's me and a couple of other residents who ensure they can get in and out, and that's the grit we use (and I've no plans to use the car till things thaw, but I'd like the bins to emptied). There is one access road (which belongs to the council), everything beyond that is unadopted. Anyway, I'm not the grit police, I sent a note to the council asking them to refill (one of the benefits is that our nearby neighbours are the district and county councillors, in the same house for convenience and, outstanding for Surrey, aren't Conservatives). I've never seen the council grit the hill, so I wouldn't hold out my hopes.

« Reply #5631 on: 09 February, 2021, 09:47:36 am »
A bit more light snow overnight, and a few wisps right now. Everything nice and crisp.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5632 on: 09 February, 2021, 10:23:23 am »
It's so cold and dry outside that the overnight ice on cars is subliming rather than melting.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5633 on: 09 February, 2021, 10:25:38 am »
No snow, but we have an icicle on (the outside of) one window.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #5634 on: 09 February, 2021, 11:03:28 am »
It was -4C outside when I got up, and the BBC Weather app shows it going down to -8C tonight. It's official: it's cold. And I am reminded (yet again) why I've never taken a winter holiday anywhere snowy.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #5635 on: 09 February, 2021, 12:27:42 pm »
At last a proper snow shower.

IMG_7556_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #5636 on: 09 February, 2021, 02:21:08 pm »
Minus nine here but very dry and the wind has dropped so I was outside emptying the bins without a coat and wasn’t cold. The sun is out so some sno is melting now.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5637 on: 09 February, 2021, 02:52:22 pm »
The feeble dusting we had left at 6:30 this morning has mostly gorn, disparu like Mother’s mink and Larrington Gardens Road, which turns into a skating rink when we get Proper SNO, seems ice-free.  Judging by the way that motor-bicyclist utterly failed to lock both wheels and slide helplessly into the side of a W15 bus just now anyway.

This is a Rubbish.  I demand the SNOS of Yesteryear >:(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #5638 on: 09 February, 2021, 04:15:25 pm »
Pleasing quilt of snow here on the Northernly Downs. Cats are less impressed.

I grinked the council for more grit. 'We only fill the grit bins in summer,' they say. Cool, if this holds out, I'm getting popcorn and waiting to see what happens. I once saw an estate agent's crapmobile slide past. Sadly, without the estate agent (or for that matter, anyone) in it.

« Reply #5639 on: 09 February, 2021, 04:43:34 pm »
Here in Londres Sud the dandruff continues to tumble from the skies at a rate which would leave Mr. Larrington disappointed.

ian

« Reply #5640 on: 09 February, 2021, 08:16:01 pm »
Bin collections cancelled. It truly is the snopocalypse.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #5641 on: 09 February, 2021, 08:25:02 pm »
This lot was a bit loud
2021-02-09_08-09-08 by The Pingus, on Flickr

The chemist in me says it looks like NaOH pellets.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #5642 on: 09 February, 2021, 10:43:12 pm »
River Don today:

IMG_7565_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

rogerzilla

« Reply #5643 on: 10 February, 2021, 07:11:56 am »
Pleasing quilt of snow here on the Northernly Downs. Cats are less impressed.

I grinked the council for more grit. 'We only fill the grit bins in summer,' they say. Cool, if this holds out, I'm getting popcorn and waiting to see what happens. I once saw an estate agent's crapmobile slide past. Sadly, without the estate agent (or for that matter, anyone) in it.
Like this classic?

https://youtu.be/7MPRmOUxRMY

"It's ok, I can drive on a bit of ice.

"I think I can save this.

"BALE OUT! WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST!"

ian

« Reply #5644 on: 10 February, 2021, 09:33:18 am »
The idiot had parked on the cusp of the hill (doing double business by blocking the junction). On ice. And then gone to attend to his estate agency business. We were leaving and the empty car slid by. Fortunately, there was enough grit to slow it down (it's a 23% gradient) but it still reached the road at the bottom and pranged another car parked on the double-yellows. I cried a lot for them both. Had it been ice all the way down and there not been a car in the way, it would have been in someone's living room.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5645 on: 10 February, 2021, 10:30:18 am »
This lot was a bit loud
2021-02-09_08-09-08 by The Pingus, on Flickr

The chemist in me says it looks like NaOH pellets.

I thought you were a pingu, not a skylark!  ;)

(click to show/hide)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5646 on: 10 February, 2021, 10:37:45 am »
The idiot had parked on the cusp of the hill (doing double business by blocking the junction). On ice. And then gone to attend to his estate agency business. We were leaving and the empty car slid by. Fortunately, there was enough grit to slow it down (it's a 23% gradient) but it still reached the road at the bottom and pranged another car parked on the double-yellows. I cried a lot for them both. Had it been ice all the way down and there not been a car in the way, it would have been in someone's living room.
Mistake agent living up to his name.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #5647 on: 10 February, 2021, 05:17:51 pm »
On the spur of the moment I escaped from work and went to build a snow cat in the garden for mental health & outside, but the snow was not good snow beast building snow, chiz.
One of the cats did deign to come out and have a stick game though, so I enjoyed watching her bounding through the fluffy stuff :)

@wowbagger, no wonder I had no idea what you were on about.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5648 on: 11 February, 2021, 08:09:28 am »
Not snowing here any more, but so bloody cold that the bolts in our front door that hold the knocker on had rime on them this morning.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

rogerzilla

« Reply #5649 on: 11 February, 2021, 08:19:08 am »
Almost -6 here and incredibly dry.  A good day to get more wood in from outside.