Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639441 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #2150 on: 14 December, 2010, 01:48:16 pm »
I read somewhere, and I'm sure my son's girlfriend can confirm it, that in Finnish schools there's no such thing as indoor play. They've all got suitable clothing for whatever the weather, even if it's -20°C at break time, so out they go.

Son Graham was telling us on Sunday that his GF gets very intolerant of the British panic every time it snows a bit.

<deep voice with gutteral Finnish accent>

"What do they mean they've been "cut off"? They've not been cut off. You're not cut off until you have to stand on a chair to look out of the window!"

</dvwgfa>
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Chris S

« Reply #2151 on: 14 December, 2010, 01:58:22 pm »
I read somewhere, and I'm sure my son's girlfriend can confirm it, that in Finnish schools there's no such thing as indoor play. They've all got suitable clothing for whatever the weather, even if it's -20°C at break time, so out they go.

:)

In mild winters, when I'm hankering after some snow, I sometimes idly browse through the Finnish Traffic camera network images.

It was remiss of me not to grab a screen image when once I spied a lonely cyclist on one of the Lapland cameras; the temperature on the page showing it to be a balmy -28c.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2152 on: 14 December, 2010, 03:28:27 pm »
"What do they mean they've been "cut off"? They've not been cut off. You're not cut off until you have to stand on a chair to look out of the window!"
My parents in law have had snow completely blocking windows (they were in a single-storey house then) and door. That doesn't happen nowadays though, you just don't get the same heavy snowfalls. We had a month or so of very low temperatures (between -20 and -30) five years ago, but not with such dramatic snow.

Here it's about -1 (at a guess) today and snowing gently. Tomorrow -10 is predicted. Many kids are going to school by sledge, and our bee-keeping neighbour has got his horse-drawn sleigh out. He seems to be the only one in the neighbourhood with such practical winter transport nowadays - they were common in rural areas till the early 90s and the Polish Highway Code still includes a regulation that they have to have bells fitted, the type that jingle all the time as in the song.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #2153 on: 14 December, 2010, 03:30:35 pm »

Son Graham was telling us on Sunday that his GF gets very intolerant of the British panic every time it snows a bit.

<deep voice with gutteral Finnish accent>

</dvwgfa>

She's been in my daughters bedroom then....

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #2154 on: 14 December, 2010, 04:34:35 pm »
Snowing here in Toronto now - they've also issued severe weather warnings!

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #2155 on: 14 December, 2010, 08:11:23 pm »
There's very light snow, like snow drizzle here in Devon right now.
I guess the weather hasn't read the script of no snow until thursday/friday

Lycra Man

• SR 2011, 2012 & RRTY
« Reply #2156 on: 14 December, 2010, 11:34:22 pm »
No snow here in Buckinghamshire (at the moment), but that's OK, because I cycled home from work, so I have to cycle to work tomorrow morning.

Lycra Man

« Reply #2157 on: 15 December, 2010, 12:07:30 am »
-14°C in Poprad. Tomorrow it is due to reach a high of -7°C.

Silly me volunteered weeks ago to help at tomorrow's Christmas party for parents and children which is being held in the school playground. Still, -7°C will feel warm compared with the -25°C we had a fortnight ago.

Who would actually choose to attend an outdoor party when it's -7C ???  :o

Only if the dress code doesn't stop me wearing my shorts and t-shirt.

« Reply #2158 on: 15 December, 2010, 01:22:39 am »
<sigh>

Turned the TV goggle box on for the news earlier.   Snow!   Chaos!    Schools closed!  with the reporter and headteacher standing in an area of a light dusting.

HTFU!!!!!
Are you still in shorts and short sleeves?

(This is a question related to your hatred of being too hot, not a really sad perv question about what you're wearing).

We had about 16 inches of snow in the last batch.    I did wear a coat for a couple of days.  It has now melted though.

I haven't worn the coat for the last week, and even though the car dash said "0C" tonight I still left the coat on the back seat when we went walking.

I am in t-shirt at the moment.    And although I am indoors please be assured that the heating went off at 22:00.

« Reply #2159 on: 15 December, 2010, 10:42:41 am »
35 and steamy here today. Hail storms not far away tonight. I think snow would be preferable.
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

« Reply #2160 on: 15 December, 2010, 10:46:58 am »
Forecast heavy snow and back to sub zero temperatures on Saturday here in Rugby   :thumbsup:

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2161 on: 15 December, 2010, 12:50:47 pm »
Despite the thaw there is still snow lying on the high ground,on south facing slopes even,between Leek,Buxton & Ashbourne

« Reply #2162 on: 15 December, 2010, 01:39:44 pm »
The weather precipitation forecast for my ride on Saturday is "40% chance Frozen Mix".
What's frozen mix then? I hope it's not seafood medley, that would be painful.

« Reply #2163 on: 15 December, 2010, 01:42:18 pm »
35 and steamy here today. Hail storms not far away tonight. I think snow would be preferable.

Have you been affected by the floods, Sandy?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2164 on: 15 December, 2010, 01:43:41 pm »
Frozen mix?
ears frozen
toes frozen
fingers frozen.
Is that not the usual mix?

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #2165 on: 15 December, 2010, 06:12:51 pm »
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #2166 on: 15 December, 2010, 06:16:02 pm »
Now that is cool :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #2167 on: 15 December, 2010, 06:39:51 pm »
Woooooow!!!  More than cool, too cool in fact.   ;D
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #2168 on: 15 December, 2010, 06:44:51 pm »
Think you have problems with ice?

WKYC.com | Cleveland, OH | Water, winds encase Lake Erie lighthouse in ice

That's cool. Reminds me of the photos of the storm at Lake Geneva a few years ago.

« Reply #2169 on: 15 December, 2010, 08:24:00 pm »
MrC - not directly affected. Just lots of roads cut and road surfaces wrecked. Much short term patching underway. Took me 9 hours to drive from Tamworth to Brisbane instead of 6.5. Diverted via Toowoomba as landslides closed Cunninghams Gap
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2170 on: 15 December, 2010, 08:28:57 pm »
It was -15 at 9 o'clock this morning and had risen to -10 by 2:30 when I got home with Little Cudzo on the sledge. Foggy all day, which coupled with the sheer whiteness of all surfaces made it quite difficult to distinguish deep snow from shallow.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2171 on: 15 December, 2010, 08:37:35 pm »
The weather precipitation forecast for my ride on Saturday is "40% chance Frozen Mix".
What's frozen mix then? I hope it's not seafood medley, that would be painful.

It's a Mash Up of 'Cold as Ice' by Foreigner.

YouTube
        - Foreigner - Cold As Ice

and 'Ice Ice Baby' by Vanilla Ice.

YouTube
      - Broadcast Yourself.

There's a 40% chance of it becoming the earworm that blights your ride.

The weather precipitates the memory.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2172 on: 15 December, 2010, 08:41:27 pm »
Hah!  My earworm this evening was <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/bBlbPw7WAqM&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/bBlbPw7WAqM&rel=1</a>, but I had to be careful about singing it out loud when i was overtaking people ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #2173 on: 15 December, 2010, 08:43:21 pm »
Hah!  My earworm this evening was <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/bBlbPw7WAqM&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/bBlbPw7WAqM&rel=1</a>, but I had to be careful about singing it out loud when i was overtaking people ;D

This deserves a separate thread for earworms.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2174 on: 15 December, 2010, 08:58:42 pm »
There is one, but I wanted to defy the evil infiltrations of the previous post ;)
Getting there...