Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639432 times)

Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #1825 on: 01 December, 2010, 09:18:41 am »
Is it ever going to stop snowing?

The council are doing a grand job trying to keep the roads clear but unfortunately all the snow they've cleared is now about 3 feet deep on the pavements. So all the pedestrians are now walking on the roads as the pavements are almost impassable.
It didn't look at all like that in the photographs

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #1826 on: 01 December, 2010, 09:44:54 am »
Snow on the pavements? Just what I wanted this morning.

Ski to the lab by davidmamartin, on Flickr
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #1827 on: 01 December, 2010, 10:19:05 am »
Roads not too bad here, around my GF apparently are pretty bad so I'm staying in.
Luckily I'm not at work except for friday and sunday because I've had to use up holiday so I've not had to mess about with the traffic on the way home.
Good thickness of snow here though

Don't question. It makes people angry.

Martin

« Reply #1828 on: 01 December, 2010, 10:32:07 am »
travelling on the train from East Croydon to Clapham Junction is like travelling in a time machine that zips you forward 2 months; not a flake here in W6, and of course when you tell them you have 6-8" at home they think you are lying;

the gritting hasn't worked well either, for those who think it's the solution to everything; the A25 and A23 are still hard packed snow.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1829 on: 01 December, 2010, 11:10:17 am »
Last night, I had a two part commute home, separated by the very kind Alexb showing me how to build my S3X wheel.  I did some bits, but he did the clever stuff.

I rode up along Streatham Hill.  Standing traffic from before Brixton.  It was OK till I got to Streatham itself, where the gaps were limited, especially for anyone with a 700c rim strapped across the saddlebag :-\

I just got off & walked long sections.  It was insane.  With lots of futile horn honking.

Alex's road was a bit dicey, but rideable.

When I left, later, it was colder and still snowing, but the motorists were driving slowly and carefully, which was a pleasant surprise.

It was lovely, if slow, making my way through the dark, suspicious of every shiny bit of road, and grateful for the Cyo.  I was most happy about the lack of motor vehicles breathing down my neck.

Across the Common was cooooold, but the roads were still clear, and, other than the odd bit of lumpy ice, I had a pretty easy ride till I got close to home.  I almost lost it a couple of times on the approaches, but I was being very careful as I didn't want to risk damaging the brand new wheel.  When I got to our street, it was unridable, at least on fixed without ice tyres, so I got off & walked that last bit.  Every crevice of the bike had snow packed into it.

And it was still snowing.

This morning, I woke up, keen for it to be a Snow Day for me, but I guessed that wasn't going to work.  After lots of faffing, and packing a pannier with boots, fleece etc, I set off.  No traction on the road up to the station.

It wasn't just for the schadenfreude, though there was plenty of that, as there was a packed platform, busy bus stops, and people standing on the bridge waiting to see which would come first.  I also wanted to check out the prospects for a bailout further on.  Slim, but possible.

Down into town, I felt like i was at the seaside, with the salt spray in my face.  But it did mean that most of the roads were clear enough to ride, and the fierce headwind became my main concern.

By the time I got to Wandsworth, there was very little evidence of yesterday's heavy fall, and, arriving in SE1, it was almost as if the snow hadn't happened.

Blizzard over for now.

I still wouldn't have minded if Wiggle had managed to deliver my Winter tyres... ::-)
Getting there...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1830 on: 01 December, 2010, 11:11:35 am »

Stop SNOing?  It hasn't started here ???

Yesterday I go home and watch BBC London News. It's the SNOpocalypse; traffic chaos and protesting Penniless Student Oaves pelting the polis with SNOballs1. TFWKAML reports 6" of SNO in Crystal Palace. When I look out my window so many sights to see, er, enough SNO in the side road to leave wheel tracks.  Just.  Main road clear.

Arise this morning, watch BBC London News. It's SNOmageddon; four hundred lorries are stuck on the M25, Airwick Gatport is closed, trains are stranded in Kent and the passengers have already resorted to cannibalism. Look out of the window. No change from last night except that the side road has turned into a skating rink. Journey to work better than usual because people are staying at home to avoid being stuck in the non-existent SNO. Much more of this and I'll start believing the Apollo 11 conspiracy theorists too (are there any Apollo 12 conspiracy theorists?).

1 - OK, this is not technically true, but should be.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1831 on: 01 December, 2010, 11:14:36 am »
still no snow down here in the sunny south  8)

« Reply #1832 on: 01 December, 2010, 11:16:05 am »

Stop SNOing?  It hasn't started here ???

