Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639572 times)

Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #1700 on: 29 November, 2010, 06:31:51 pm »
I didn't get to Germany yesterday. Set off with four hours to spare for the hours drive to the airport. Was OK until I got to York ring road where a blizzard hit and it took one and a half hours to get to the Harrogate turn off. OK again if very slow through the blizzard to Green Hammerton whereupon I hit stationary traffic and queued for over three hours to cross the A1 and get as far as Knaresborough was hoping the plane had been delayed. The after five hours total travel time and still not passed Harrogate they announced on the radio that the airport was shut. Gave up and came home. Which only took an hour as the traffic was lighter in the other direction letting the snow ploughs and gritters do their work. York bypass was also clear by the time I got to it. The police had closed several roads including the York to Scarborough one and the Driffield to Malton one (50 cars stuck in teh snow).
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #1701 on: 29 November, 2010, 07:05:31 pm »
Charterhall, the light in that first photo is amazing :D It almost looks like a studio 8)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

gordon taylor

« Reply #1702 on: 29 November, 2010, 07:18:34 pm »
My BiL/SiL spent last night with 600 other people in a community centre somewhere in Perth. They were trying to drive back to Glasgow having visited their newborn grandson in Aberdeen.

Mother and baby are fine, thanks.  :thumbsup:

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1703 on: 29 November, 2010, 07:20:34 pm »
Charterhall, the light in that first photo is amazing :D It almost looks like a studio 8)

I'm sure I've seen that birdtablelamppost in a film recently?

It is simpler than it looks.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1704 on: 29 November, 2010, 08:10:03 pm »
Had a bit of a moment here when the car I was a passenger in failed to stop approaching the RAB. To avoid the car sitting first in the queue in the left hand lane the driver dived on to the pavement and ended up parked right alongside the car 1st in the queue, without touching anything else fortunately.
Even more fortunately there were no peds on the pavement.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1705 on: 29 November, 2010, 09:04:05 pm »
Just got this msg from Mybruvva:
the bastards at work sent the office staff home at 3:00 "on safety grounds" but didn't send any of us home. What a bunch of wankers.
nice
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

noisycrank

• twitter @noisycrank
« Reply #1706 on: 29 November, 2010, 09:31:17 pm »
Bit snowy here gravestone affro

If you don't like my haircut you can suck my socks!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1707 on: 29 November, 2010, 10:42:48 pm »
We've had almost a cm of snow here.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Martin

« Reply #1708 on: 29 November, 2010, 11:21:34 pm »
same here;

I've a horrible feeling it's the Wrong Kind  :-\

« Reply #1709 on: 29 November, 2010, 11:23:53 pm »
Sleet and a headwind on the cards for me in the morning :( I really hope it is not so.

simonp

« Reply #1710 on: 30 November, 2010, 12:23:15 am »
I had a lovely ride home. Snow tyres meant I went to play on the cycle path rather than my usual road route. I passed a few miserable looking cyclists pushing their bikes home in the not very deep snow. It was lovely; I reacquainted myself with the handling and experimented a few times with trying to lose rear wheel traction standing on the pedals. It can be done, but you don't completely lose traction as the studs dig in once the wheel starts to slip, I think. And if you stay sat down there is loads of traction, and going up steep slopes was easy.

Great fun, and snow tyres turn riding in snow from a chore to a giggle.

Chris S

« Reply #1711 on: 30 November, 2010, 01:38:24 am »
Hooray - the snow has turned to rain, and the remaining snow on the ground is melting  :thumbsup:.

So that's a 1/10 for trying to the Met Office then, who were predicting snomageddon here...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1712 on: 30 November, 2010, 01:38:51 am »
I must have done something terrible in a previous life, though possibly not as terrible as this gentleman:

as we currently hav not only no SNO here in NE Londonton but not even an icy-windscreen-stylee frost.

If there is still none tomorow morning I shall be Cross.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1713 on: 30 November, 2010, 02:23:41 am »
Definite traces of Jesus' dandruff falling in Brum...

gordon taylor

« Reply #1714 on: 30 November, 2010, 05:45:51 am »
Pfff.

Less than an inch here. The midlands were geared up for the apocalypse after last night's forecast.

>:(

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #1715 on: 30 November, 2010, 06:09:24 am »
It is snowing in London today.  Fine stuff- not settling on the main roads but a little covering on the back streets.  Hmmm.  The Roughstuff still has no gear cables, brake pads or handlebar tape.  Main road commute should be Ok on the SS.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #1716 on: 30 November, 2010, 07:24:28 am »
Snowing again when I woke up.  I'm just off to try and battle through it to get to the office (walking).  I might be gone some time.
Aero but not dynamic

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #1717 on: 30 November, 2010, 07:26:39 am »
I don't care that it's not much.

There is snow on the ground and I'm taking Regina to work... :thumbsup:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

LindaG

« Reply #1718 on: 30 November, 2010, 07:27:01 am »

Pack of mongrels.

It wasn;t quite the perfect winter wonderland in Darlo - at one point I was riding behind a car going about 5 mph, and in front of another car, the driver of which was seriously over-revving his engine, and I wondered if I might be the meat in the sandwich.  He eventually overtook us both, only for me to go past two minutes later in the queue for the lights ::-)

South Park was stunning, though.  Being the first to cycle in 7 or 8 inches of new snow certainly warmed me up.

Yeah, gotta love the 'engine just behind my right ear' experience, combined with the 'might come off at any minute' for maximum edge of the saddle excitement.  And the special fun of seeing cars slide down the road 'cos there's no traction, knowing that the driver behind you has left no stopping distance.

I might go for a walk by the river today to remind myself that snow is a good thing, in the right place.

Only a very thin new layer this morning.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1719 on: 30 November, 2010, 07:29:58 am »
Sno in S Bucks and Herts today, M25 clear.

Slid across the car park (main routes are clear, but slippery once you get off them!)

Wonder how long it is before I call it a day and head back to the flat?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1720 on: 30 November, 2010, 07:32:43 am »
A fresh dump overnight.It will be interesting to see if we can get off the Close onto the main road which is passable .

« Reply #1721 on: 30 November, 2010, 07:34:12 am »
knowing that the driver behind you has left no stopping distance.

I might go for a walk by the river today to remind myself that snow is a good thing, in the right place.

It's warmed up (1.3) and melting in York - but due to drop to -3 and more snow this arvo. So guess what that means? Snow on top of ice.

Working from home today - plumber hopefully coming in to fix boiler, which I want to make sure happens.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1722 on: 30 November, 2010, 07:40:31 am »
Not much overnight in Brum.
I'm taking the train, but that's because I feel crap, not 'cos of sno.  Honest.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

LindaG

« Reply #1723 on: 30 November, 2010, 07:43:18 am »
knowing that the driver behind you has left no stopping distance.

It's warmed up (1.3) and melting in York - but due to drop to -3 and more snow this arvo. So guess what that means? Snow on top of ice.

Working from home today - plumber hopefully coming in to fix boiler, which I want to make sure happens.
Tell him to come by mountain bike!   :D

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1724 on: 30 November, 2010, 07:44:25 am »
We have quite a dusting. Yay! (it has warmed up considerably too)

It is simpler than it looks.