Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639557 times)

Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #2225 on: 16 December, 2010, 05:22:23 pm »
Gah! I need to go shopping with the trailer tonight too. On the tandem with MiniQ.
That'll be exciting with SPDs

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #2226 on: 16 December, 2010, 05:24:02 pm »
Has only been a tad wet in Brighton.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #2227 on: 16 December, 2010, 05:26:29 pm »
About to go play 5-a-side in SE1. Dry so far, let's hope the all-weather pitches haven't frozen...
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #2228 on: 16 December, 2010, 05:30:51 pm »
Snow here in Biggin Hill!!!!
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #2229 on: 16 December, 2010, 05:32:12 pm »
Chocks Away!
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

border-rider

« Reply #2230 on: 16 December, 2010, 05:34:00 pm »
Started off slightly damp here, then cleared just after lunch to be a sunny afternoon.  Cold, but no snow.

simonp

« Reply #2231 on: 16 December, 2010, 05:44:49 pm »
5-a-side Christmas curry tonight.  Last year, we sat in the curry house and watched the world grind to a halt outside.  By the time we left, conditions were lethal and I walked home.  Much amusement was had by the fact that I'd rolled up my jeans for riding fixed.  I kept them rolled up for the hour walk home.  I wasn't cold.

This year, I saw the forecast and as a result I cycled to work (via a physio appointment) on the snow tyres.  It was just starting to sleet at 3.15pm when I cycled over to the barber's for my haircut, and it had turned to proper snow by the time I left.  People driving like idiots, then.  It's been snowing steadily since, and the temperature has fallen from 6.4 to -0.8 (it dropped 4 deg C in half an hour around 1pm) so I think it'll settle once the ground temperature drops a bit.  Snow tyres will be worth it, since I won't be riding home from the curry til 11pm or so.

Last night was the work Christmas Party.  Free taxis provided, so I insisted on cycling in the rain out into the countryside (about 9 miles from my house) to Chilford Hall.  They were very accommodating, allowing me to put my bike behind a bar in an unused function room and then showing me to the disabled loos so I could change.  Most of my colleagues thought I was mad, but it meant I got to leave when I got bored rather than when the allotted taxi was due to turn up (the spread between earliest and latest taxi was huge).  It was damp, but not really properly raining on the way out, and the rain had stopped on the way back.  Temperature in Cambridge didn't drop below 3 so no risk of ice, I rode there and back on the Pompino, about 35 minutes each way.  I had my suit in a bag folded and bungeed to the top of my pannier + rack, which kept it secure and dry.  I was better dressed than most once I'd changed. :)

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #2232 on: 16 December, 2010, 06:02:15 pm »
Its snowing in lovely Lewisham, the cat is looking distinctly unimpressed.

« Reply #2233 on: 16 December, 2010, 06:11:40 pm »
the cat is looking distinctly unimpressed.

He's not alone in that.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2234 on: 16 December, 2010, 06:31:04 pm »
Ah, that's better, normal service is resumed!  ;)

Have you watched "Money as Debt" and listened to the Nicle Foss leture by any chance? They're terribly depressing.

Sometimes I think I ought to change my YACF name to Marvin.
Is that the link you provided in the "Where did the money go?" thread?

I haven't got around to that yet - been out this morning, and now have to go and collect Little Cudzo from school. So I have a cheerful afternoon to look forward to, but shall try to get around to some serious depressing stuff this evening.

Yes, that's right. About 50 minutes for Money as debt, well over an hour for the lecture.
Listened to the lecture, not sure where you got this Money As Debt thing - that's another mp3 is it?

Not currently snowing here. About 25cm where not cleared, -8 at midday, sunny. Good winter weather.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2235 on: 16 December, 2010, 06:42:43 pm »
Has only been a tad wet in Brighton.

Snow on the hill here now.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #2236 on: 16 December, 2010, 07:09:26 pm »
Fluffy stuff falling from the sky in Newham.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #2237 on: 16 December, 2010, 07:10:38 pm »
Snowing here again too. The lane had almost cleared of ice ....
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #2238 on: 16 December, 2010, 07:16:35 pm »
It was only a flurry in UB6, it would seem.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #2239 on: 16 December, 2010, 07:27:31 pm »
Snow in Suffolk, lying in the clearing.

My rescheduled trip is tomorrow, can I have a report from Southampton way please?

You don't want to be around if it's cancelled again... 
*stamps foot, petulant pout*

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #2240 on: 16 December, 2010, 07:37:12 pm »
IN the south Penines, the snow stopped about 4pm and the sky cleared - cue sharp temperature drop. When I left work, the roads were glistening with crystal ice.
Took the scenic route home - very few vehicles , glorious whitescape in a half moon.
Passed the local gritter imbedded in a dry stone wall at the top of Froggat... Bunch of peoples standing around in the howling northerly scratching their heads.

« Reply #2241 on: 16 December, 2010, 07:55:01 pm »
Its snowed on wet here  and now the temperatures dropped well below zero so its all frozon. Just been to pick stepdaughter up from work and even the high street is like a skating rink. 

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2242 on: 16 December, 2010, 08:02:23 pm »
OMG.  I just popped over the road.  The temperature has plummeted in the couple of hours since I rode home.  The road I live on is an ice rink.

Be very careful tomorrow morning.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #2243 on: 16 December, 2010, 08:32:31 pm »
OMG.  I just popped over the road.  The temperature has plummeted in the couple of hours since I rode home.  The road I live on is an ice rink.

Be very careful tomorrow morning.

+1, it rained here heavily most of the day effectively removing any salt from the road. Now temps are falling fast on already-wet roads. it's gunna be dodgy in the morning!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2244 on: 16 December, 2010, 08:35:15 pm »

I just put the bin out and came to the same conclusion.  Am wearing my standard issue well-worn Doc Martens (famed for their complete lack of grip) and nearly had an arse-over-tit moment on the pavement outside.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2245 on: 16 December, 2010, 08:36:29 pm »
Getting well covered already. I'm throughly scunnered with this weather.
No apologies for crapness of photo, or for the dirty window for that matter.

Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2246 on: 16 December, 2010, 09:39:24 pm »
Nowt like that round here, though it's been snowing since before 6pm.  Not really settling, but I expect a drop in temperature overnight will change that.
Getting there...

« Reply #2247 on: 16 December, 2010, 09:41:19 pm »
Driving back from Sussex this evening I passed some fairly blizzardy bits. Mostly it wasn't laying, but it was on the hill near Caterham and in some of the higher places. A lot of people weren't modifying their driving so I expect there'll be some accidents. The accident I witnessed was due to some numpty not understanding the concept of roundabouts, not the the weather though. ::-)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2248 on: 16 December, 2010, 11:40:33 pm »
North west London coming on line now.  Egads, these are Large Lumps.

And very becoming they are as well if I may say so.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2249 on: 17 December, 2010, 12:21:01 am »
-4 here with clear skies.

Was slippy walking back from the pub though.
It is simpler than it looks.