Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639492 times)

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #2275 on: 17 December, 2010, 12:11:49 pm »
Derby.  Blue sky.  Bright sunshine.  A little snow (1cm or less) still lying on the garden from a brief flurry yesterday evening.

You can keep all your snow down south.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2276 on: 17 December, 2010, 12:14:48 pm »
Intermittent heavy/light snow in SE1. Already hearing reports of trains being cancelled. Journey home is going to be no fun at all.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2277 on: 17 December, 2010, 12:36:30 pm »
I had all morning in which I could have gone to Sainsbury's but instead decided to wait until this arvo.  About an hour of SNO in E17; seems to have stopped now but the side road is nicely covered.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #2278 on: 17 December, 2010, 12:39:14 pm »
here in Southampton we have sun  8)

LindaG

« Reply #2279 on: 17 December, 2010, 12:40:37 pm »
Sunny in Toytown as well, but oh boy it's cold.  Last night's dusting of snow is still visible on the grassy bits, bit the pavements are covered in invisible ice. 

« Reply #2280 on: 17 December, 2010, 12:44:06 pm »
Just started here in Reading, after a sunny spell.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #2281 on: 17 December, 2010, 01:03:54 pm »
Must have snowed here in SW6 as it is a bit white outside.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #2282 on: 17 December, 2010, 01:09:47 pm »
Been a bit at home (south Bucks), enough for our lane to have two tyre tracks down it apparently, but sunny again now. Still nothing here in Corby.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #2283 on: 17 December, 2010, 01:12:31 pm »
Clear blue sky and falling snow here in South Wales! Beat that!  :thumbsup:

Basically, sunshine and showers... :-\
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

« Reply #2284 on: 17 December, 2010, 01:14:55 pm »
Same here!

Snow stopped, sun came out, snow's now started again.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #2285 on: 17 December, 2010, 02:02:18 pm »
Warwick got a very quick 1cm earlier today, but it's sunny now.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #2286 on: 17 December, 2010, 02:39:01 pm »
A flurry just now in Brighton, which I guess must be icy grains rather than soft and fluffy as it is making pretty patterns on the tarmac as it blows about.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #2287 on: 17 December, 2010, 02:45:44 pm »
had some reasonably heavy snow around lunchtime but it's stopped now

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #2288 on: 17 December, 2010, 02:51:42 pm »
A flurry just now in Brighton, which I guess must be icy grains rather than soft and fluffy as it is making pretty patterns on the tarmac as it blows about.

Not in my part of Brighton it isn't.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2289 on: 17 December, 2010, 02:55:38 pm »
-3 here with clear skies.
Partner imaging Orion Nebula...

-2 now. Snow earlier; skies clear now.
Partner imaging the Sun.

Robin visting our mini-greenhouse earlier looked most festive with SNO covered background.

« Reply #2290 on: 17 December, 2010, 03:28:40 pm »

Not in my part of Brighton it isn't.

It stopped for a bit, but is tipping it down now. I can see the end of the street but not much further and it is settling on the road. I do live up one of our bigger hills though.

« Reply #2291 on: 17 December, 2010, 03:41:14 pm »
It has been snowing here on an off all morning and we have about 6 inches of fresh snow settled. It's -0.2C at what is probably the warmest time of day.

The schools were closed at lunch time and the kids sent home. Props to my 16 year old son for cycling to school today (personally I wouldn't have dared!) , he told me it was a bit dodgy on the roads but the cycle path was OK because was fresh snow and not ice.

The bad news is I am working night shifts for the next 3 nights and so have to brave the roads later. I am taking my dogs to work with me just in case I cannot get home tomorrow!

« Reply #2292 on: 17 December, 2010, 04:57:28 pm »
I think we've had less than 6 mm so far, & it's melted where the sun shone on tarmac, slate, etc. through it. Freezing now.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #2293 on: 17 December, 2010, 05:00:07 pm »
Hmm, I think it might be serious this time. Could be a whole new world to wake up to tomorrow. Glad we did all the shopping today.

« Reply #2294 on: 17 December, 2010, 05:03:40 pm »
Just been out for a little ride on my partner's MTB!!  Lovely!
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2295 on: 17 December, 2010, 05:41:19 pm »
Got sent home early again today, so had a couple of drinks in Brewdog before going home  :thumbsup:

Chris S

« Reply #2296 on: 17 December, 2010, 05:49:54 pm »
It's bracing out there this evening. Once again, forgot to get the milk in this morning - so that's six pints of completely solid milk thawing out in the kitchen :).

I don't see any need to go outside these walls for the next few days. At least, not until the wine runs out.

simonp

« Reply #2297 on: 17 December, 2010, 05:56:20 pm »
It's bracing out there this evening. Once again, forgot to get the milk in this morning - so that's six pints of completely solid milk thawing out in the kitchen :).

I don't see any need to go outside these walls for the next few days. At least, not until the wine runs out.

How strong's the roof?  :demon:

I plans to visit the gym this evening.

LindaG

« Reply #2298 on: 17 December, 2010, 06:11:07 pm »
Crikey.  Nor'n Ireland has been coloured in RED by the Met office.  Must be bad eh?

simonp

« Reply #2299 on: 17 December, 2010, 06:14:48 pm »
Crikey.  Nor'n Ireland has been coloured in RED by the Met office.  Must be bad eh?

Further very heavy snow is likely giving additional accumulations of 10-20 cm in many places.

Widespread disruption of transport networks is likely and only essential travel should be undertaken.

I'm still going to the gym, though, since it's not in NI.