Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639370 times)

Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #1775 on: 30 November, 2010, 02:14:44 pm »
The fact remains that January this year was the warmest ever recorded globally, whereas of course it was bloody cold here. Apparently 2010 is currently rivalling 1998 as the warmest year ever recorded.

Agreed yeah, but journalists are generalists at best, serving the readers as best they can. One moment the Guardian is citing the closure of Ski resorts as linked to global warming, the next the Express is saying that cold weather disproves global warming. it's as well to look at who the papers are preaching to. Climate has become politicised, and some would extend that politicisation to Weather.
We'll be burning witches eventually if we go down that route, it might take the chill off I suppose.

« Reply #1776 on: 30 November, 2010, 02:20:36 pm »
Much of our vegetation benefits from cold spells, which tends to point to episodes such as the present one as normal. The question has to be whether the run of warm winters were the aberration.
BBC NEWS | UK | England | Hereford/Worcs | Warm winters 'ruin' currant crop

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1777 on: 30 November, 2010, 02:36:49 pm »
The fact remains that January this year was the warmest ever recorded globally, whereas of course it was bloody cold here. Apparently 2010 is currently rivalling 1998 as the warmest year ever recorded.

Agreed yeah, but journalists are generalists at best, serving the readers as best they can. One moment the Guardian is citing the closure of Ski resorts as linked to global warming, the next the Express is saying that cold weather disproves global warming. it's as well to look at who the papers are preaching to. Climate has become politicised, and some would extend that politicisation to Weather.
We'll be burning witches eventually if we go down that route, it might take the chill off I suppose.

The difference is that the scientist in 2004 was making that statement in the light of the knowledge at the time. The vast majority of scientists' predictions relating to climate change have come true far more quickly than they expected them to, but we've only got hindsight to tell us that.

The D. Express is ignoring all scientific knowledge and is therefore just wrong.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #1778 on: 30 November, 2010, 02:44:16 pm »
Friday night - 3 inches fell.  Very little thawed between then and now.
Last night - another inch or so - covering up all the footprints etc.
All day today there's been a few sprinkles, then every now and again a huge splurge.

Enough to make me resort to using the bus.  The Windcheetah isn't very practical as a commute - I end up getting really filthy on the gritted roads and melted puddles, and the front wheels dump mud onto the rear panniers.

(Can you take your POBI-discussion of Global Warming elsewhere? I want to read about everyone's weather experiences!  ;) )
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1779 on: 30 November, 2010, 02:49:40 pm »
Back on topic.

We've got between 2 and 3 inches lying now, I reckon, and that would have been twice as much if the temperature had actually been below freezing.

I put my snow tyres on and commuted, but it was the wrong sort of snow. They work best when it's freezing and the snow is compacted. It's slush with lumps of ice in at the moment and I had a couple of dodgy moments.

However, they were not so dodgy as one which befell a large articulated lorry attempting to turn from our road. My attention was drawn by the loud revving of a large diesel engine. The wheels were spinning impressively, whether he tried to go forward or back, and for quite some time all he succeeded in doing was moving sideways and I was contemplating evacuating something.

Eventually he got a grip and moved off.

Our front room is still standing.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1780 on: 30 November, 2010, 03:04:51 pm »
We has London SNO. Thin and half-hearted with little chance of settling seriously.
Outside temperature around 1°C.

I had an e-mail from TWFKAML about half an hour ago - she reports up to 6" in Crystal Palace park.  They've got their own weather system up there though.

Coming down with a bit more conviction in Harlot now but not settling worth a damn.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1781 on: 30 November, 2010, 03:13:16 pm »
We has SNO in Mos Eisley Pompey, but it's a mere sprinkling that won't last long, chiz.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1782 on: 30 November, 2010, 03:20:44 pm »
No snow in Poland till yesterday, which is unusually late in the year. Now so deep the Cudzos are cut off!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #1783 on: 30 November, 2010, 03:39:12 pm »
No snow in Blackpool, but a biting wind. The schoolkids, who were supposed to come and plant a few trees, cried off.
It's been too cold for the Roundup to take effect where we sprayed off to prevent competition three weeks ago, so we don't know where to plant most of the trees, but we could plant a hedge.
So I sorted through 3,000 trees in a crate to find the 300 Hawthorn, only to discover they'd only sent 90, so turnover for two people and a 50 mile roundtrip = £45. Alba Trees' ears must have been turning blue, much like mine and Steve's.

