Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639380 times)

Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #1900 on: 02 December, 2010, 07:56:58 am »
Probably another 8 inches of snow in Croydon, on top of the 8 inches which were already there.  I'm wondering whether to have a quick cycle to the GPs to drop off a prescription request, as a test to how cycle-able the outside world is?  It could be "interesting" with all the frozen ice and ruts hidden under the fresh snow. :-\
Actually, it is rocket science.

Martin

« Reply #1901 on: 02 December, 2010, 07:59:02 am »
no trains to work  :-\

where did I leave the car?

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #1902 on: 02 December, 2010, 08:17:12 am »
This is when I loath beinga able to work from home. Kids are off; everyone else gets to play but I am trapped by the laptop working with USAians. Plus there is a lack of understanding when I'm on a conference call with shouting children in the background.  Bahhrghh
Owner of a languishing Langster

« Reply #1903 on: 02 December, 2010, 08:30:17 am »
Thick snow coming down. Hill isn't looking good. I don't think I'll be going anywhere again today.
Brother scraped his car before he went to work for when he gets home. You can't tell he did that now!!!

Don't question. It makes people angry.

Chris S

« Reply #1904 on: 02 December, 2010, 08:31:18 am »
This is when I loath beinga able to work from home. Kids are off; everyone else gets to play but I am trapped by the laptop working with USAians. Plus there is a lack of understanding when I'm on a conference call with shouting children in the background.  Bahhrghh

Just tell them it's "Bring your kids to work day" at the office. USAians love that shit.

« Reply #1905 on: 02 December, 2010, 08:34:02 am »
Oh, and the heating isn't working right!

Martin

« Reply #1906 on: 02 December, 2010, 08:53:02 am »
expect to see an announcment on the Trust website about how we are planning to make up the time we have to take off..

I've seen two vehicles moving down our road so far; a Land Rover and a yoof onna BMX in its tracks.

Son #1 spent a profitable evening on Tuesday in his mate's LR with a tow rope

Fi

« Reply #1907 on: 02 December, 2010, 09:03:41 am »
Just spent an amusing twenty minutes watching the two automatic, rear wheel drive mercedes owners trying to get their cars onto the road, failing and trying to get them back on their drives. 

« Reply #1908 on: 02 December, 2010, 09:06:10 am »
We've got four 200 buses stuck at the top of Durham Road (SW20) where it turns a sharp right onto Cottenham Park Road. Roads are pretty tricky. Not many people out. School's on a half day. Last night I encountered sheet ice on a back road. I was mid-dismount when the bike disappeared from under me. I had problems standing up.
Rust never sleeps

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #1909 on: 02 December, 2010, 10:13:47 am »
This was todays commute.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/nmVH8rsXp_Y&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/nmVH8rsXp_Y&rel=1</a>
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Chris S

« Reply #1910 on: 02 December, 2010, 10:28:11 am »
This was todays commute.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/nmVH8rsXp_Y&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/nmVH8rsXp_Y&rel=1</a>

Well done on staying upright!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1911 on: 02 December, 2010, 10:29:57 am »
Snowing heavily here and expected to last all day.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #1912 on: 02 December, 2010, 10:31:44 am »
We just had a light dusting in Bristol.

This was todays commute.

You are remarkably in control, out of interest, which tyres do you use?
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #1913 on: 02 December, 2010, 10:38:44 am »
6 inches last night  :o (you should be so lucky)  ;D

« Reply #1914 on: 02 December, 2010, 10:42:20 am »
Just spent an amusing twenty minutes watching the two automatic, rear wheel drive mercedes owners trying to get their cars onto the road, failing and trying to get them back on their drives. 

They are horrible in snow without proper snow tyres on. Had one leant to me once when my car was stolen. Very scary in the snow.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1915 on: 02 December, 2010, 10:47:39 am »
It tried a bit harder in E17 last night but not hard enough to cause any transport difficulty chiz.  The only promble encountered was when some berk in the car park at jbex decided he was dissatisfied with the perfectly adequate positioning of his motor-car and decided to reverse into my path just as I was turning the corner.  ABS does not work at that low a speed but fortunately he managed to move forwards again before my motor-car had a chance to embed itself in his nearside rear door.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1916 on: 02 December, 2010, 10:51:20 am »
The Tram to Wimbledon, and then the District Line onwards seems to be working fine. Apparently the trains into Victoria Station from East Croydon weren't running earlier. The trams rarely seem to have problems in this sort of weather, I guess the lighter weight and overhead power makes then more reliable in these conditions.

David Martin

« Reply #1917 on: 02 December, 2010, 10:52:26 am »
We just had a light dusting in Bristol.

This was todays commute.

You are remarkably in control, out of interest, which tyres do you use?

That was a light dusting, the only remotely interesting bit was the end of the side road where there were a few ruts.

The tyres are Nokian Haakkepecantspellitaa W106 running at about 30PSI so dog slow and draggy where it is clear.

There was only an inch of snow on teh front garden path (though the two steps were entertaining) but it was touch icy underneath.

..d

« Reply #1918 on: 02 December, 2010, 10:59:18 am »
So it is!
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

« Reply #1919 on: 02 December, 2010, 11:26:06 am »
... The tyres are Nokian Haakkepecantspellitaa ...

I'm glad it's not just me then!  I have to type "Hakkap..." into Google, and then cut and paste it's suggestions (which I'm assuming is correct!).

Did you know that Hakkapeliitta is a term for a Finnish light cavalryman?  It seems an odd choice for the name of a tyre.

« Reply #1920 on: 02 December, 2010, 11:47:28 am »
Yet another 5mm of snow overnight here in Hertfordshire.  Just been to the local council tip where the guys have decorated the handrails with tinsel AND A MONEY COLLECTION POT.  I think they need do a bit more than just point to bin 4 to get a tip from me.

David Martin

« Reply #1921 on: 02 December, 2010, 11:53:28 am »
View out the lab window.

Life Sciences Car Park by davidmamartin, on Flickr

« Reply #1922 on: 02 December, 2010, 12:11:08 pm »
Snow still coming down here

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1923 on: 02 December, 2010, 12:18:49 pm »
We've had about 30 flakes today.
It is simpler than it looks.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #1924 on: 02 December, 2010, 12:23:53 pm »
Pretty much non stop here, SE Sheffield.

It varies from very fine stuff, to massive downfalls of fat flakes. The main road is getting worse again, and most of the cars are completely snowed in now. There's a few hardy souls walking about in it, but the families that were having fun in the street have disappeared, it's just too horrible for that now.