Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639552 times)

Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #1750 on: 30 November, 2010, 12:04:19 pm »
Reading's getting it at last. There was a thin layer on the ground this morning, & it's snowing again now.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1751 on: 30 November, 2010, 12:06:27 pm »
I've given up on the spiked tyres. I was walking, pushing the bike to get on to the (completely clear) main road off our estate and fell while crossing a side road which had been completely polished to sheet ice. I then landed on the bike, whimpered a bit and then tried to push it back home, which was interesting as the wheel doesn't turn very well anymore. Bike and arse are a bit bent.

Yes, I know I'm a disgrace to cycling kind, but I don't care anymore. I've got my little snow boots fitted with my yaktrax so at least I can stay upright now.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1752 on: 30 November, 2010, 12:15:33 pm »
I can remember a fair snow fall on the Great Orme at Llandudno one June in the late 70s. 

I remember that too.My son was amazed to have snow on his birthday :)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1753 on: 30 November, 2010, 12:18:18 pm »
Just hearing various bods on the radio talking about how 'brutal' this weather is. >:(

It's just weather!  Of the sort we can expect in winter.  Moderately unusual for November, but not out of the ordinary at all.
Getting there...

« Reply #1754 on: 30 November, 2010, 12:20:19 pm »
I like that my weather forecast now has snow settling on it  :D

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #1755 on: 30 November, 2010, 12:23:01 pm »
Just hearing various bods on the radio talking about how 'brutal' this weather is. >:(

It's just weather!  Of the sort we can expect in winter.  Moderately unusual for November, but not out of the ordinary at all.

To be fair, some of the temperatures recorded recently have been record lows.  And over the next few days it will get worse as the easterly winds pick up.

I went out earlier and the temperature dropped a couple of degrees in half an hour as the wind chill kicked in.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #1756 on: 30 November, 2010, 12:37:15 pm »

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1757 on: 30 November, 2010, 12:49:58 pm »
My buff, hat & gloves are warm on the radiator.  My socks are still not dry on the top of the boiler (I hope the heating engineer doesn't turn up right now :-\ ).

I'm actually looking forward to getting out there again later.
Getting there...

LindaG

« Reply #1758 on: 30 November, 2010, 01:03:38 pm »
I've given up on the spiked tyres. I was walking, pushing the bike to get on to the (completely clear) main road off our estate and fell while crossing a side road which had been completely polished to sheet ice. I then landed on the bike, whimpered a bit and then tried to push it back home, which was interesting as the wheel doesn't turn very well anymore. Bike and arse are a bit bent.

Yes, I know I'm a disgrace to cycling kind, but I don't care anymore. I've got my little snow boots fitted with my yaktrax so at least I can stay upright now.

Once the white stuff has gone those tyres will be much more useful.  Now I've got the bike home I'm walking everywhere.  It is much safer than driving or riding.  I walked past someone sliding down the road in his car just now - sideways  :facepalm: 

« Reply #1759 on: 30 November, 2010, 01:04:38 pm »
I can remember a fair snow fall on the Great Orme at Llandudno one June in the late 70s. 
Snowed in the Chilterns one early June night in the 1970s. I saw it from my bedroom window - the hills a few miles away glowing white in the dawn light.

Bloody freezing, it was.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #1760 on: 30 November, 2010, 01:06:56 pm »
A light dusting in Maidenhead, mostly melted now.
"There are proven ways; play on the certain knowledge of their superiority, the mystique of secret covenant, the esprit of shared suffering"

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #1761 on: 30 November, 2010, 01:13:30 pm »

That is a shame. It is often safer riding the bike than pushing it.

I was on my way to work one winter and that involved a short but steep climb here Google Maps
You cross a bridge and go up a steep slope. The slope was covered with 'boilerplate' ice.

I got most of the way up before losing my nerve. Put my foot down and then ended up sliding back to the bottom of the hill with the bike on top of me. It would have been better to just keep going.

Anyway, much sympathy and grab some extra hot chocolate.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #1762 on: 30 November, 2010, 01:19:13 pm »
We had a slight dusting in Bristol. It is melting now!
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #1763 on: 30 November, 2010, 01:33:15 pm »
Mildly scenic in Brighton today. The snow came off the car easier than the frost the last few days (but still I saw someone pouring hot water on their windscreen). Misses Dan were very excited at the possibility of a snow day and making snow gruffalo, but somehow everyone seems to be struggling in. I gave my students a quick talk on how to know when campus is closed.

I'm wishing I'd ordered the snow tyres earlier, but I don't think I'll be really needing them today.

Mrs Pingu: I hope bike and arse are soon mended.

Clandy

« Reply #1764 on: 30 November, 2010, 01:34:08 pm »
 ‎*.❊* *❅ **.
. *❅*.*. *. *✼
*.*❄ * *. * *.
*. * \o/ *. ❄

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1765 on: 30 November, 2010, 01:39:27 pm »

In June 1975 Timo Makinen threw a big strop at the Ford mechanics because they didn't have SNO tyres available for the Scottish Rally.

