Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639475 times)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #1725 on: 30 November, 2010, 08:04:31 am »
Dusting here in Wimbledon too.

« Reply #1726 on: 30 November, 2010, 08:12:32 am »
And yet more snow. As it isn't warm enough to thaw it's getting deeper each day.

Last night whilst I was waiting to catch the bus home we had snow and lightning :o - never seen that before.
It didn't look at all like that in the photographs

« Reply #1727 on: 30 November, 2010, 08:14:34 am »
Dusting in East Berks, all roads except the residential cul-de-sac clear.

want more snow but please to be letting me get home from work first!!

« Reply #1728 on: 30 November, 2010, 08:17:53 am »
About three, slushy, inches and a light sleet falling at almost-but-not-quite-dawn o'clock today.

Very wet snow and I don't think it'll last two days!

edit: BICBW as it is now a heavy snow shower!  ::-)

« Reply #1729 on: 30 November, 2010, 08:40:57 am »
Very light dusting here - but it is now snowing again (small, wet flakes).

Unfortunately I need to drive into London today  :(

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1730 on: 30 November, 2010, 08:42:49 am »

That is a most extraordinary mirror, most magical!
It is simpler than it looks.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #1731 on: 30 November, 2010, 09:08:51 am »
And yet more snow. As it isn't warm enough to thaw it's getting deeper each day.

Last night whilst I was waiting to catch the bus home we had snow and lightning :o - never seen that before.
Yes, we've had that up here the past couple of nights. Wierd.
The first time I experienced that was on the Easter Arrow a couple of years ago, riding with Mr & Mrs Megajoules, McNasty and otherdave. It was in the middle of the night, on the plateau after the slither up Sutton Bank. Terrifying. But I don't like to talk about it.  :-X
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #1732 on: 30 November, 2010, 09:11:02 am »
In excess of 2 mm of snow on the cars this morning here in WGC.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1733 on: 30 November, 2010, 09:12:28 am »
It's snowing here this morning, which is not surprising since we live about half a mile from Del, who has already reported snow in his neck of the woods.

It looks as though the temperature is above freezing though. However, snow tyres onto the bike today I think.

More to come on Thurs then warmer on Saturday, according to the Met Office.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1734 on: 30 November, 2010, 09:31:15 am »
When I turned the radio on this morning I was really scared by what I heard. I thought world war three had started somewhere in mid Essex. Imagine my relief when all the fuss was about a couple of inches of snow....  ::-)
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #1735 on: 30 November, 2010, 09:33:42 am »
Devon really isn't trying.  Not like the refrozen slush-gutters of granny-spinning DETH on the M8 yesterday morning...
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #1736 on: 30 November, 2010, 09:42:05 am »
First snow in Manchester, up to 1/2" in places  :)

LEE

« Reply #1737 on: 30 November, 2010, 09:44:40 am »
When I turned the radio on this morning I was really scared by what I heard. I thought world war three had started somewhere in mid Essex. Imagine my relief when all the fuss was about a couple of inches of snow....  ::-)

It's bloody stupid isn't it.

Snow is weather, it should be part of the weather bulletin.  For some reason snow, in Winter, is the main news item.

I'm sick of seeing some shivering reporter stood in a street, covered with a light dusting of snow, talking as if some Martian invasion was taking place.

"Here is the main story, it's Snowing in November.  Now here is the weather.....It's November, it's cold and it's snowing a bit...now over to your regional news....it's cold and looks like it may snow soon...now here's the local weather....it's snowing...now back to London for the main news story....it's November, it's cold and it's Snowing....Don't miss tonight's Panorama where we investigate why it always seems to get cold and snowy around this time of year, scientists seem to agree that it may be linked to Winter"

Someone tell me if it's snowing in August and I'll be surprised

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #1738 on: 30 November, 2010, 10:55:59 am »
Out of my office window in North West London a little earlier this morning:

It's going in fits and starts now, but there's still plenty of scope for settling...
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Chris S

« Reply #1739 on: 30 November, 2010, 11:06:38 am »
It's newsworthy because people expect to be able to go about their lives no matter what. We've lost our connection with the outside world, and think it's our god-given right to live like it was a benign day in June, all year round.

When nature intervenes, we feel violated. We look for someone to blame - "Why weren't the roads gritted? You knew this was going to happen a week ago!".

We've lost the ability to adapt to the environment we find ourselves in. It's sad. A bit pitiful really.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1740 on: 30 November, 2010, 11:10:48 am »

Someone tell me if it's snowing in August and I'll be surprised

There was a hotly disputed report in the 1970s some time when John Arlott reported that snow had stopped play in a June match at Ilkeston, Derbyshire.

I do recall a very amusing day in May, circa 1966, when my dad decided to mow the lawn. It started snowing very hard but, having begun, he wouldn't stop. The rest of the family watched with great mirth from the warmth of the front room.

This was 18th May and has become one of those frequently told family tales. The date was easy for us to remember because it was my sister's birthday.

« Reply #1741 on: 30 November, 2010, 11:22:10 am »
It was supposed to be at Buxton wasn't it?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1742 on: 30 November, 2010, 11:33:53 am »
It was supposed to be at Buxton wasn't it?
Famously, snow stopped play at a county cricket match between Derbyshire and Lancashire in Buxton, where snow reached an inch deep. Snow also delayed play between Essex and Kent at Colchester, accompanied by midday temperatures of 2oC (36oF), and John Arlott reported snow at a cricket match at Lord's.

is taken from http://www.buxtoncc.org/Snow%20Stopped%20Play.doc .

Perhaps there were two incidents? The main reason it sticks in my mind was that Arlott was called a liar by someone else who was there and the whole thing dragged on in the Grauniad for quite some time. The quote I've found certainly confirms that snow stopped play in Buxton, but if Arlott was reporting snow at Lords he couldn't have been in Derbyshire. Unless, of course, he was reporting a match from the comfort of the saloon bar and simply forgot where he was. He was the Grauniad's wine correspondent as well as writing on cricket.

Oh well, such is ancient history.

border-rider

« Reply #1743 on: 30 November, 2010, 11:39:09 am »
I can remember a fair snow fall on the Great Orme at Llandudno one June in the late 70s. 

« Reply #1744 on: 30 November, 2010, 11:40:26 am »
I've heard the story a million times and its never the same! The only consistent parts are Derbyshire, Lancashire, Clive Lloyd and Dickie Bird. Other than that it may or may not have happened anywhere in the world!

Chris S

« Reply #1745 on: 30 November, 2010, 11:48:42 am »
#2 son has a snow day, which is interesting since it rained last night and a lot of what little snow there was, melted.

This country's gone fucking crazy...  :facepalm:

border-rider

« Reply #1746 on: 30 November, 2010, 11:49:34 am »
Just enough snow here to deter much distance being put from the cat flap :)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1747 on: 30 November, 2010, 11:53:46 am »
I have fitted my Schwalbe Snow tyres and will be using them for a commute in a few minutes.

I have postponed my after-school session today. The forecast is bad and even if the school doesn't close, and extra hour involving going home in the dark is not what parents will want.

border-rider

« Reply #1748 on: 30 November, 2010, 11:56:25 am »
I was supposed to be going to Slough today, by train.  I got up and decided it was a bad idea. I might have got stuck there- or even Swindon   :o

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #1749 on: 30 November, 2010, 11:58:36 am »
Just enough snow here to deter much distance being put from the cat flap :)

Our street yesterday

And what Mia The Cat thinks of the snow
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.