Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639582 times)

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #1975 on: 03 December, 2010, 04:38:22 pm »
Further light dusting last night and this morning but lovely sunshine all day today.

-9C this morning. 6 out of the 15 miles into work on slippery surfaces this morning was a car park, even the A61 dual carriageway - no problem with Marathon Winters and better than 1/2 the time taken by cars.

Its now 4:30 and all my work colleagues have swanned off home early (again) "because the roads are bad" leaving me to hold the fort because I have no problems cycling home!  :facepalm: bah! humbug! (At least they turned up to work today!)

Chris S

« Reply #1976 on: 03 December, 2010, 04:42:21 pm »
Look! Look! LOOK!

Penzance: Currently +6C and RAINing. Mmmm... warmth. Come on in and thaw us out.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1977 on: 03 December, 2010, 04:45:38 pm »
I've just taken the dog to the park.

It's freezing hard and the results of the past 3 days' falls is that we have a fairly uniform 10" lying.

That is some turd.
Seriously, that is one of the worst things about the Polish winter. When the snow melts it reveals four or so months' worth of dog turds which have been preserved by the frost.
Ewwwh!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #1978 on: 03 December, 2010, 04:46:42 pm »
Weird weather. If the thaw comes as promised, it will be the same number of degrees above freezing at midnight tonight as it was degrees below freezing at midday today.

I like a bit of snow but as I have to drive into the Hampshire Alps tomorrow, a bit of rain would be most welcome.

« Reply #1979 on: 03 December, 2010, 04:51:51 pm »
Weird weather. If the thaw comes as promised, it will be the same number of degrees above freezing at midnight tonight as it was degrees below freezing at midday today.
I remember taking the dog for a walk one night in December 1981 & noticing that it was remarkably warm, & there was liquid water (the first I'd seen outdoors for a while) about. Having been -enough to cause my nose hairs to prickle during daylight hours, a warm west wind was melting everything about 11 pm.

The dog was a bit pissed off. She greatly preferred snow to slush.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1980 on: 03 December, 2010, 05:24:15 pm »
I just heard on the radio that it was -17 in Sherriff Hutton about 5 miles from us last night. That's cold even for North Yorkshire.

Good thing we are not using the C&CC site atm then ;D

« Reply #1981 on: 03 December, 2010, 08:32:34 pm »

Its now 4:30 and all my work colleagues have swanned off home early (again) "because the roads are bad" leaving me to hold the fort because I have no problems cycling home!  :facepalm: bah! humbug! (At least they turned up to work today!)

Yeah, we had that too - despite us having driven in for the last two days!
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #1982 on: 03 December, 2010, 09:40:41 pm »
Nil melt here today - and now it's falling again.
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #1983 on: 03 December, 2010, 09:46:16 pm »
It's melting here! Hurrah! Even at this hour the icicles are dripping.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #1984 on: 03 December, 2010, 09:51:14 pm »
It is raining in Bristol
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #1985 on: 03 December, 2010, 09:57:12 pm »
The forecast over the weekend is relatively mild, mostly above freezing, so a lot of the ice and snow is likely to melt.  Next week seems to be back below zero though, so I suspect all the half melted slush will then freeze back into a suitably lethal ice layer. :-\
Actually, it is rocket science.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1986 on: 03 December, 2010, 10:10:19 pm »
Snowball war has broken out on our street.  Unfortunately, while our upstairs window provides an excellent sniping position, we're taking heavy fire, and don't dare open it to collect the meagre half a snowball's worth of snow accumulated on the sill.

There's a guy out there wearing shorts, throwing snowballs with the arm that isn't in plaster.  Hardcore!

Martin

« Reply #1987 on: 03 December, 2010, 10:13:42 pm »
It's melting here! Hurrah! Even at this hour the icicles are dripping.

they were doing that here at -12oC this morning; it's more a sign of poor loft insulation

(he says with a Sword of Damocles hanging off the corner of the house; fortunately pointing into a dense hedge)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1988 on: 03 December, 2010, 10:19:58 pm »
We've got 2" just now. Hopefully more to come, else we aren't able to believe the nambies from Kent.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #1989 on: 03 December, 2010, 10:20:19 pm »
Snowball war has broken out on our street.  Unfortunately, while our upstairs window provides an excellent sniping position, we're taking heavy fire, and don't dare open it to collect the meagre half a snowball's worth of snow accumulated on the sill.

There's a guy out there wearing shorts, throwing snowballs with the arm that isn't in plaster.  Hardcore!

Take advantage of the week points, aim for the legs... ;D

We've had a very light dusting in Liverpool,  it's currently -1,  roads are clear but some pavements are treacherous.

My Kahtoola MicroSpikes are as yet unused...(2 mile walk to work, downhill on pavements that were not cleared last year)

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #1990 on: 03 December, 2010, 10:50:25 pm »
Not fair! They look loads better than my yaktrax, one of which I've already lost  :(

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #1991 on: 03 December, 2010, 10:55:55 pm »
We've had a very light dusting in Liverpool,  it's currently -1,  roads are clear but some pavements are treacherous.

My Kahtoola MicroSpikes are as yet unused...(2 mile walk to work, downhill on pavements that were not cleared last year)

Normal footwear for Liverpool?
[Runs away. Hides.]
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #1992 on: 03 December, 2010, 11:12:49 pm »

Normal footwear for Liverpool?
[Runs away. Hides.]

Chases, finds, catches, throws to ground & jumps up & down on whilst chanting "calm down, calm down"    Oops, forgot I was wearing spikes....    fetches ice axe for a humane dispatch...  ;)

« Reply #1993 on: 03 December, 2010, 11:16:22 pm »
Agh ! five hours of shift to go and thick white stuff coming down, don't like it,  :hand:
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

« Reply #1994 on: 03 December, 2010, 11:22:59 pm »
I had this weekend penciled in as "possible camping trip".... :(   

LEE

« Reply #1995 on: 03 December, 2010, 11:24:41 pm »
It's strange to see the temperature go from -4.6C to -0.8C from 7pm to 11pm.  Sort of counter-intuitive.

It's raining here in Hampshire now and the forecst is for the temperature to keep rising all night.

Good!

Edit.  In the time it took to type that it went from -0.8C to -0.7C

Edit -0.4C  (this is a heck of a heat wave)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1996 on: 03 December, 2010, 11:35:31 pm »
Still snowing in Brum, but less cold.
Come on rain.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #1997 on: 04 December, 2010, 08:01:23 am »
The mild temperatures and drizzle seem to have eroded some of the snow overnight in Croydon, although there's still a fair bit around.  The forecasts have the above zero temperatures around until sometime tomorrow, at which point it'll dive back below freezing, and whatever is left will become suitably lethal. :-\
Actually, it is rocket science.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #1998 on: 04 December, 2010, 08:04:32 am »
It's all melting here...  :'(

And it'll all freeze overnight tonight I bet.  :-\
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #1999 on: 04 December, 2010, 10:09:30 am »
We've had next to bugger all snow here in Warwick, but I saw the BBC Midlands local news show last night & they had photos taken of the region and Rugby, <10 miles away, was awash with the stuff! Not fair!!!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.