Yesterday I go home and watch BBC London News. It's the SNOpocalypse; traffic chaos and protesting Penniless Student Oaves pelting the polis with SNOballs1.

Oh, I like this idea. I have image of police losing it and joining in, one massive massive snowball fight between police and students.

It's sno apocalypse in Leeds and York.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1833 on: 01 December, 2010, 11:17:27 am »
Still no snow in America's Mid-west.   >:(

On the other hand, if this rain keeps up we may need to invest in a boat.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1834 on: 01 December, 2010, 11:19:01 am »
Yesterday I go home and watch BBC London News. It's the SNOpocalypse; traffic chaos and protesting Penniless Student Oaves pelting the polis with SNOballs1.

Oh, I like this idea. I have image of police losing it and joining in, one massive massive snowball fight between police and students.

They had a SNOball fight turn into a riot in Leipzig yesterday: clicky.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1835 on: 01 December, 2010, 11:27:53 am »
Mama & Papa boab have 2 feet, and no post since last Thursday. The 3 mile over the hill walk to the shop has lost it's charm.
So mum sent me this link.
Seattle Snowpocalypse

No. What is this, some kind of conspiracy to get me out on the ice? No.

« Reply #1836 on: 01 December, 2010, 11:33:39 am »
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1837 on: 01 December, 2010, 11:46:30 am »
Seen on Traffic Scotland this morning - some peeps having a nice walk along the empty M-way north of the Forth Road bridge
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #1838 on: 01 December, 2010, 11:48:41 am »
Ok, I admit it. Right now a pompino fitted with snow tyres seems a very attractive proposition.

Chris S

« Reply #1839 on: 01 December, 2010, 11:49:53 am »
Ok, I admit it. Right now a pompino fitted with snow tyres seems a very attractive proposition.

Not as attractive as my wood burner and a nice hot cuppa. Stuff going outside!

« Reply #1840 on: 01 December, 2010, 11:52:30 am »
"There are proven ways; play on the certain knowledge of their superiority, the mystique of secret covenant, the esprit of shared suffering"

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1841 on: 01 December, 2010, 12:06:24 pm »
What is this, some kind of conspiracy to get me out on the ice?

Um... :-[

*rumbled*
Getting there...

simonp

« Reply #1842 on: 01 December, 2010, 12:23:54 pm »

My snowy commute remains pure dead brilliant.

Anyway I thought you said it'd thawed.  It's thawed and then refroze into lethal stuff hasn't it.  Snow tyres ftw!

Tim

« Reply #1843 on: 01 December, 2010, 12:24:30 pm »
Kathy will probably disagree - she had hers out yesterday, and I ended up wheeling it beside me while I rode and she jogged for a few sections. She took the mountain bike today, I resorted to three wheels (which was fun on some suitable patches of road).

simonp

« Reply #1844 on: 01 December, 2010, 12:27:22 pm »
I'm not enamoured with the idea of riding fixed in these conditions, tbh.

Chris S

« Reply #1845 on: 01 December, 2010, 12:28:33 pm »

My snowy commute remains pure dead brilliant.

Anyway I thought you said it'd thawed.  It's thawed and then refroze into lethal stuff hasn't it.  Snow tyres ftw!

It's patchy. There are stretches of clean tarmac, then you turn a corner and find a nice glassy mirror of ice and snow waiting for you to break your collar bone on. Bollocks to that.

Anyway - there's a sub-zero gale blowing, which hurts.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1846 on: 01 December, 2010, 12:31:48 pm »
Dez has just told me that the Met Office's website says that Shoeburyness recorded Britain's highest precipitation in the past 24 hours at 13.4 mm. I suppose that, had it been freezing yesterday morning when most of it fell, that would have translated into about 7".

It's about -2 in our garden at the moment and has been snowing all morning, in a blowy, microflakey kind of way.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

simonp

« Reply #1847 on: 01 December, 2010, 12:32:10 pm »
I have that glassy stuff on my commute.  It's my street.

The great thing about snow tyres is they're such hard work you're only going to hit 15mph on the flat anyway.

Chris S

« Reply #1848 on: 01 December, 2010, 12:35:58 pm »
I'm also a soft southern jesse, don't forget  :D.

« Reply #1849 on: 01 December, 2010, 12:41:54 pm »
I'm also a soft southern jesse, don't forget  :D.
I used to be a hardy Northerner. Then I got older.