Natch the Diana Express has a front page headline dissing "Global Warming" today, because they are worthless ignorant snivelling fuckpigs.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1766 on: 30 November, 2010, 01:45:31 pm »
We has London SNO. Thin and half-hearted with little chance of settling seriously.
Outside temperature around 1°C.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1767 on: 30 November, 2010, 01:49:00 pm »

It's exceptional for November. This sort of weather in mid-to-late December is moderately unusual.

What I want to find out, but don't know how, is whether there's any warm water at all coming to our shores from the Caribbean. If there isn't, and that situation endures, then this sort of weather could become normal for November.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1768 on: 30 November, 2010, 01:49:52 pm »
PeterM and I rode past light dustings of snow on the way to the AUK agm at York last Thursday and Friday. But the main impression of the ride was that it was blood-freezingly cold.  The snow fell overnight while we were there. We took the train home to King's Cross, the snow diminishing as went south. Across London was fine if rather cold. On Monday I rode to Reading to collect my car and return to Devon. Salisbury Plain was -1 and patchy white. East Devon is mostly green, though the roads are hard frozen. Currently I'm in a remote rural office and keeping a weather-eye on the snow flurries at the window.

« Reply #1769 on: 30 November, 2010, 01:52:48 pm »
Natch the Diana Express has a front page headline dissing "Global Warming" today, because they are worthless ignorant snivelling fuckpigs.

I can sympathise with their confusion, here's a Guardian article from 2004.

"Unfortunately, it's just getting too hot for the Scottish ski industry," said David Viner, of the Climatic Research Unit at the University of East Anglia. "It is very vulnerable to climate change; the resorts have always been marginal in terms of snow and, as the rate of climate change increases, it is hard to see a long-term future."

Adam Watson, from the Centre for Ecology and Hydrology in Banchory, Aberdeenshire, believes the industry has no more than 20 years left.

Global warming forces sale of Scottish winter sports resorts | UK news | The Guardian

I prefer not to characterise any group as 'worthless ignorant snivelling fuckpigs', because they can't both be wrong. surely?

Thursday looks to be the best bet for skiing at Yad Moss, a bit windy, but the weekend seems to be forecast misty.
Snow Report

« Reply #1770 on: 30 November, 2010, 01:54:24 pm »
Don't like it and don't want it, not much in North Oxfordshire but anyone wants it bring your own bucket.
                                                         ;D
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

« Reply #1771 on: 30 November, 2010, 01:59:40 pm »
It was snowing quite heavily, and had settled quite a thick layer in Croydon when I left.  I only had a couple of iffy moments on some totally fresh thick snow, but otherwise made much faster progress than the cars which I went past were making.

In South Kensington it's snowing on and off, but not settling.  There was essentially very little snow from Clapham Common onwards, I guess the Thames flood plain is just that little bit warmer, enough to stop snow from settling.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Yorkshireman

• The Meaning of Life is ...
  • North Hykeham. Lincoln.
    • Yorkshireman's Ramblings
« Reply #1772 on: 30 November, 2010, 02:00:00 pm »
In our little bit of Lincolnshire we're having alternate showers of big fluffy flakes, fine dusty stuff and 'bright' intervals. It's cold but not freezing - yet ...

Colin N.

Lincolnshire is mostly flat ... but the wind is mostly in your face.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #1773 on: 30 November, 2010, 02:00:27 pm »
Plenty in North Lincolnshire this morning

et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1774 on: 30 November, 2010, 02:03:19 pm »

I can sympathise with their confusion, here's a Guardian article from 2004.

"Unfortunately, it's just getting too hot for the Scottish ski industry," said David Viner, of the Climatic Research Unit at the University of East Anglia. "It is very vulnerable to climate change; the resorts have always been marginal in terms of snow and, as the rate of climate change increases, it is hard to see a long-term future."

Adam Watson, from the Centre for Ecology and Hydrology in Banchory, Aberdeenshire, believes the industry has no more than 20 years left.

Global warming forces sale of Scottish winter sports resorts | UK news | The Guardian

I prefer not to characterise any group as 'worthless ignorant snivelling fuckpigs', because they can't both be wrong. surely?

Thursday looks to be the best bet for skiing at Yad Moss, a bit windy, but the weekend seems to be forecast misty.
Snow Report

But David Viner could well be right: the general increase in air temperature whilst the Atlantic Conveyor works would indeed make circumstances favourable for skiing in Scotland less likely.

However, if the Atlantic Conveyor has stopped (or at least, has stopped coming as far as our shores) then that would indeed make cold, snowy weather much more likely. If that's happened, then it's proved scientists right because they said that was what would happen.

The only problem is use of language. Global warming is accurate insofar that the average temperature of the planet is indeed increasing, but it does give ammunition to the WISFs when local conditions buck the trend.

Climate change is better in some ways, but then the WISFs tell us that the climate is always changing. So it is, but previously it hasn't been down to the activities of humans.

The fact remains that January this year was the warmest ever recorded globally, whereas of course it was bloody cold here. Apparently 2010 is currently rivalling 1998 as the warmest year ever recorded.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.