Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639372 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #5650 on: 11 February, 2021, 08:38:28 am »
I wonder if the post will turn up today. We haven’t seen a postal delivery worker since the weekend, so when they do resume deliveries the poor delivery bod is going to have a very heavy sack.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #5651 on: 11 February, 2021, 10:29:41 am »
The promised -8 never arrived. The lowest it got to was -3. I assume we had unforecast cloud cover.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #5652 on: 11 February, 2021, 10:32:38 am »
We got down to -5.5 here.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #5653 on: 11 February, 2021, 10:49:08 am »
Still -4 here. Full sunshine, powdery snow, bloody freezing. Lovely.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5654 on: 11 February, 2021, 01:10:48 pm »
-13.7 overnight.  When I opened the box to get the post this morning there was a mini-snowdrift up one end where the poudreuse had inveigled its way round the door.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #5655 on: 11 February, 2021, 05:20:15 pm »
-3 in Slough last night 🌙.
the slower you go the more you see

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #5656 on: 11 February, 2021, 05:50:48 pm »
I think we got down to -6.  Previous night was even colder.  Three nights running I have slept with the sash window firmly closed.  Virtually unheard of for me.
Looks like Saturday will be the last cold day for us.  Rapid rise in temperature over Sunday and Monday.  Which of course means rain.   :(
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5657 on: 11 February, 2021, 05:58:32 pm »
We had conflicting forecasts for last night. The BBC told us it would be -5°C. The Met Office, -2°C. The minimum was -2.5°, at 10.45pm. I think the clouds moved in then.

The BBC forecast -7°C for South Hanningfield, the nearest to my brother's place. I'm pretty sure it got nowhere near that. The temperature has just dipped below freezing for us.

Either side of midday, the sun is quite strong. I once had a solar-heated shower in the first week of February when it had been frosty all day. This melts the snow on the roads, which then promptly freezes to sheet ice. Lovely.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #5658 on: 11 February, 2021, 06:00:24 pm »
Dunno what it got down to but our cheapo plastic thing said -9.6 when I got up. (I forgot to see what the temp in my 'office' was when I went up there to put the heater on).
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #5659 on: 11 February, 2021, 06:31:54 pm »

There's something unusual about this snowman - or so my pal Penny* tells me. Can anyone spot it? The photo was taken not long before sunset so it might be hard. But I think there's a big clue in the picture...

*It's in her neighbour's garden.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5660 on: 11 February, 2021, 07:50:52 pm »
Apart from the scarf?

See also: using penguins to advertise central heating.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #5661 on: 11 February, 2021, 08:42:32 pm »
We had conflicting forecasts for last night. The BBC told us it would be -5°C. The Met Office, -2°C. The minimum was -2.5°, at 10.45pm. I think the clouds moved in then.

The BBC forecast -7°C for South Hanningfield, the nearest to my brother's place. I'm pretty sure it got nowhere near that. The temperature has just dipped below freezing for us.

Either side of midday, the sun is quite strong. I once had a solar-heated shower in the first week of February when it had been frosty all day. This melts the snow on the roads, which then promptly freezes to sheet ice. Lovely.

I think the cloud cover extended to a little north of me. Plenty of places in Norfolk recorded the forecast -8, but the lowest my gadget recorded was -3. It got to +0.6C today, but it's back down to -2.4 now. Looks like we might get a proper thaw on Sunday.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5662 on: 11 February, 2021, 09:18:34 pm »
Its mouth is cut out of its head rather than drawn on.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #5663 on: 11 February, 2021, 10:10:01 pm »
There's something unusual about this snowman ...

It doesn't look snow white nor snow-shaped; I suspect it is not made of snow. Perhaps the bucket of white paint or whatever it is has something to do with it.

Correct! Penny tells me it's made of plastic. The clue is the fact that the snow round about shows no sign whatever of having had a big ball of snow rolled over it.

That family has kids. To me, the whole point about a snowman is the act of building it, not the fact that you can buy one ready-made from Asda or wherever and just put it up in the garden.

I wonder if it will still be there in July?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5664 on: 11 February, 2021, 10:42:11 pm »
That family has kids. To me, the whole point about a snowman is the act of building it, not the fact that you can buy one ready-made from Asda or wherever and just put it up in the garden.

I suppose such a thing would make sense as a Christmas Decoration, in the general absence of actual snow.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5665 on: 12 February, 2021, 02:08:39 pm »
What a bizarre idea! Did they only put it out after the snow fell? If it was there all winter then it would kind of make sense. Can imagine it being popular in, say, Australia.

« Reply #5666 on: 12 February, 2021, 03:11:47 pm »
How many kids do they have? Maybe the decoration off a very large Xmas cake  ;D

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #5667 on: 12 February, 2021, 09:07:46 pm »
The BBC news reported yesterday that Braemar had recorded -23, the lowest in the UK for 25 years.
So where better to go for a bit of skiing.

We were a bit tardy in setting out, and it was mid-day by the time we got there.
The car was showing a balmy -16 at that point.

It was pretty nippy, and gloves-off activity like messing around with kit needed to be kept to a minimum.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5668 on: 12 February, 2021, 09:13:09 pm »
Still no snow here but it is about -4. Having been working all day and then other stuff, I went out about 7:30 and noticed a few things related to cold weather:
  • The roads have been gritted. Not our street, which runs more or less horizontally along the side of a hill, but the hill itself, even though it only gets local trafffic.
  • Near the bottom of the hill, there was a burst water main. Water flowing across the entire width of the street just where it's at its steepest – almost 20% – and maybe 50m from the T-junction at the bottom. That's going to be fun.
  • A woman out running in a strappy sleeveless top.
  • A man ambling along in shorts.
  • On my way back, two police cars guarding the now frozen bottom of the hill. I wondered why it needed two cars, but it turns out they're all single-manned vehicles for the duration, but they're still required to be in pairs.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #5669 on: 13 February, 2021, 08:27:11 am »
Snowing again here.  I doubt it will amount to much.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5670 on: 13 February, 2021, 02:12:17 pm »
Same here.

« Reply #5671 on: 13 February, 2021, 03:20:26 pm »
Just horizontal sleet here.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #5672 on: 13 February, 2021, 03:26:00 pm »
It's just windy as feck here, which judging by the local FB news group is causing chaos on the roads outside town due to drifting snow. Why people can't stay at home I don't know.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5673 on: 13 February, 2021, 04:22:30 pm »
The bottom of the hill is taped off with the addition of a fancy snowflake road sign. Most of the ice has gone but there's enough left to show that was about an inch thick the entire width of the road, including a bit of the pavement (yes, I know the pavement is part of the road).

« Reply #5674 on: 13 February, 2021, 04:32:35 pm »
I don't run the CH overnight, but at 06:00am outside  was showing -6°C which, if you include the wind factor, clocks it at -12°C.
Indoor temperature at that point was 12°C.
It took the CH until ~ 14:00 to reach a survivable temp of 19°C