« Reply #1784 on: 30 November, 2010, 03:46:07 pm »
Been snowing on and off all day in South Ockendon.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1785 on: 30 November, 2010, 03:52:42 pm »
Glad that Blackpool is snow free ..... we are due to visit son&heir on Saturday.He lives near Bispham IIRC.
No snow = might take a bike with me

« Reply #1786 on: 30 November, 2010, 04:01:26 pm »
Glad that Blackpool is snow free ..... we are due to visit son&heir on Saturday.He lives near Bispham IIRC.
No snow = might take a bike with me

You could probably still cobble together a 200 on the main roads round here. But there are snow showers forecast tonight and tomorrow morning.

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #1787 on: 30 November, 2010, 04:11:58 pm »
First outing for the sno tyres since February... Fell over once  :-[

Overtook most of the motons on the 15 miles (even on the A61 dual carriageway) to work but it was quite hard going giving a good workout.

Looks like I may have to take the same shorter direct way home - the roads over the Peaks will be very slow going having about 8 inches plus.

« Reply #1788 on: 30 November, 2010, 04:29:26 pm »
We've had about 4" here (Surrey Downs), and it's caused chaos. Trains cancelled, roads gridlocked, and lots of commuters discovering that the little country lane they use to cut three minutes off their journey isn't such a smart idea if you have no clue about how to drive in the snow.  :facepalm:
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

Tim

« Reply #1789 on: 30 November, 2010, 04:32:09 pm »
We've had about 4" here (Surrey Downs), and it's caused chaos. Trains cancelled, roads gridlocked, and lots of commuters discovering that the little country lane they use to cut three minutes off their journey isn't such a smart idea if you have no clue about how to drive in the snow.  :facepalm:
We can't have had four inches yet, surely?

And the queue of cars trying to escape the office car park moves once every five minutes or so.

There are three cyclists in my corner of the office and we've given up all attempts at pretending not to be too smug.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1790 on: 30 November, 2010, 04:33:58 pm »
Ah its bloody well started snowing again here in Clapham, with a vengeance - you were supposed to stop at 2p.m.  >:(

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1791 on: 30 November, 2010, 04:42:01 pm »
It's not stopped in SE1, though it has been half-hearted much of the day, with occasional bursts of energy.

I understand it's been making more of an effort back home.

*gulp*
Getting there...

« Reply #1792 on: 30 November, 2010, 04:47:56 pm »
We can't have had four inches yet, surely?

We have at this end of the building - but then I *am* further north than you.  ;)
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1793 on: 30 November, 2010, 05:20:17 pm »
Traffic is flowing freely here.
There's no snow visible on the carriageway, just a thin dusting on the roofs, but I can see light,fine, frozen precipitation is occurring.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1794 on: 30 November, 2010, 05:40:18 pm »
We've got about a foot now.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #1795 on: 30 November, 2010, 05:56:11 pm »
Just been down to the village on the mountain bike with knobblies :D. That was FUN! The A232 was moving slowly, but there were 3 stranded buses. The alternative route was nose to tail in both directions for it's entire length and barely crawling at all. I rode down the middle :smug:. I wouldn't want to try to drive anywhere this evening.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #1796 on: 30 November, 2010, 06:00:33 pm »
Snowing a little for most of the day in Tamworth & there's a couple of inches outside now.  Metcheck says it will be snowing all day tomorrow so it's looking good for a walk & some photos on Thursday :thumbsup:
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #1797 on: 30 November, 2010, 06:47:48 pm »
Mrs C has just been outside with a tape measure.  18 inches.  Getting tiresome now.
Aero but not dynamic

gordon taylor

« Reply #1798 on: 30 November, 2010, 07:56:31 pm »
Tell her to come inside with her tape measure now.

::-) ;) ;D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1799 on: 30 November, 2010, 08:01:20 pm »
We are forecast to get a -9 on Friday night / Saturday morning.